DVDVR Message Board

NBA - 2013-14 Regular Season - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

I'm torn. That's a badass logo. But the old Hornet's logo is pretty iconic. I guess it's time for a new change since that logo was used in New Orleans but I will always love that goofy bug.

Love rules. The T-Wolves are a surprisingly inefficient offensive team. Love's shooting 44% which isn't awesome but he gets so many extra possessions and closes so many out that he makes up for it. But the only guy on the team shooting above 50% is Pekovic. The rest of that team isn't doing too well. Martin's putting in a lot of points but if you take away his shooting from deep he's not all that great. And Rubio and JJ Barea are awful.

Minnesota also plays in the West. They'd a three or a four seed in the East. They're 7-4 against East teams. They lost to the Heat and Pacers, which everyone does. They almost pulled off a 23 point comeback against the Cavs and Love had a three at the buzzer rim out in one of those losses, too. The other was a 4 point loss against the Wizards that was tied with a minute to go.They're five points away from being 9-2 against that conference. It just goes to show what a murder's row the friggin' West is. They did hand the Blazers their worst loss of the year this year, to their credit.

I wish their was some Commissioner's Rule that could eliminate conferences this season. Golden State wouldn't make the playoffs right now -- think of how crazy that is, since they're a really f'n good team. Memphis got bit by the injury bug and might not make the playoffs but were in the conference finals last season.

There could be a whole generation of kids who will only see one good team in the eastern time zone for a five-seven year stretch. No one is even close to Miami or the Pacers.

Eh.  I never seem to be as high on Kevin Love as most fans.  He can ball offensively, but I don't think he's a great two-way player.  While I know he hasn't had the best supporting cast in Minnesota, the fact he gets any MVP murmurs when his teams hasn't even been in the playoffs is interesting.  I won't say he can't lead a team because even Dirk, who isn't know for his defense either, found the right supporting cast in the right year.  Maybe he'll find it too. Odds are not in his favor though. I will say his talents might be better suited as a number 2 or at least 1.b. with another superstar.

Also, the Christmas games aren't looking great on paper right now.  Thanks NBA for scheduling another Lakers Vs. Heat game.  They need to give up on that pipe dream.

• Like 1

Eenteresting stuff on Grantland about the NBA considering a fixed draft cycle.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/86940/the-nbas-possible-solution-for-tanking-good-bye-to-the-lottery-hello-to-the-wheel

Grantland obtained a copy of the proposal, which would eliminate the draft lottery and replace it with a system in which each of the 30 teams would pick in a specific first-round draft slot once — and exactly once — every 30 years. Each team would simply cycle through the 30 draft slots, year by year, in a predetermined order designed so that teams pick in different areas of the draft each year. Teams would know with 100 percent certainty in which draft slots they would pick every year, up to 30 years out from the start of every 30-year cycle. The practice of protecting picks would disappear; there would never be a Harrison Barnes–Golden State situation again, and it wouldn’t require a law degree to track ownership of every traded pick leaguewide.

Eenteresting stuff on Grantland about the NBA considering a fixed draft cycle.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/86940/the-nbas-possible-solution-for-tanking-good-bye-to-the-lottery-hello-to-the-wheel

Grantland obtained a copy of the proposal, which would eliminate the draft lottery and replace it with a system in which each of the 30 teams would pick in a specific first-round draft slot once — and exactly once — every 30 years. Each team would simply cycle through the 30 draft slots, year by year, in a predetermined order designed so that teams pick in different areas of the draft each year. Teams would know with 100 percent certainty in which draft slots they would pick every year, up to 30 years out from the start of every 30-year cycle. The practice of protecting picks would disappear; there would never be a Harrison Barnes–Golden State situation again, and it wouldn’t require a law degree to track ownership of every traded pick leaguewide.

So basically the NBA doesn't want teams to build there teams via the draft.

I actually really like that proposal as a way to end tanking, but it would fuck the small market teams even more.  Let's say Utah has the first pick this year and the Lakers have the first pick next year.  Would Wiggins or Parker just stay in an extra year to end up in LA?