DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING GIFS.

It's funny that the Robinson backbreaker (which he obviously didn't invent because this footage is from when he was 19!) just sort of disappeared after the early 80s. Buddy Rose used it as his finished in Portland and it's just GONE after that.

Guest Edwin
28 minutes ago, Matt D said:

It's funny that the Robinson backbreaker (which he obviously didn't invent because this footage is from when he was 19!) just sort of disappeared after the early 80s. Buddy Rose used it as his finished in Portland and it's just GONE after that.

Bobby Eaton was using it in the 90's.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I will not have you slandering King Slender in this fashion.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, MapRef41N93W said:

OK now that gutbuster might be my new favorite. I wish I lived in the alternate universe where backbreakers and gutbusters became ubiquitous instead of destroyers and crummy suicide dives.

One of my all-time favorite spots is Dean Malenko's avalanche gutbuster.  If I had to choose between that move an any random move on the apron for things that look devastating, give me the gutbuster...and probabl a whole lot safer to do.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

One of my all-time favorite spots is Dean Malenko's avalanche gutbuster.  If I had to choose between that move an any random move on the apron for things that look devastating, give me the gutbuster...and probabl a whole lot safer to do.

Just don't post your arm like Jerry Lynn (as Mr. JL) did during the Christmas Nitro episode in 1995. Got a nice little broken arm out of the deal.

Guest Edwin

BDdlNfd.gif

Dick Togo's tope atómico is the best.

And yes, that's Bryan Danielson on the other end. Unfortunately Danielson spends most of the time working opposite Katsushi Takemura and Togo opposite Kaz Hayashi.

Guest Edwin

qD5CBRB.gif

Was rewatching this today. Remembered Nigel having a series of wicked lariat variations. Despite being a Nigel showcase to the Noah fans for the most part, it was one of the better Kotaro singles matches I can recall seeing.

Alex Hammerstone said on twitter that he used to be all about the Backbreakers, but he had to cut them out because they were messing his knees up. So that might be why nobody does them any more.

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Probably, but no offense to Hammerstone, he looks like he misses leg days often.

Yeah.... no:

Spoiler

• Like 2

Some cool stuff next week with Jack Laskin (will get to that later; he had an interesting life and wrote a book that none of us have read) but the JIP match is Ami Sola vs Paul Debusne. Sola we've seen before though that was against Bibi and this is against more of a goony stooge and played for laughs. 

Case in point:

XL2Byv.gif

There was a lot of meanness too, though it was pretty catty really. Right before this, Debusne ran Sola into the corner on a slam and punched him in the crotch a couple of times. This is his revenge.

vlr6W8.gif

And immediately after the stooging is a Sola foul kick.

Right before this, Sola flipped Debusne so he was trapped in the ropes and peppered in punches and knees. Debusne gets no respect from the ref:

NLyoV2.gif

After this is Pierre Bernaert vs Laurent Dauthuille . Bernaert was a boxer so I'm really interested to see the strikes there. (EDIT: Ok Dauthuille was the boxer and that makes a lot more sense when watching the match)

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

I'm happier for knowing about Dauthuille, for knowing we have a match of his, and for seeing this footage of him vs Jake LaMotta and coming so close to his belt (see the end of the post).

A lot of the match is building up to him throwing fists into Bernaert's face and Bernaert staying live with dirty tricks and leg dives, BUT, he could still do stuff like this:

vlry68.gif

When he does get him, it goes like this:

RODmvV.gif

I would not want to mess with this guy:

5QXkoY.gif

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3