Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Dolfan in NYC

MAR 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I'm guessing that the missing exgf is still an on-going investigation and I have a feeling that it will end very poorly for Hart. 

There is a 0% chance this won't end with a Keith Morrison narrated episode of Dateline NBC, complete with multiple scenes of Teddy in an interrogation room. NBC loves stories about pretty white girls who go missing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

There is a 0% chance this won't end with a Keith Morrison narrated episode of Dateline NBC, complete with multiple scenes of Teddy in an interrogation room. NBC loves stories about pretty white girls who go missing.

*Interview with Tyson Kidd*

”Yeah, I feel awful for the girl, but I guess the worst part for me is that my wife took in Teddy’s cats when he got locked up, and the LAST THING WE NEEDED WAS MORE FUCKING CATS.”

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The various ongoing discussions around Bret, Danielson, Punk and their (for better or worse) theory/mindset on pro wrestling got me wondering, who is your best wrestler that has a totally different idea of what makes good wrestling than you do?

Like Shawn Michaels especially after his return, did a lot to advance the epic formula that we’ve all beat up on enough over the past 15+ years, but the dude could clearly go. And Kurt Angle with his ridiculous-ass talent, kind of suffered from coming up in that era with that definition of “good wrestling”. 

Like compare this to Punk who has IMO a bad idea of good in-ring wrestling and is bad at executing it. Or Bryan who excels at both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2020 at 3:23 PM, Technico Support said:

Can't wait for Braun to tweet about how he worked hard to earn that Mania main event spot and by the way fuck the poors

QFT. Braun Strowman's a dickhead.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, that group shot really underscores how similar every male wrestler in NXT:UK looks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Man, that group shot really underscores how similar every male wrestler in NXT:UK looks.

It's as if someone told them all that being clean shaven was Flash Morgan Webster's gimmick and nobody was allowed to infringe upon that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Man, that group shot really underscores how similar every male wrestler in NXT:UK looks.

It looks like an Alt-Right convention.

  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Man, that group shot really underscores how similar every male wrestler on both NXT brands look.

FTFY

Really I brought the beard thing up whenever I talked about the Forgotten Sons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Becky Lynch talking to Ariel Helwani.

That thumbnail looks very cam girl-y.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Who is the guy with the Union Jack mask?

2. Who told him that was a good idea?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

1. Who is the guy with the Union Jack mask?

2. Who told him that was a good idea?

1. El Ligero

2. I think he’s a Egotistico Fantastico/El Generico mark. I think that type of gimmick has run its course.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless my man puts a top part on that mask his name should be The Uncut European. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

Man, that group shot really underscores how similar every male wrestler in NXT:UK looks.

They don't look that similar to me aside from a few. I'm curious just how would you change their look to be more different from each other.

43 minutes ago, AxB said:

It's as if someone told them all that being clean shaven was Flash Morgan Webster's gimmick and nobody was allowed to infringe upon that. 

Barthel and Walter are clean shaven

8 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

1. El Ligero

2. I think he’s a Egotistico Fantastico/El Generico mark. I think that type of gimmick has run its course.

He has been wrestling as long as both guys. Considering the name it seems more likely a slight tribute to luchadors and Liger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I get from watching a couple of episodes, and the overall opinion of NXT UK is that it’s a very lukewarm version of the US take on NXT. Even if the wrestlers looked slightly different, the very bland booking of it would still lose the attention of fans. 

The UK version of American Gladiator, NXT UK isn’t.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It doesn't pretend to be a developmental training facility. It is just all the biggest stars from the UK indie circuit, having matches that are half as good as their indie matches, drawing half the fans that their indie matches drew (and getting paid more for it, so good on them I suppose). Only because the schedule is only, what, two Takeovers are year, and that's the only time they get to go all out (and not all of them even get booked on Takeovers, or get those epic match times when they are), a lot of the UK fans do think of NXT UK as the school bully who stole your favourite toys, and expects you to be grateful that he lets you watch him play with them.

El Ligero's been wrestling as El Ligero since 2002. He had a few matches under his real name before that, but didn't feel right being Wrestling Superstar Simon from Leeds, so he became a fake Mexican. He's not a Generico mark, he's a Rey Jr./ Jushin Liger mark. But the Union Jack mask does look rubbish, to be fair.

Edited by AxB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much every white guy doing an unironic lucha gimmick can fuck off.  And most of the ironic ones should stop, too.

Which makes me wonder if Sami left WWE, would he continue working unmasked under his real name or go back to Generico?  Probably a case to be made for each, from a business perspective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eivion said:

They don't look that similar to me aside from a few. I'm curious just how would you change their look to be more different from each other.


I know where I'd start.

giphy.gif


There are five clean shaven men in that photo, six if you count Ligero but I have no idea if he has a beard or not. Ligero is pretty goofy, but at least he looks distinctive. Everyone else is just so same-y, with their hip "I grow hair everywhere except the sides of my head" look. They look like an indie-folk collective.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eivion said:

He has been wrestling as long as both guys. Considering the name it seems more likely a slight tribute to luchadors and Liger.

In interviews, he's said it's a tribute to luchadors.  He picked the name out of a Spanish dictionary (el ligero translates as "the lightweight").  Interestingly, he never intended to be a masked wrestler.  He wore the mask when he started out because he was nervous and figured he could ditch the mask when he got some confidence.  The gimmick caught on and he's never unmasked.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also surprising that only Xia has wacky hair on the womens side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, elizium said:

It looks like an Alt-Right convention.

It is really quite odd that when the WWE was putting together the early NXT UK roster, they just forgot to sign any black wrestlers. Jinny is Asian and Noam Dar is Jewish, as far as that goes, but there were more black guys in that first UK Title Tournament than there are on the current roster. And it's not because all the current BAME British wrestlers completely suck, because some of them are fantastic.

I thought WWE had signed Man Like Dereiss, but apparently he was just doing extra work on one taping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AxB said:

It doesn't pretend to be a developmental training facility. It is just all the biggest stars from the UK indie circuit, having matches that are half as good as their indie matches, drawing half the fans that their indie matches drew (and getting paid more for it, so good on them I suppose). Only because the schedule is only, what, two Takeovers are year, and that's the only time they get to go all out (and not all of them even get booked on Takeovers, or get those epic match times when they are), a lot of the UK fans do think of NXT UK as the school bully who stole your favourite toys, and expects you to be grateful that he lets you watch him play with them.

Even then, it just shows the reason why it can't compare to the US version of NXT- just because it's "the biggest UK indie stars under one roof."

Best example there- Nikki Cross has managed to become a dynamic character, both in NXT and on the main roster, doing completely different acts on both places. She's ended up becoming good as the insane Sanity member and as the happy sidekick to Alexa Bliss, and in the process proved there's some range to make her good.

...and if she came up from NXT-UK, it wouldn't have happened. She would still be the White Chocolate Cheesecake of Sports Entertainment. She would never be allowed to develop any other character than that. That would be all she was, and she'd be putting on random matches for no apparent reason.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...