DVDVR Message Board

2019-20 NBA: 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

Interesting. At least game 1 of the '89 finals on YouTube is in much better VQ than the '04 finals. Maybe this aired on ESPN classics or NBA TV more recently as opposed to vhs dubs.

FL Governor Ron DeSantis has declared pro sports as "essential services" in Florida according to an NBC Sports report.  Meaning the NBA can play their season in empty arenas/gyms in Florida.  

COMING SOON THE ST. AUGUSTINE BUCKS TAKE ON THE KEY WEST LAKERS!

I know everybody already knows this, but it's a pandemic and I'm going down NBA holes these days.

Oklahoma City in three consecutive drafts selected three future league MVPs and Serge Ibaka. And won zero titles. How the fuck are either of those things possible?

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

Because they followed up their only trip to the finals with this:

In the 2012 NBA draft, the Thunder selected Baylor University forward Perry Jones III with the 28th overall pick. The Thunder also signed free agents Hasheem Thabeet and Daniel Orton, and signed guards Andy Rautins and DeAndre Liggins. They re-signed forward Serge Ibaka to a four-year, $48 million extension. After failing to sign James Harden to an extension that was reportedly worth four years and $52 million, the team decided to trade Harden rather than having to pay the luxury tax penalty

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zimbra said:

In the 2012 NBA draft, the Thunder selected Baylor University forward Perry Jones III with the 28th overall pick. The Thunder also signed free agents Hasheem Thabeet and Daniel Orton, and signed guards Andy Rautins and DeAndre Liggins. They re-signed forward Serge Ibaka to a four-year, $48 million extension. After failing to sign James Harden to an extension that was reportedly worth four years and $52 million, the team decided to trade Harden rather than having to pay the luxury tax penalty

If only they’d been smart enough to draft Draymond Green or Khris Middleton. I know Draymond is a head case, but he’s still a million times better than Jones was. I don’t know what’s worse either the garbage signings or the steaming pile of crap they got in the Harden trade.

• Like 2

I can't fault teams too much for passing on Draymond since no one really projected him as anything other than a role player and I think there's a good argument that Draymond doesn't become "Draymond" without the very particular situation in Golden State.

I think the real reasons for them not winning a title, in no particular order, are bad luck/timing with injuries, failure to add shooting or wing depth, and sticking with Scott Brooks too long.  Blowing several draft picks certainly didn't help.

I also think the Kendrick Perkins trade was extremely bad and probably contributed to them never winning.

40 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I can't fault teams too much for passing on Draymond since no one really projected him as anything other than a role player and I think there's a good argument that Draymond doesn't become "Draymond" without the very particular situation in Golden State.

I think the real reasons for them not winning a title, in no particular order, are bad luck/timing with injuries, failure to add shooting or wing depth, and sticking with Scott Brooks too long.  Blowing several draft picks certainly didn't help.

I also think the Kendrick Perkins trade was extremely bad and probably contributed to them never winning.

Oh for sure on both of your later two points. Scott Brooks should have never lasted as long as he did, and the Perkins trade was yet another in a serious of ridiculous moves. 

My dad (while he was alive) was a Thunder fan, and his main complaint other than Scott Brooks was their lack of wing depth. Every year until KD left he kept waiting for them to get someone worthwhile, and it never happened. 

I put less blame on Brooks now than I did at the time. Once they finally fired him and got Donovan, the exact same problems were there. To much "my turn, your turn", not enough staggering Russ and KD, using KD as a decoy/spot up shooter on Russ/Adams PnR.

The NBA and NBAPA agreed to a deal where starting May 15, players will have 25% of their checks withheld

The NBA actually wanted it to be 50%

Players who received their checks monthly instead of bi-monthly might need to give some money back

Just starting "The Last Dance" and I can say something that is not something new. Not bringing this team back is the dumbest decision in sports history and people that defended it then or now are akin to flat earthers or Russo defenders. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

Just starting "The Last Dance" and I can say something that is not something new. Not bringing this team back is the dumbest decision in sports history and people that defended it then or now are akin to flat earthers or Russo defenders. 

At their peak, who was more famous Michael Jordan or Michael Jackson?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

At their peak, who was more famous Michael Jordan or Michael Jackson?  

Wow, that's a brutal question. I'd say slight edge to Jordan, but I am more of a sports fan. I would really have to hear from other countries because I have no idea as far the NBA's popularity worldwide at that point. 

What's your take?

4 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

Wow, that's a brutal question. I'd say slight edge to Jordan, but I am more of a sports fan. I would really have to hear from other countries because I have no idea as far the NBA's popularity worldwide at that point. 

What's your take?

Here's the thing, Michael Jackson was super famous internationally as a musician...that's something everyone can relate to, but there are plenty of famous musicians.  Michael Jordan was THE professional athlete at his peak.  The popularity of the NBA worldwide at the time was the popularity of Michael Jordan at the time.  The only reason the NBA is international is because Michael Jordan was international.  Michael Jackson was incredibly famous, but I don't think Michael Jackson would have been as popular if there weren't decades of international music stars that came before him.  Michael Jordan got to be that famous in a sport that most of the planet wouldn't have cared about if it wasn't for him.   Michael Jackson was probably more famous, but he was able to ride to that fame on perfectly paved roads in a brand new BMW.  Michael Jordan didn't have a road, he paved the road...and he still may be the most famous person of my lifetime.

• Like 2

You sometimes see those stories about couple traveling to countries and being shocked to see Jordan jerseys.

Anyway, those first two episodes were great, and not trying to run that team until the wheels fell off remains just inexplicable and, really, professional malfeasance.

• Like 4

I’d think Ali was the modern famous modern athlete, with Jordan a close second, then probably followed by some combination of Pele/Maradona/Messi/CR7.

the ranking likely depends on how your think telecommunications shrank the world, so you could have people in (insert remote part of the world) watching games on TV/cable/internet vs word of mouth/newspapers/close circuit. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

Here's the thing, Michael Jackson was super famous internationally as a musician...that's something everyone can relate to, but there are plenty of famous musicians.  Michael Jordan was THE professional athlete at his peak.  The popularity of the NBA worldwide at the time was the popularity of Michael Jordan at the time.  The only reason the NBA is international is because Michael Jordan was international.  Michael Jackson was incredibly famous, but I don't think Michael Jackson would have been as popular if there weren't decades of international music stars that came before him.  Michael Jordan got to be that famous in a sport that most of the planet wouldn't have cared about if it wasn't for him.   Michael Jackson was probably more famous, but he was able to ride to that fame on perfectly paved roads in a brand new BMW.  Michael Jordan didn't have a road, he paved the road...and he still may be the most famous person of my lifetime.

Even then, I'd go with Michael Jackson being more famous. 

Saying that it's just 'the NBA's popularity" is still a little hard to go with because even the NBA's popularity was rising through the '80s, with Magic Johnson being just popular enough to be able to put himself in with Michael Jordan at its peak, and Magic vs. Bird starting to pave the road for Jordan. Indeed, it wasn't until the 1990s that Jordan really broke out of the pack and became that popular and became THE pro athlete, and even then you can argue before the second three-peat Magic was still more famous than Jordan. Heck, "Magic announcing he had HIV" had a case to be the 1990s "where were you when you heard..." moment. 

If you can make a strong case Jordan wasn't the most famous basketball player of his contemporaries, Jordan probably wasn't the most famous person of the era.

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I’d think Ali was the modern famous modern athlete, with Jordan a close second, then probably followed by some combination of Pele/Maradona/Messi/CR7.

the ranking likely depends on how your think telecommunications shrank the world, so you could have people in (insert remote part of the world) watching games on TV/cable/internet vs word of mouth/newspapers/close circuit. 

There was a tradeoff...Jordan being decidedly apolitical kept Ali in that top spot. In return, Jordan gets shoe and apparel sales.

So many really cool things watching the first 2 episodes:

1.  I was looking forward to them talking about the 63 point game against the Celtics but when LL Cool J "I'm Bad" started up I was more than fucking fired up.  

2.  I had no idea that Michael Jordan that was on basically the Stephen Strasburg pitch count in his 2nd season.   I mean 14 minutes a game for someone that competitive had to be killing him.   And like Strasburg I would argue that it worked in the long run.  Granted it is much harder for this argument because had no chance against the Celtics 

3.  The stories of the Bulls pre-Jordan was pretty cool.  The "traveling cocaine circus" as I think they called it and being so irrelevant that the NASL team was out drawing them.  

4.  I remember hearing Jordan saying that he was worried about his image after this.  And yeah he definitely comes off like an asshole at times.  But I think it is under the guise of being extremely competitive.  The best example of this was them winning that McDonalds Cup in France and rookies were so excited and Jordan looked so pissed off that these idiots were excited about a meaningless championship.  

7 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

If you can make a strong case Jordan wasn't the most famous basketball player of his contemporaries, Jordan probably wasn't the most famous person of the era.

You can't make a strong case, or even a weak case, that any basketball player ever is anywhere close to as famous as Michael Jordan.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Hakeem and the Rockets would have beaten Jordan and the Bulls in 94 and 95.

If Pat Riley didn't make just about the biggest coaching blunder in NBA and allow John Starks to take and miss 865 3 point attempts you wouldn't have beaten the Knicks.

• Like 4