Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

2020 MOVIE DISCUSSION


Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, Control said:

There are a ton of kung fu films on Prime. Any suggestions? I thought FIVE ELEMENTS NINJAS was amazing.

Do you want the long list or the short list?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Do you want the long list or the short list?

Lol, top 5?

I’m  thinking HEROES OF THE EAST  or CRIPPLED AVENGERS is next.

Edited by Control
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Control said:

Lol, top 5?

I’m  thinking HEROES OF THE EAST  or CRIPPLED AVENGERS is next.

Both of those are good choices.  If you want to go Heroes of the East, I'd suggest watching Eight-Diagram Pole Fighter and The 36 Chambers of Shaolin along with it as those are arguably Gordon Liu's best movies. That's the short list.

If you are going to go Crippled Avengers, then you get the long list of Venom Mob goodness:

Kid With The Golden Arm, House of Traps, Two Champions of Shaolin, Avenging Warriors of Shaolin, Magnificent Ruffians, Ten Tigers from Kwangtung, Flag of Iron, and Rebel Intruders.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I still get angry thinking about Interstellar

"I choose love."

FUUUUUCK YOOOOUUUUU

Just a soul-crushingly awful ending to what had been a good movie. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love almost all of Interstellar. The only part I didn't care for was the weird, almost studio driven need to include a villain. I could have done without that whole sequence of the movie. I didn't even think that part was bad, it's just that there's already so much tension from their mission that it didn't need a surprise guest cameo that was a villain.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys misunderstand me.  As soon as the respected female scientist, played by Anne Hathaway, cites love as a scientific principle as her reasoning to go to some planet, I tapped right the fuck out on that movie.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

And the weird ass hippie sit-in. And the surf rock score. And the bizarre as hell animated sequence.

The weirdest Godzilla movie by large margin. Fantastic

If it weren't for Godzilla's Revenge I'd agree. Latchkey kid who fantasizes about monsters gets kidnapped by burglars and foils them Home Alone style, then stands up to his bullies, is just a tad stranger. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Craig H said:

I love almost all of Interstellar. The only part I didn't care for was the weird, almost studio driven need to include a villain. I could have done without that whole sequence of the movie. I didn't even think that part was bad, it's just that there's already so much tension from their mission that it didn't need a surprise guest cameo that was a villain.

I totally understand; see almost every space film, especially 'Sunshine'.  Neat visuals, great actors, awesome effects, incredible score, super intense and engrossing and then

it needlessly becomes a monster movie in space: crazy sunburn man is coming to get you cuz he's craaaazy!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing about Christopher Nolan movies is, ever since the "There were no deleted scenes on the Batman Begins DVD because every scene we shot is in the movie" thing, he's decided his shit doesn't stink. The pacing of Interstellar is all over the place (and so is the plotting for that matter), The Dark Knight would have been better as one film about the Joker and then another film about Two Face (instead of being a film and a half), DKR is just stupid all over and Dunkirk is ego wank.

Also, all of his movies are Randian Neo-Con propaganda about how society is at it'sbest when the working classes know their place and let rich people do what they want.

Edited by AxB
Punctuation and that
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I somehow came across The Dirt (the Motley Crue docudrama) on Netflix last night and ended up staying up and watching it. Dumb, sleazy fun with actors that looked remarkably like their namesakes. The book is legendarily full of shit but this streamlined version seemed factual enough. It actually inspired me to listen to Shout at the Devil again, which I always thought only had like four good songs, and was surprised to find the entire album was good -- not Too Fast for Love good, but good.

The reason I found it was probably because I was looking for The Wolf of Wall Street, which I finally saw some of yesterday on IFC where it was finally uncut on TV. I'd avoided it for years out of total distaste for the characters but honestly, it's hilarious... in a horrible, horrible way. And then go figure, I try and find it to DVR and it's gone from the channel. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I see most production companies agreeing to lower timeframe between movie release to digital from 42 days down to 17.

Not great news for existence of cinema. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, driver said:

I've never seen Interstellar and from what I've read here I don't I will.

 

You're not missing anything.  It has a billion plot holes and is just generally awful.  And it has the worst sound of all-time - quiet dialogue mixed with unbearably loud music. 

Saw it with two friends and we made fun of it for weeks afterward.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Tabe said:

You're not missing anything.  It has a billion plot holes and is just generally awful.  And it has the worst sound of all-time - quiet dialogue mixed with unbearably loud music. 

Saw it with two friends and we made fun of it for weeks afterward.

It's one of those films that is much better if you get stoned and turn the sound off and make up your own dialogue. (Not that I would know anything about such activities!)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

I always confuse Interstellar and Gravity.

Space exploration films do nothing for me at all.

You need three elements for a good space exploration flick:

1. Ship's robot that goes berserk and kills people.

2. Hostile environment on alien world (think carnivorous plants, camouflaged rock creatures, you get the idea...)

3. Hostile aliens that rip people to pieces just for kicks. 

That ought to do it, where's the popcorn? 

Edited by OSJ
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get me wrong, love a good sci-fi futuristic set in space film.

Anything involving NASA, astronauts, explorations, re-enactment of real life blah. Nope. Can't get into it. 

"Will they get sucked into space/survive it?" - Probably. Maybe an unimportant lower cast member dies.
"Will the ship be able to land?" - Yeah, probably. If not, there's a heroic sacrificial moment.
The end.

 

Edited by RolandTHTG
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2020 at 4:44 PM, J.T. said:

Both of those are good choices.  If you want to go Heroes of the East, I'd suggest watching Eight-Diagram Pole Fighter and The 36 Chambers of Shaolin along with it as those are arguably Gordon Liu's best movies. That's the short list.

If you are going to go Crippled Avengers, then you get the long list of Venom Mob goodness:

Kid With The Golden Arm, House of Traps, Two Champions of Shaolin, Avenging Warriors of Shaolin, Magnificent Ruffians, Ten Tigers from Kwangtung, Flag of Iron, and Rebel Intruders.

Leaving aside that Five Deadly Venoms is the greatest film ever made that doesn't have any supernatural elements, Ten Tigers from Kwangtung is RIGHT THERE. Just an excellent kung-fu film. We are being remiss by not pimping Master of the Flying Guillotine. Jimmy Wang Yu's films are simply amazing, both for his fetish about playing a one-armed character, but also for his ill-concealed, rabid hatred of the Japanese. If you thought American WWII propaganda was racist and offensive (and it most certainly was), you have seen nothing until you "treat" yourself to one of the films that he wrote and directed. Sweet tap-dancing Jeebus, it's amazing he didn't start a war with some of that shit.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Don't get me wrong, love a good sci-fi futuristic set in space film.

Anything involving NASA, astronauts, explorations, re-enactment of real life blah. Nope. Can't get into it. 

"Will they get sucked into space/survive it?" - Probably. Maybe an unimportant lower cast member dies.
"Will the ship be able to land?" - Yeah, probably. If not, there's a heroic sacrificial moment.
The end.

 

Ship lands.

Everyone is eaten by alien monsters.

The end.

You are watching the wrong films.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, OSJ said:

Leaving aside that Five Deadly Venoms is the greatest film ever made that doesn't have any supernatural elements, Ten Tigers from Kwangtung is RIGHT THERE. Just an excellent kung-fu film. We are being remiss by not pimping Master of the Flying Guillotine. Jimmy Wang Yu's films are simply amazing, both for his fetish about playing a one-armed character, but also for his ill-concealed, rabid hatred of the Japanese. If you thought American WWII propaganda was racist and offensive (and it most certainly was), you have seen nothing until you "treat" yourself to one of the films that he wrote and directed. Sweet tap-dancing Jeebus, it's amazing he didn't start a war with some of that shit.

I tried to stay off radar with my picks because I figure that movies like Five Deadly Venoms and Master of the Flying Guillotine are the types of movies that people just getting into kung fu movies tend to watch first.  I can't take for granted that people have seen the movies I've seen.  I'm still astonished by how many "aficionados" I meet that have never watched The Incredible Kung Fu Mission or The Mystery of Chess Boxing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched Smashing Time starring Rita Tushingham and Vanessa Redgrave. Redgrave's delivery of every line is fucking incredible. For the first time I looked at Michael York and thought he looked high and rapey. Which I guess worked for the character. I'm getting kind of obsessed with mod period 60's movies. Some of the techniques are so out there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...