DVDVR Message Board

2020 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

EdC9CzpU8AAvNt6?format=jpg&name=smallI like Inception (2010) about the same as I did ten years ago. I'd certainly take The Dark Knight (2008), Memento (2000) and Batman Begins (2005) in that order over it when it comes to ranking Christopher Nolan movies.

Edited by The Natural

23 minutes ago, The Natural said:
I like Inception (2010) about the same as I did ten years ago. I'd certainly take The Dark Knight (2008), Memento (2000) and Batman Begins (2005) in that order over it when it comes to ranking Christopher Nolan movies.

Inception was my least favorite Nolan movie until I saw Interstellar. I think The Prestige is my favorite.

12 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Inception was my least favorite Nolan movie until I saw Interstellar. I think The Prestige is my favorite.

Funny thing that about opinions, The Prestige (2006) is my least favourite. It's a film most people tend to like. Jingus did a better job than me saying why it's bottom of our Nolan movies way back in the day. I'm with you on Interstellar (2014).

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Christopher Nolan movies:

10. The Prestige (2006).

9. Interstellar (2014).

8. Dunkirk (2017).

7. Insomnia (2002).

6. The Dark Knight Rises (2012).

5. Inception (2010).

4. Following (1998).

3. Batman Begins (2005).

2. Memento (2000).

1. The Dark Knight (2008).

I need to give Dunkirk another go. Did little for me on my first watch through.  I won't be watching Interstellar again.

How have I never before heard of THE WRAITH (1986)? I mean, just read this description:

“Packard Walsh and his motorized gang control and terrorize an Arizona desert town where they force drivers to drag-race so they can 'win' their vehicles. After Walsh stabs the decent teenager Jamie Hankins to death for being intimate with a girl whom Walsh wants for himself, the mysterious Jake Kesey arrives, an extremely cool motor-biker with an invincible car. Jake befriends Jamie's girlfriend Keri Johnson, takes Jamie's sweet brother Billy under his wing and manages what Sheriff Loomis can not - the methodical and otherworldly elimination of Packard's criminal gang.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Holy fuck, dude, how can you be bros with me and have never seen The Wraith?  It is the kinder, gentler, and dumbed down version of The Crow but with one of the greatest prop cars ever made:  a Dodge M45 Turbo Interceptor with a fucking Cylon light on the front of it!

18jimo3trx75zjpg.jpg

Charlie Sheen's 80's hair is nigh perfect and it even has Clint Howard as a crazy ass savant mechanic working for the evil gang!

I have always wondered why the producers and writers of The Wraith never sued JO Barr for plagiarism.  The stories for The Wraith and The Crow are essentially the same. 

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Control said:

It is on Prime now, so I will rectify. Maybe make it a double feature with Knightriders.

The cast is 80's B-Movie magic.

27 year old Nick Cassavetes plays the bad guy, Sherilyn Fenn is the damsel in distress, and Randy Quaid is the town sheriff.

It is definitely one of those so horrible that it is awesome movies.  I will never say a bad word about it.  It is escapist revenge drivel of the highest order and Clint Howard's period piece hair defies gravity.  It is a marvelous movie.

Edited by J.T.

I watched the Quarry starring Shea Whigham and Michael Shannon today. I thought it was very good, It's a whodunit neo noir set in a small Texas Town. There's a murder that happens which coincides with the arrival of an enigmatic preacher with a sordid past into town. I wish I had looked into the Movies & TV thread in April I could have been posting my Redbox musings for the past 4 months.

5 hours ago, Control said:

It is on Prime now, so I will rectify. Maybe make it a double feature with Knightriders.

I was literally just coming in here to talk about Knightriders. It's on Tubi, so I just watched it for the first time.

The world is super cool. Love the internal rules of the troupe, where it is possible to defeat and become the new King. I just wish they had spent more time differentiating the different bikers, as they all wear basically the same black armour. The competition at the beginning is tough to follow, since everyone basically looks the same.

There are three really stand out performances; Ed Harris and Tom Savini, obviously. They have a great rapport as mostly friendly rivals. My absolute favourite performance is Brother Blue as Merlin. I really wish he'd done more, because he is fascinating and gives pobably the most natural performance in the cast.

The main issue is that it is obscenely long. 2 and a half hours and it does not zip by at all. There's really actually only an hour and a half of story but I guess Romero was feeling indulgent. I reached what I thought was getting to a wrap on the story, paused it and there was an hour left.

It did give us this wild image though (spoilered for more Tom Savini than probably should be seen):

Spoiler

G7SnTmU.jpg?1

Edited by elizium
  • Like 1