Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I honestly don't even use the kunai all that much.

I think I've started using them less once I found the charm that makes (Perfect) Parrying easier.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Show off

They're clutch AF on the brutes in ACT II though. If you aren't using them in I, you may want to think about it in II. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been replaying Darkest Dungeon to see if I actually care about the eventual Darkest Dungeon 2 that will come out.

I think I stand by my original opinion that almost all the big DLC is bad. Crimson Court sucks. The absurdely giant handcrafted maps suck. The Crimson Curse sucks and is straight up the worst thing in the game. Even after they've patched it at least twice, the Infesation mechanic on the regular maps sucks. The bosses don't feel balanced to the rest of the game, which sucks. Even running mods that remove/alter the curse doesn't make this content good or fun. A lot of the stuff they went for still makes me feel very much like the game's designers have a fundamental misunderstanding about what people loved in the game to begin with. The Colour of Madness endless mode DLC is sort of whatever. The game already has endless mode once you beat it anyway. 

The multiplayer DLC would actually be pretty good except that (1) it disconnects randomly like every 3rd match which is just a massive buzzkill and (2) balance needs some work. It's actually close to being quite good, but still fails. I hope they are not done tweaking it yet, because this could actually become really fun if it just worked right.

But there are two things that give me hope. One, as I hinted at above, is that modders can fix stuff. There is no reason to think Darkest Dungeon 2 won't have mod support. This is kind of where you see the XCom and Darkest Dungeon crossover that at least if you don't think the game is what you want there's a shot you can just change it. And two, the base game is still incredible. Like, just no-extra-DLC-levels Darkest Dungeon is one of the best turn based RPGs ever made. It's become a thing that I can turn on now and again when I just want to kill an hour, you run a dungeon or two, then come back again later. The stress system that gives you two things to defend (keep your HP up, keep your stress down) is a genuinely brilliant gameplay idea that once you've seen it you cannot imagine how no one thought of it before.

Overall I want to play 2. But I still have some skepticism when so much of the post-launch content missed the mark. Cautious optimism.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For whatever reason, I bought Skater XL and will pick it up tomorrow along with Destroy All Humans on Sunday. I have a feeling those two will be hard to find.

I got my 177th Platinum trophy with Devil May Cry 2 HD on PS3. Whatever you do, don't play this game. It's seriously terrible and the only way to Platinum it is to get an European copy and use the Infinite Devil Trigger cheat. Bloody Palace is impossible without it because the game is so poorly designed and implemented.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

I got my 177th Platinum trophy with Devil May Cry 2 HD on PS3. Whatever you do, don't play this game. It's seriously terrible and the only way to Platinum it is to get an European copy and use the Infinite Devil Trigger cheat. Bloody Palace is impossible without it because the game is so poorly designed and implemented.

LOL - When I fell into the DMC fandom, I bought 1, 2, and 3. I played Dante's half of 2 and got rid of it. Just awful. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JLSigman said:

LOL - When I fell into the DMC fandom, I bought 1, 2, and 3. I played Dante's half of 2 and got rid of it. Just awful. 

IMO, DmC Devil May Cry is a vastly superior game compared to DMC2, even DMC1. It's the only series I know of where the fans of it seem to prefer the shittier/earlier versions of the games in the series. I've seen idiots online argue that DMC2 is better than DmC somehow. Don't smoke crack, people.

The problem is DMC2 Dante's costume is the best costume has and I wonder if Capcom decides to remake the trilogy in the RE engine how it would look and how much of an improvement it could stand. DMC2 would have to be overhauled; I remember reading about the people involved saying that they had some problems getting the enemies to function correctly.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t played DMC1 in a long ass time, but I fondly remember playing it for the first time. It was the first legit great 3D Metroidvania by way of reinterpretation of a Resident Evil 4 that went through development hell. I sort of miss that structure in action RPG‘s that this, Onimusha, Ninja Gaiden, and even God of War had. The following DMC’s being very linear, and combat focused completely turned me off to the series. I did play DmC though because Giant Bomb went gaga for it. I did enjoy it, but it wasn’t the blow away stylized game they hyped it up as. I think to me the GoD series did it for me in that category without completely giving up that backtracking style.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Casey said:

blocking and parrying is your best friend in this game.

Yeah, I have to keep telling myself that this is not a button mashing game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jiji said:

They're clutch AF on the brutes in ACT II though. If you aren't using them in I, you may want to think about it in II. 

Heavenly Strike is clutch AF.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dance of Wrath > *

edit: I'm sad I've done all but one of the mythic tales. They are the coolest part of the game, though the main storyline missions aren't far behind, which is great because so many games these days it's that thing you have to endure to progress into new areas and such. I've really enjoyed it so far though I'm early in Act II so maybe it gets really bad. The mythic tales are really what they should be striving for throughout the entirety of the game in a sequel. Now that they have an engine and foundation for the game, hopefully if a sequel is made (I don't have much doubt) they can spend time fleshing out quests to be as glorious as mythic tales and make mythic tales even more cinematic, thoughtful and beautiful.

Spoiler

The Spirit of Yarikawa's Vengeance is VERY cool up until the final boss. They needed to show the woman's face and give her some character. 

 

Edited by Jiji
Link to post
Share on other sites

That Tsushima plat was very easy. I was exactly one trophy away after beating it, and it took me five minutes to get that last trophy.

That was the most pure fun I've had with a game since Spider-Man, probably. By the end of the game, Jin is basically Batman except very much into stabbing things. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yeah, I don't usually get through a game this quickly, but the extra time I have available in the midst of this pandemic plus how into the game I was led me to knocking this thing out in two weeks.

I'm very close to having nothing else to do: I have like fifteen Sashimono banners left and then seven or eight vanity variants for sword kits, etc. to buy. That's about it. I genuinely enjoyed this game because usually, I'll just leave that stuff alone if I'm done with a game, but I'm going to get back in and finish that stuff eventually. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of GOT, I got my 178th Platinum trophy with Game of Thrones (Telltale Games) on PS3. The game is fine when it's not running at 1fps in Chapter 6 on my PS3. After doing some hard Platinums, it was a nice change of pace.

(although I really need to work on GTA V on PS4 and maybe PS3 since @AxB has that over me)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a noobish PSN question (since I'm just getting into digital gaming).  When I access PSN from my PS4 and look at the PS4 store, a few Vita and PS3 games are listed for purchase, but it seems to be only games that support crossbuy.  Hotline Miami, for example.

But...when I access the PS3 store from the PS3 console, several hundred Vita games are listed for purchase.  Most of these games are not crossbuy/crossplay and a lot of them require the Vita touch controls so probably couldn't be played on PS3 anyway.  Examples are Rose in the Twilight and Nihilumbra, which were released for PS Vita but not PS3 or PS4.

I'm confused about why these games are listed.  If I purchase them from the PS3 store, can I actually play them on PS3?  I'm assuming not, but I don't know why they are showing up.  Is there any reason to purchase them through the PS3 store?

I don't own a Vita right now.  I used to, but I don't really get into handheld gaming, so when my Vita broke, I never replaced it.  I do own PS TV, which plays the majority of the Vita catalog and gets far more use in my house than the Vita.  Haven't hooked it up since I started checking out digital gaming, but I will eventually.

Wish I had gotten into digital gaming sooner.  Probably won't replace physical copies for me in most instances, but there are a lot of good digital titles out there I've never played.

Fun fact: I've never tried to use my Switch undocked, even just to make sure it works properly undocked.

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

Got a noobish PSN question (since I'm just getting into digital gaming).  When I access PSN from my PS4 and look at the PS4 store, a few Vita and PS3 games are listed for purchase, but it seems to be only games that support crossbuy.  Hotline Miami, for example.

But...when I access the PS3 store from the PS3 console, several hundred Vita games are listed for purchase.  Most of these games are not crossbuy/crossplay and a lot of them require the Vita touch controls so probably couldn't be played on PS3 anyway.  Examples are Rose in the Twilight and Nihilumbra, which were released for PS Vita but not PS3 or PS4.

I'm confused about why these games are listed.  If I purchase them from the PS3 store, can I actually play them on PS3?  I'm assuming not, but I don't know why they are showing up.  Is there any reason to purchase them through the PS3 store?

I don't own a Vita right now.  I used to, but I don't really get into handheld gaming, so when my Vita broke, I never replaced it.  I do own PS TV, which plays the majority of the Vita catalog and gets far more use in my house than the Vita.  Haven't hooked it up since I started checking out digital gaming, but I will eventually.

Wish I had gotten into digital gaming sooner.  Probably won't replace physical copies for me in most instances, but there are a lot of good digital titles out there I've never played.

Fun fact: I've never tried to use my Switch undocked, even just to make sure it works properly undocked.

Thanks.

If PSVita games are in PS3 store on the console, that means you can transfer the games to a PSVita with a cable connected to it. You won't be able to play them on PS3, just transfer them to your PSVita.

There's quite a few PS1 Classics playable on Vita and PSP on Vita games that only show up in the PS3 store (Valkyria Chronicles II for example).

That reminds me -- I still have to Platinum ModNation Racers: Road Trip, Danganronpa, Severed, Wipeout 2048, and LittleBigPlanet Vita.

Edited by Andrew POE!
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

If PSVita games are in PS3 store on the console, that means you can transfer the games to a PSVita with a cable connected to it. You won't be able to play them on PS3, just transfer them to your PSVita.

There's quite a few PS1 Classics playable on Vita and PSP on Vita games that only show up in the PS3 store (Valkyria Chronicles II for example).

That reminds me -- I still have to Platinum ModNation Racers: Road Trip, Danganronpa, Severed, Wipeout 2048, and LittleBigPlanet Vita.

Thanks.  Figured it was something like that.  I didn't really expect to be able to play Vita games on my PS3 but I was hoping.  Guess I'll have to get a memory card for PS TV.  

One more question: Is there any advantage/drawback to leaving the PS4 connected to the internet when I'm not using the console for internet.  Right now, I have the option to stay connected all the time checked, but I don't use the PS4 on when I'm not using it and I don't have any of the auto update options enabled.  Basically I only use the internet to browse the PSN Store and to download games/updates/patches.  We don't use the mutlimedia functions on the game consoles or the web browser.  Also don't play online much.  I do know there are a few games that require a constant internet connection even to use "offline" modes, but that's a small handful.

I've been playing more in the evening lately.  My wife is wondering if it's slowing down the rest of the devices connected to the wireless network.  Our wi-fi usage in the evening is considerable.  I don't really have any advantage to just turning on the "connect to internet" setting when I'm ready to use PSN or check for an update.  Just curious if that's necessary/advisable.

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 6:01 PM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Also Kunai too. Really you need to upgrade yourself. A lot of the upgrades are no brainers, that might make you OP.

Kunai are good for chain stunning groups or getting rapid kills on enemies with low health.  The thing is that you have to use them sparingly until you upgrade your carrying capacity. A kunai thrown from a position of stealth may even one shot an enemy caught unaware.

If you make it a habit of exploring, you'll always find kunai in abandoned temples and military caches, but you can only hold so many so you need to watch your ammo count during long missons.  Especially if it's early in the game.

Kunai are especially useful if you have a huge Ghost rep.  If you are attacked by a group of Mongols and manage to kill one quickly, the rest of the soldiers may panic (Oh, shit! It's the GHOST~!) and some soldiers may retreat and abandon their battle buddies to their doom.  Fights become ridiculously trivialized when you have the right weapons and use fear to your advantage.

Anyone having trouble with combating groups of enemies should invest in improving their kunai carrying capacity and start getting good with the blowgun.  Poisoned darts are completely unfair.

Edited by J.T.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...