DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

4 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

I read the sypnosis of them and....they aren't that good. In fact, they are confusing.

Not sure what I want my 180th (!) Platinum to be. Leaning towards GoldenEye 007 Reloaded although I really really really need to do the online trophies for GTA V.

I'm going to go into them blind when I get the boxset next month, but from what I understand - Max basically breaks reality/time because of her powers.

17 hours ago, Craig H said:

Another gripe is that the dungeons and exploration are the same maps, but with different enemies thrown in. Maybe that's just a limitation on the Switch? With D1 and D2 the dungeons would basically be randomized so you wouldn't have the same experience twice. With this, every level I go down in a dungeon is basically the same thing over and over again.

Huh, that's odd, because while the overland part is mostly the same (especially early on) the dungeons are supposed to be randomly generated. They'd had t to tweak that several times over the years because you'd get insanely linear, 20 minutes long corridor dungeons and then several in a row where the exit is one room over from the entrance.

Finished Act One of Ghost of Tsushima. It does that thing that I hate when games do. That final mission is a longer one (at least in terms of this game). When you beat it, it dumps you directly into another mission with no down time. After that, it dumps you into *another* mission. Give me a breather, game!

Loving the game otherwise. This might be a game I platinum. 

• Like 2

Wish the new Max and Shiva were unlockable in SoR4.

Any word if there will be updates to the game? I beat it on hard today, but I don’t think I have the temperament to get through Chinatown on a higher difficulty.

• Like 1

Finishing Act I of Ghost was great and I'm dipping my toes into act II.  I had to go back and take care of some enemy outposts in I and now forging my way through II.  One thing I love when going to a waypoint is how I find an overtaken farm field that didn't show on the map yet.  So I just pretty much Leeroy Jenkins my way through and as long as the hostages aren't killed then I just wipe then out and go about my business.  It's oddly satisfying in its own way.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Through Act I of Ghost of Tsushima.

Very much looking forward to fucking up Ryuzo's shit at some point in the future.

I posted the 100% Ghost walkthrough for the Ryuzo showdown somewhere around here.  It is ridiculously satisfying

On 8/7/2020 at 10:41 PM, Raziel said:

I really liked Fall Guys the one time I got to play it.

Devolver massively underestimated how popular this game was gonna be.

Fall Guys might be my new "game I have watched the most streams of but most likely will never play"

My son and I had a good laugh this weekend at the various streams we normally watch going all WE ARE GOING TO PLAY FALL GUYS!!! and then getting into a grand total of like 2 matches over the entire 2 hours

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Fall Guys might be my new "game I have watched the most streams of but most likely will never play"

My son and I had a good laugh this weekend at the various streams we normally watch going all WE ARE GOING TO PLAY FALL GUYS!!! and then getting into a grand total of like 2 matches over the entire 2 hours

It would have been a fun thing to do back in the days of the DVDVR multi-player crew. 

• Like 1

I still have a ways to go to catch up with @Andrew POE! but I got my first ever Platinum yesterday! To be fair, the Ghost of Tsushima platinum is easy if you are someone that already visits everywhere, which I always do in open world games. But normally these games have something extra grindy that makes me handwave it since I don't care too much about trophies. In this case, after I beat the game I had three left I had to look up, but it took me about 15 minutes to get them since the fast travel is so friendly. And since I'd never gotten one, I figured I was overdue.

Great game though, highly recommended.

I tried some Fall Guys last night since it is free on PS, no server issues so they may have tweaked it (or playing late on a Monday night helped). I have no idea if it has long-term viability, these things are hard to predict and will likely require them making new stages somewhat regularly. I played about ten games, never won but twice made it to the last race so for a newbie I felt I did ok. I laughed quite a bit, its a funny game but I don't know if it something I'll play much or would have paid for.

• Like 3

Without shame, I switched the difficulty on LoU2 to the easiest setting because I really just wanna get through the story. The fact that you can Platinum it on any difficulty had NOTHING to do with this decision, I swear!

Either way, it's far more enjoyable now, I can more appreciate the surroundings and art, this generation of consoles is truly ending on a remarkable note. Tsushima is next, can't wait!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

Witcher 3 DLC giving me some serious "I suck, delete me" vibes right now. 

Hearts of Stone has great music, but man the latter half is an unfun grind. I got about an hour or so into Blood and Wine and got utterly bored and never finished it. 

• Like 1

It's mainly that it put me in a fight with a very hard to kill boss, showed me some cutscenes and then put me straight into another fight, with no armour, half health and an opponent who deals massive damage while refusing to take any.

For those of you, that like me, more or less started act 2 of Tsushima-

Beeline for the Sakai clan armor it rules (once you upgrade it enough to look cool) and gives you extra standoff kills.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 2

It's exactly on par in health and damage taken when compared to the Samurai Clan armor (except the Samurai Clan armor grants 30% resolves when you TAKE damage), except that the Sakai Clan armor has the standoff perks like you said. Which I guess you'd need for the "kill the maximum amount of enemies during a standoff" trophy?

Edited by Casey

I was too lazy to switch back and forth all game between armors. I had one set for stealth, one for combat, didn't use the others much at all. I am not usually a load out type of person but it would have come in handy for switching out charms depending on the situation but in the end it wasn't necessary, I was pretty invincible anyway so I just kept the same charms in the second half of the game (or their upgraded versions).

I stuck with Sakai for combat because I liked its look better and at a certain point the perks are nice but not really a deal breaker. Plus I thought my character would prefer to wear it.

I stick with the Samurai Clan armor for combat, but when I'm riding around I put on the Traveler's Attire because it alerts you to things like Mongol artifacts and other stuff, and when it's fully upgraded it clears a good percentage of the fog of war from the map.

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Witcher 3 DLC giving me some serious "I suck, delete me" vibes right now. 

What?! The fairytale stuff in one of the dlcs is absolutely the coolest thing I've played in a video game. 

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

What?! The fairytale stuff in one of the dlcs is absolutely the coolest thing I've played in a video game. 

Haven't got that far. In fact I think that's the DLC I've not started.