DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Netflix has ordered an anime series based on Capcom's Dragon's Dogma aka the game I have devoted the last month or so into playing.

It should be released around September.

I feel I am being trolled by both Capcom and Netflix.

ICYMI, netix also doing a Usagi Yojimbo toon.

• Like 1

I'm more excited for Usagi despite knowing nothing about it outside of his appearances in TMNT series.

I have never played Dragon's Dogma outside of maybe a demo years ago. It looks fun, but the lack of any story is a turn off.

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

I'm more excited for Usagi despite knowing nothing about it outside of his appearances in TMNT series.

I have never played Dragon's Dogma outside of maybe a demo years ago. It looks fun, but the lack of any story is a turn off.

Dragon's Dogma has the bare bones of a story, but there is a lot of fetchit quests that will take you all over the game world maybe before you are really ready to venture out.

Thankfully, the job board quests are pretty generous with money and experience so it's not hard to level up and remain well financed and properly equipped.  You just have to be careful not to progress any main story quests until you're sure you've exhausted all of your side mission opportunities.

12 hours ago, Neil Koch said:

I got JC3 with all the DLC for like $5 on sale on PSN.  I couldn't see myself actually finishing it without the DLC goodies, especially the jetpack.  I didn't bother with most of the challenges, they just seemed too frustrating to me.

They are VERY frustrating. Some of the worst mechanics I've ever seen in a game -- apparently if the car goes too fast, the slightest hit will send the vehicle flying across the road. Helicopters handle for shit and one of the challenges currently is impossible for me. Sea races are a joke - the fucking water will knock you off course, even when the sea is calm. Thankfully, I'm done with sea races.

Just have 13 gears left which requires five full gears for a race or activity. Just have one impossible helicopter race, 8 explosive gears (drive a vehicle to spot to blow up) and 2 land vehicle gears left and I'll have the Platinum.

Whoa, I am playing Tsushima on hard and it is IMMENSE. They managed to get Akio Otsuka (Solid Snake, Souther, Batou) as the protag's uncle and he is just wonderful during the tutorial section. There is a real sense of weight and timing with the controls. This is what I wanted Witcher to feel like. You can play defensive holding block or timing for parries or go on the attack and catch your enemies just as they're about to land a blow on you. I had goosebumps (ermahgerd) from the intro. This is what I've wanted in a video game for so long. ☺️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

Whoa, I am playing Tsushima on hard and it is IMMENSE. They managed to get Akio Otsuka (Solid Snake, Souther, Batou) as the protag's uncle and he is just wonderful during the tutorial section. There is a real sense of weight and timing with the controls. This is what I wanted Witcher to feel like. You can play defensive holding block or timing for parries or go on the attack and catch your enemies just as they're about to land a blow on you. I had goosebumps (ermahgerd) from the intro. This is what I've wanted in a video game for so long. ☺️

I’m totally gonna play this with Liquid Swords on in the background ?

• Like 5

The game has the potential to really lean into some shitty Japanocentric bad traits about other Asian cultures but tbh Khotun Khan is presented as just about the most decent and reasonable leader of an invading army you'd be able to find in the 13th century.

edit: one more thought... Even if this game doesn't make any breakthrough in terms of gameplay, it's aesthetic beauty is legitimately groundbreaking. I've never seen a more beautiful game. Red Dead 2 is close but that went more for realism. This goes for more poetic beauty. The trees, lighting, foliage in general is just stunning.

Edited by Jiji

I really enjoy how side missions come up after talking to villagers too.

Clearing out encampments is pretty awesome, including mini boss battles. My inclination is always stealth in these kind of games but, man, is going balls out with the standoff -> 1 v 5 open combat afterwards satisfying. 

• Like 1

Oh yeah, I don't believe in stealth in this game.

Walking into a camp, calling out their best soldier, striking him down, and then murking guys one by one until you stab the leader of the camp in the neck is the best. 

EDIT: Oh yeah, that new Paper Mario is alright too.

Edited by Smelly McUgly

My copy of Ghost of Tsushima comes the week of July 27th.

I got my 174th Platinum trophy with Just Cause  3. Whatever you do, don't play this game. Everything about this game is broken....the camera system, mechanics, vehicles, the fucking water, helicopters, everything.

• Like 1

I liked it. I mean, I certainly wouldn't go for the platinum for it or anything. The challenges are too frustrating... and they have that thing where the really hard ones, you can't get full marks just by being good, you have to be really good AND really lucky one time. But as a 'Play the story mode and blow shit up' game it was a lot of fun, for me.

So on top of people giving you side quests (which are generally more about saving people than fetch quests) through dialogue, the game at least tries to make a lot of the collection stuff feel less game-y and more part of the actual world. Games are way too fucking long and packed with filler bullshit for platinum trophies and all that. But, with this one, they can flesh out your character, such as reminiscing in an onsen, or are create-a-haiku activities. I appreciate the effort and I'm far likelier to 100% this than your average Ubisoft game (speaking of, I picked up Far Cry 5 as it's dirt cheap). 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

I liked it. I mean, I certainly wouldn't go for the platinum for it or anything. The challenges are too frustrating... and they have that thing where the really hard ones, you can't get full marks just by being good, you have to be really good AND really lucky one time. But as a 'Play the story mode and blow shit up' game it was a lot of fun, for me.

I found myself not liking the story mode as much as I'd hope. Just Cause 2 was addictive with the story mode and there were a lot of territories to explore.

There were missions that took several attempts due to bad partner AI and you literally could walk around a pillar with the final boss. The one thing I liked about JC3 is that the collectibles actually lead to better weapons and not for the sake of it.

Right now, I'm working on The Last of Us Part II for a milestone 175th Platinum trophy. Going through New Game+ and getting more collectibles. Got about 7 trophies left before the Platinum.

I certainly am not judging anyone that feels differently, but I have never felt the slightest urge to try and platinum a game. I just don't get it.

Hell, I don't really understand trophies in general.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

So on top of people giving you side quests (which are generally more about saving people than fetch quests) through dialogue, the game at least tries to make a lot of the collection stuff feel less game-y and more part of the actual world. Games are way too fucking long and packed with filler bullshit for platinum trophies and all that. But, with this one, they can flesh out your character, such as reminiscing in an onsen, or are create-a-haiku activities. I appreciate the effort and I'm far likelier to 100% this than your average Ubisoft game (speaking of, I picked up Far Cry 5 as it's dirt cheap). 

For whatever reason, people seemed to be down on Far Cry 5, but I loved it. I hated trying to get that fishing trophy, though. Jesus.

I'm currently in the process of moving all my games over to my shiny new WD_BLACK 4tb harddrive, so that'll be awhile, but I can't fucking wait to pop in Ghost of Tsushima sometime tonight and get started.

• Like 2

My SoulsBorne-loving teenage really likes GOT so that's awesome. Once he's done that, and I'm done LoU2, we'll FINALLY make each other's systems the other's primaries so we can do full game share. 

Attempting a Witcher 3 play though again and I'm digging it more this time compared to my last play a few years ago.

I got a hand on the combat but I over leveled (I'm at level 18 and I'm working on the find Sigi's treasure/kill Whoreson Jr. stuff which is level 12) so the XP loss is pretty nasty.

My new favourite thing to do in Witcher 3 is ride up on a group of enemies, use Axii Puppet on one to make him kill all of his friends, then ride away and leave him to sober up and realise what he's done.

I've got all Superior Cat School weapons and gloves/ boots/ trousers, but I need some Dimeritium plates to upgrade the armour and I can't find any. Saw a video where someone said "Go to this location and wait until 9pm and this merchant sells them", and he never appeared. And the person who's supposed to sell the map to the level 4 gear sold me a map to something completely different.

Also, I don't get why everyone loves that card game. Or even understand the card game at all. Gwent is a county in Wales.

Edited by AxB

This Tsushima combat is the shit. I like playing defensively, which you have to do in this game, and parrying and dodging just feel right. 

I love this game so much. 

EDIT: I just fucked up a whole shipyard by myself on hard difficulty without dying...and with some style, too. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1