DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

1 hour ago, Doc Townsend said:

Thanks.  Figured it was something like that.  I didn't really expect to be able to play Vita games on my PS3 but I was hoping.  Guess I'll have to get a memory card for PS TV.  

One more question: Is there any advantage/drawback to leaving the PS4 connected to the internet when I'm not using the console for internet.  Right now, I have the option to stay connected all the time checked, but I don't use the PS4 on when I'm not using it and I don't have any of the auto update options enabled.  Basically I only use the internet to browse the PSN Store and to download games/updates/patches.  We don't use the mutlimedia functions on the game consoles or the web browser.  Also don't play online much.  I do know there are a few games that require a constant internet connection even to use "offline" modes, but that's a small handful.

I've been playing more in the evening lately.  My wife is wondering if it's slowing down the rest of the devices connected to the wireless network.  Our wi-fi usage in the evening is considerable.  I don't really have any advantage to just turning on the "connect to internet" setting when I'm ready to use PSN or check for an update.  Just curious if that's necessary/advisable.

Thanks.

The main advantage to leaving the PS4 connected is auto-updates and being able to trigger downloads of new purchases remotely.  That is, you can buy a game through the PSN store from, say, your work PC and tell it to "download to my PS4" and it'll start downloading.

Your PS4 isn't the reason you're having issues in the evening if you're playing offline.

• Like 1

Fall Guys is exactly what I wanted it to be. Day 1 had a ton of server issues but honestly, I expect that with literally every multiplayer focused launch title now. Fuck, Apex Legends is into season 5 and Origin's awful infastructure still can't get season launches to go smoothly.  I am not sure about the PS4 numbers where it's part of the PS+ program, but I can say the game has already clocked over 10K reviews on steam which means it's already sold hundreds of thousands of copies at the very least, at $20. 500K is probably a light guess, since one out of 50 owners bothering to review a game on launch day feels pretty optimistic. I feel that's a pretty good price point for this and what it aspires to be really. It's such a big dumb fun clusterfuck of a BR game that actually doesn't feel like there's much in it to rage about. If they keep adding new costumes and minigames as they go, it could be a great long-term investment. The only game of the 25 it has at launch I don't really like is the team game where you put the eggs in baskets, because it seems super difficult to actually come from behind in that one. Best games are Slime Climb and the Rocket League knockoff.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 11:27 PM, D.Z said:

pit4.gif?resize=480,360&ssl=1

Pit Fighter is unironically one of my favorite games of all time.  The pseudo-sequel Guardians of the Hood is garbage though.  I wish the Genesis exclusive sequel would have come out.  There was an EGM article about it and it looked pretty close to completion.

Edited by Neil Koch
  • Like 1

I know I need to get GOT but I also want Resident Evil 3,  I haven't finished Last of Us Part II yet and I have been wanting to play A/O Tennis 2 and it is now available on PS Now.  So much to play so little time.  I am getting wisdom teeth removed today though so that should add some time for me. 

I'm wanting to play Last of Us 2 despite never finishing the first (but I know what happens, so whatever). But I'm waiting on a decent price on eBay for the Ellie edition, because I'm a psycho and I want the backpack and vinyl record and pins.

But I also know that I'm going to be playing Avengers until Cyberpunk comes out, and when that happens, I'll be splitting my time between the two games and everything else will fall to the side (even if Tsushima is a pretty engaging play - but it does get a little old after a while).

• Like 1

My daughter and I have been playing Minecraft Dungeons on the Switch. It's actually pretty fun for what is basically Diablo, but in Minecraft. So much fun that it got me wondering how good Diablo 3 is.

I bought Diablo 3 at launch for the PC, but never played it because my ex-wife is a piece of shit who would guilt trip me whenever I would play games. I literally never played it. I wound up installing it and never got around to it. Over time I just wound up playing other games. So I re-installed it on my new PC figuring I might as well see if it's good because I might buy it on the Switch to play co-op with my daughter.

Diablo 3 is pretty fucking sweet. I really wish I just played it all those years ago. It's such a good looking game and the gameplay feels very pure. I played a ton of Diablo and Diablo 2. Getting into Diablo 3 was like riding a bike. Everything felt very good. I think I'll definitely get it on the Switch because I could see the two of us having a really good time with it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Fall Guys is exactly what I wanted it to be. Day 1 had a ton of server issues but honestly, I expect that with literally every multiplayer focused launch title now. Fuck, Apex Legends is into season 5 and Origin's awful infastructure still can't get season launches to go smoothly.  I am not sure about the PS4 numbers where it's part of the PS+ program, but I can say the game has already clocked over 10K reviews on steam which means it's already sold hundreds of thousands of copies at the very least, at $20. 500K is probably a light guess, since one out of 50 owners bothering to review a game on launch day feels pretty optimistic. I feel that's a pretty good price point for this and what it aspires to be really. It's such a big dumb fun clusterfuck of a BR game that actually doesn't feel like there's much in it to rage about. If they keep adding new costumes and minigames as they go, it could be a great long-term investment. The only game of the 25 it has at launch I don't really like is the team game where you put the eggs in baskets, because it seems super difficult to actually come from behind in that one. Best games are Slime Climb and the Rocket League knockoff.

I love this game, perfect for anyone who's into the idea of a battle royale, but doesn't want to test their twitch shooting skills against other people. Managed to win my first game before work this morning, felt like an hero and did an actual jig.

Here's an odd question: can anyone recommend a few indie games that allow you to play as animal?  Particularly dog, fox, wolf, deer, etc?

I'm currently playing Spirit of the North and am looking for games like that: action-adventures or walking sims starring an animal.  I know there's a lengthy list of platformers starring anthropormorphic animals, plus various fighting games, Starfox, etc.  Can anyone think of PC/PS3/PS4/Xbox 360/Switch adventures in that vein.

I've already played Tokyo Jungle, Never Alone and the First Tree.  Playing Spirit of the North now.  Downloaded Lost Ember and Ghost of a Tail a few days ago and will play them soonish.  Any other recommendations?  Thanks.

Edited by Doc Townsend
Fixed typo

51 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Not an Indy game, but there’s always Okami. 

Lol, I have 8-10 editions of Okami around (PS2 NA, PS2 Korean edition that supported English, Wii NA, PS3 Asia release, 2 different PS3 Japan e-Capcom limited editions, PS4 Japan limited edition, Switch JP limited edition + PS3 NA digital copy).  One my personal favorites.  I'm a big Kamiya fan.

45 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Never Alone has you playing half the time as an Arctic fox.

Shelter 1 & 2 have you playing as a mother badger & lynx respectively

I think Never Alone is kinda underrated.  Reviews were really polarizing.  Some reviewers really loved it.  A lot didn't get into it at all.  I loved it.

I'll check out Shelter,

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

I bought Diablo 3 at launch for the PC, but never played it because my ex-wife is a piece of shit who would guilt trip me whenever I would play games. I literally never played it. I wound up installing it and never got around to it. Over time I just wound up playing other games. So I re-installed it on my new PC figuring I might as well see if it's good because I might buy it on the Switch to play co-op with my daughter.

Diablo 3 is pretty fucking sweet. I really wish I just played it all those years ago. It's such a good looking game and the gameplay feels very pure. I played a ton of Diablo and Diablo 2. Getting into Diablo 3 was like riding a bike. Everything felt very good. I think I'll definitely get it on the Switch because I could see the two of us having a really good time with it.

You are reminding me that I never did beat Diablo 3. Maybe I will buy it for PS4 when its cheap and finally beat it.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

You are reminding me that I never did beat Diablo 3. Maybe I will buy it for PS4 when its cheap and finally beat it.

It's $30 at Target right now, or at least it was when I checked their website last night. It's still $60 on PSN.

I wound up taking the plunge and buying the $60 Switch version. The only reason I did so was because we can play same screen co-op and it includes all of the expansions, which I would have to buy on the PC. I figured I'll save the money on getting the PC expansions and just get the whole thing on the Switch.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Craig H said:

D3 hits that sweet spot of "not too hard but challenging enough to not be boring" pretty consistently. The story is surprisingly good for a hack and slash, and the callbacks to the previous games had me eyeballing my original D1 disk for a while. I just wish Blizzard wasn't such a shit company, I uninstalled Battle.Net a year or so ago and haven't played any of their stuff since.

1 hour ago, JLSigman said:

D3 hits that sweet spot of "not too hard but challenging enough to not be boring" pretty consistently. The story is surprisingly good for a hack and slash, and the callbacks to the previous games had me eyeballing my original D1 disk for a while. I just wish Blizzard wasn't such a shit company, I uninstalled Battle.Net a year or so ago and haven't played any of their stuff since.

i don't share the same opinion.  D3, for me, looks pretty but feels very hollow. the game is WAY too linear. my favorite part of D2 was the exploration and that is pretty much nonexistant in D3.

and i don't find D3 even slightly challenging. you could take your base character, never upgrade your stats, and walk through the game on "hard" with no trouble whatsoever. yeah, you can up the difficulty to "torment" or whatever, but that just makes it hard for the sake of being hard, and thus negates the whole thing.

all that being said, i do enjoy the game. i own it on PC and Switch and have beaten it with (i think) 5 of the classes and 4 of those are level 70.

12 hours ago, Death From Above said:

This rules

I'd have given more bonus points if they had dubbed Ezekiel III's rage into the clip after the part where Boromir dies.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

My patience in Ghost of Tsushima is improving. I'm also quite happy that I've invested in the technique where, if I initiate a standoff, I can one-shot two more guys before the actual fighting starts if I'm successful.

Making progress through Act 1. Have gotten the "recruit" tasks crossed off of my list except for the Straw Hat Ronin.

• Like 1

Man, Diablo 3 on Switch is really fucking good. Surprisingly good for how well it plays on a console. I have a few gripes though. It's really fucking easy. I think I've been near death maybe once. I'm on the normal difficulty and I basically feel like a god. Another gripe is that the dungeons and exploration are the same maps, but with different enemies thrown in. Maybe that's just a limitation on the Switch? With D1 and D2 the dungeons would basically be randomized so you wouldn't have the same experience twice. With this, every level I go down in a dungeon is basically the same thing over and over again.

It looks and plays great, but I totally see the criticism that it's hollow. At least on the Switch anyway. I'll probably put more time in on the computer since it sounds like my friends may want to play through it again.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Craig H said:

It's $30 at Target right now, or at least it was when I checked their website last night. It's still $60 on PSN.

I wound up taking the plunge and buying the $60 Switch version. The only reason I did so was because we can play same screen co-op and it includes all of the expansions, which I would have to buy on the PC. I figured I'll save the money on getting the PC expansions and just get the whole thing on the Switch.

Did it go up in price?  I paid $20 for Diablo 3 on the PS4 like...2 or 3 years ago?

Got my 179th Platinum trophy with Life Is Strange on PS3. The game still is gut wrenching, even now. Especially the ending and the nightmare sequence.

Part of me wishes there was a direct sequel to Life Is Strange -- Dontnod have separate characters for each season.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Part of me wishes there was a direct sequel to Life Is Strange -- Dontnod have separate characters for each season.

The comics are as close as we'll get, sadly.

10 minutes ago, Casey said:

The comics are as close as we'll get, sadly.

I read the sypnosis of them and....they aren't that good. In fact, they are confusing.

Not sure what I want my 180th (!) Platinum to be. Leaning towards GoldenEye 007 Reloaded although I really really really need to do the online trophies for GTA V.