Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Smelly McUgly

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, turk128 said:

Black Desert is free now: you simply need download it and hit "play" before March 2nd and it's free to keep.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/582660/Black_Desert_Online/

Well that may make it worth the download time. Even if it's just to play dress up with the character creator.

Edited by JLSigman
i can't spell this morning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

E3 is still on at the moment, but who knows if that will change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CONTROL was added to PSNow yesterday, thru Aug 31.  I know I'm the only champion that service has around here, but I use it enough to get my money's worth at the annual price every year, especially since the price reduction in 2019.  I am mildly curious to know whether the 720p cloud-streamed version runs better than the game's notoriously poor vanilla-PS4 performance, but not curious enough to delete the paid-for version I have sitting on my PS4Pro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

CONTROL was added to PSNow yesterday, thru Aug 31.  I know I'm the only champion that service has around here, but I use it enough to get my money's worth at the annual price every year, especially since the price reduction in 2019.  I am mildly curious to know whether the 720p cloud-streamed version runs better than the game's notoriously poor vanilla-PS4 performance, but not curious enough to delete the paid-for version I have sitting on my PS4Pro.

I think you can download PS4 games locally to your machine through PS Now, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chaos said:

I think you can download PS4 games locally to your machine through PS Now, right?

You can.  I'm just idly wondering if, given the game's poor performance on Vanilla PS4, the streamed option might be better than downloading it for people without a Pro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Chaos said:

I think you can download PS4 games locally to your machine through PS Now, right?

Some you can, but not all. From what I remember, a good chunk of the PSNow library was stream only. Or at least stuff I wanted to play, anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally played through Limbo.  Not really to my liking, but got me excited for Inside.  I like puzzle platformers and there was a lot I loved about LImbo (art direction, aesthetic, ambiguous nature of story, etc.) but the puzzles are too esoteric.  I never found the puzzles difficult but I'm not a fan of "Groundhog Day" puzzles where the  solution is something you'd never try until after you die multiple times and try a number of the more likely solutions.  By midgame, I fell into a loop where most every bit of progress was followed by a section where I had to die several times until I figured out the right sequence,  Became a grind.

That said, it's still worth a play and I'm thinking I'll like Inside much more.  

Will probably play Shadow Complex Remastered next.  I played the original back when it was released but never finished it.  Just got SC Remastered in the mail a few days ago.  

End of the month will probably be dominated by Nioh 2 and Doom Eternal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having a ball with Division 2, but it's gonna take a back seat in 24 days, since I got RE3make sitting in my queue for launch day and FF7Remake is right behind it.  That'll keep me occupied for several months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inside is fucking great and very weird/unsettling. I'd definitely replay that all the way through before doing Limbo again (which was fine, too).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Limbo was okay until the end phase where it suddenly tried to be Super Meat Boy for no reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm watching someone that has early access to stream the early parts of Ori 2, and my God. It's everything we hoped for. It looks and sounds absolutely astonishing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I hoped for a spiritual sequel to bad dudes.  Since you used we I know you have my best intentions in mind and it is exactly what the game is

 

I'm actually posting to tell everyone they should be playing Bloodroots.

Edited by Tromatagon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

picked up Steins;Gate Elite for $20 on eBay. Yes, I realize it’s basically a visual novel, and no, I don’t care. John Titor motherfuckers 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL, my neighbor thought now would be a good time to play Last of Us for the first time because "video games don't scare me.  Apparently, the opening sequence unnerved them so much they quit after an hour.  Too close to the current crisis, I guess.

I am wondering if coronavirus will affect sales of TLoU II.  I'm planning to pick it up day one, but it may set on the pile until things are sane again (to be honest, that could happen anyway.  My pile of shame is huge).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

LOL, my neighbor thought now would be a good time to play Last of Us for the first time because "video games don't scare me.  Apparently, the opening sequence unnerved them so much they quit after an hour.  Too close to the current crisis, I guess.

I am wondering if coronavirus will affect sales of TLoU II.  I'm planning to pick it up day one, but it may set on the pile until things are sane again (to be honest, that could happen anyway.  My pile of shame is huge).

It's possible, but I have a feeling that most people playing the game will be willing to overlook it. FOX News and other idiots will make a big deal out of it. It'll go on my room of shame while I work on Battleborn Platinum/100% (and maybe Umbrella Corps Platinum).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

LOL, my neighbor thought now would be a good time to play Last of Us for the first time because "video games don't scare me.  Apparently, the opening sequence unnerved them so much they quit after an hour.  Too close to the current crisis, I guess.

I am wondering if coronavirus will affect sales of TLoU II.  I'm planning to pick it up day one, but it may set on the pile until things are sane again (to be honest, that could happen anyway.  My pile of shame is huge).

I mean, I'd laugh that off but... I tried to play Frostpunk in the dead of winter, living in the middle of nowhere, in rural Canada. And I had to stop because even though it's a finely made game, it's a game about surviving in the dead of endless winter, in the middle of nowhere, and it's dark as hell. It just wasn't the right timing for the subject matter for me, at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oddly enough, The Last of Us essentially starts at a friend’s house.  Didn’t seem to bug her. She’s pretty hard to unsettle, though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like they saved the best for last:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NFL and 2K Sports have entered an agreement to allow 2K to produce "non-simulation" NFL games.

They won't be able to produce a direct competitor for Madden, but I guess they'll be doing other stuff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gonzo said:

The NFL and 2K Sports have entered an agreement to allow 2K to produce "non-simulation" NFL games.

They won't be able to produce a direct competitor for Madden, but I guess they'll be doing other stuff.

Maybe we can get a sequel (spiritual or otherwise) to NFL Blitz.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tabe said:

Maybe we can get a sequel (spiritual or otherwise) to NFL Blitz.

Anf for $49.99, you can get enough VC to unlock 2 more players on the Bills roster...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully this is a foot in the door to them eventually making good NFL games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly I haven't been as depressed in years as being a 38 year old man trying to hang on by one claw to whatever is left of my reaction time in Apex Legends. I am a totally useless slug and it feels bad.

FPS games are cancelled.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Honestly I haven't been as depressed in years as being a 38 year old man trying to hang on by one claw to whatever is left of my reaction time in Apex Legends. I am a totally useless slug and it feels bad.

FPS games are cancelled.

That's me at the Rubik's Cube competitions I attend.  "Whee, I'm not last!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...