DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

12 hours ago, Casey said:

I have both perks that are pretty essential for the fight, but goddamnit I suck at flying stuff. I read that there's an alternative method - just crashing straight into his plane. Which I haven't tried yet, but I hope it works because as it is right now I don't have enough money to re-fuel when I'm in the air so I'm kind of fucked.

Nick Rye is your best friend for the John fight (and for the 1st stage of the Bunker rescue).  If you did the airstrip mission and unlocked him, activate him (he'll tell you over the radio he's good to fly, which is your hint)  Don't worry about reloading your rockets, as they're really just pure luck and you and Nick getting John's plane to half health is more important.  

The nice thing is that the game auto-saves the instant John's plane hits 0 HP, even if you/your plane dies at the same time.  So just hit that point and the rest is easyish until you make the run on the bunker.

Edited by Raziel

On 3/18/2020 at 5:59 PM, Death From Above said:

Nioh 2 seems like "all the stuff that sucked in Nioh 1, but more, so the cracks show more easily". I hope you like seeing the same 5 enemies but their damage just scales up.

Nice to see they're still designing bosses that have a visual tell that could just lead to 3 totally different things. I'm sure someone thinks this is good but it sure isn't me.

I think it's a great game.

That said, given the times, the only things I"m really enjoying right now are cutesy Nintendo ip's.  Animal Crossing and various Mario, DK, Yoshi, etc. ip's are what does it for me right now.  I do intend to revist Metroid Prime and the WII U remasters of Zelda soon, though.

I have been watching some streams of Half-Life: Alyx. I'll say this for it. There have been AAA games that had a VR option before like RE 7 and Skyrim, but Alyx feels like the first genuine AAA game actually developed for VR. It's really fucking good. The way it plays with things you can only do in VR and two hand controllers reminds me of when Mario 64 built some secrets around making people fiddle with a 3D camera for the first time. Also the big tense sequence in mid-game that I won't spoil is... honestly unlike anything I've ever seen done in a video game. It rules.

We still need, like, 10 more of those to actually justify the cost and hassle of making a VR setup a reasonable purchase for most people, but it's a hell of a start.

• Like 1

Booted up Far Cry 5, and it had me in a plane, on the ground, not even close to where you get into the plane originally during this mission. And of course, it was stuck between an elevated boulder and the ground, so I couldn't take off. So the next 30ish minutes consisted of me running around the map trying to find a plane. Along the way, I thought if I died, maybe the game would start me back in the air during the dogfight. Nope, that didn't happen. Somehow, the game continued to glitch out and John's plane was destroyed twice - the first time, it wasn't destroyed, he was still in the air, but it played his message to his followers. The second time was after I died, again, and this time he was on the ground like he's supposed to be - but it only happened after I traveled to an airplane buy point and got into a massive firefight with like 15 cult members that spawned there as soon as I fast traveled.

Now I'm in his bunker, in the silo, and this shit is frustrating as fuck.

But yeah, a lot of glitches in the past 30 minutes, and it's not the first time. Nothing completely game-breaking or anything, but just mildly inconvenient. Like the Revelator mission, where the truck just unhinged from the trailer and then went invisible, glitching through the road until it slowly caught up to where I was, and was easily destroyed in one shot. Which kind of sucked, because I had stocked up on sticky grenades and remote explosives, and was preparing for a fun little mission.

Trying to Platinum God of War Ascension and parts of the game are pretty atricous. Boss battles are more frustrating to play and the combat at times isn't good. What's interesting is some of the visuals look like what was in God of War (2018) and Kratos actually can use a shield as a weapon. Between this and the Pandora sections in God of War III, the seeds were planted for what we saw in the most recent God of War.

I have talked at length about my backlog for the PlayStation but here I am, trying to keep calm and relaxed during the pandemic with my 7yo Minecraft world started on PS3.

I mean, I had to go find some bees, you know? Got to get that honey. 

16 hours ago, Casey said:

Booted up Far Cry 5, and it had me in a plane, on the ground, not even close to where you get into the plane originally during this mission. And of course, it was stuck between an elevated boulder and the ground, so I couldn't take off. So the next 30ish minutes consisted of me running around the map trying to find a plane. Along the way, I thought if I died, maybe the game would start me back in the air during the dogfight. Nope, that didn't happen. Somehow, the game continued to glitch out and John's plane was destroyed twice - the first time, it wasn't destroyed, he was still in the air, but it played his message to his followers. The second time was after I died, again, and this time he was on the ground like he's supposed to be - but it only happened after I traveled to an airplane buy point and got into a massive firefight with like 15 cult members that spawned there as soon as I fast traveled.

Now I'm in his bunker, in the silo, and this shit is frustrating as fuck.

But yeah, a lot of glitches in the past 30 minutes, and it's not the first time. Nothing completely game-breaking or anything, but just mildly inconvenient. Like the Revelator mission, where the truck just unhinged from the trailer and then went invisible, glitching through the road until it slowly caught up to where I was, and was easily destroyed in one shot. Which kind of sucked, because I had stocked up on sticky grenades and remote explosives, and was preparing for a fun little mission.

FC have always been glitchy, the last couple even more so because they were done pretty quickly.  I did really like 5 and its follow up, New Dawn.

I will echo what was said above and say to do a lot of side missions so you can get better weapons, increase stats, etc.  Also if you are registered for UPlay, you can get free weapons and vehicles.  It makes the story missions a lot easier.

I started playing original Life is Strange again because I finished playing the prequel. In the first game, Max is 18 and Chloe is 19. In Before the Storm, Max isn't in it and Chloe is 15. In the Before the Storm bonus level, they're both 13, but they're being nostalgic for when they were 8. And it's all building to Max telling Chloe that her family is moving to Seattle and they won't be seeing each other every day any more. In the main game, she's moved back a month ago and made no attempt to contact her best friend yet.

Playing it the second time, you have the added perspective that the character you're playing as is not as good of a friend as she should be.

On 3/22/2020 at 12:57 PM, twiztor said:

made it my mission to beat the original Metroid this weekend. had played it minimally until now. once i hit my stride, i freaking loved this game. hand made my own maps for maximum enjoyment. had to reference my old ass strategy guide for 2-3 things but otherwise this was a blind run. 

tons of fun. i want to play this all over again but may jump right into the gameboy sequel

and now Metroid II is completed!

much like the first, i didn't think much of it early but investing time made me really appreciate and enjoy it. unlike the first, this seemed to be very linear early on. IT IS NOT. i had to resort to an online map as i was fooled until it was too late.

the limitations of the gameboy made for quite a few "leaps of faith" in the vertical areas. odd use of music as well- some places it was practically nonexistent while others it was heavy and forboding.

14 minutes ago, twiztor said:

and now Metroid II is completed!

much like the first, i didn't think much of it early but investing time made me really appreciate and enjoy it. unlike the first, this seemed to be very linear early on. IT IS NOT. i had to resort to an online map as i was fooled until it was too late.

the limitations of the gameboy made for quite a few "leaps of faith" in the vertical areas. odd use of music as well- some places it was practically nonexistent while others it was heavy and forboding.

I owned Metroid 2 on the Gameboy and never beat it. It was always weird to me that they put Metroid 2 on the Gameboy instead of the NES.

• Like 1

Finally went back and finished SHADOW OF THE TOMB RAIDER.  Good game, but a step down from the first two reboot games made by Crystal Dynamics.  It kinda reminded me of ARKHAM ORIGINS: a good approximation of the original but juuuust off enough in certain ways (controls, level design) to put a damper on your enjoyment.

I appreciated their attempt to address Lara’s colonialism in the narrative, but the actual gameplay sort of undermined that.  Like, Lara doesn’t seem to actually be learning an important lesson when, for instance, you get to a peaceful, unspoiled hidden civilization and the game immediately entices you to start stealing all their relics and shit for XP.  Literally, wandering into people’s huts and digging up their treasures while they stand there.

Meanwhile, the Resident Evil Resistance Beta crashed and burned spectacularly on PS4 and Steam and has now been pulled.  It's working on XBone though.  That's going to be interesting, since the game launches in 6 days and all.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Meanwhile, the Resident Evil Resistance Beta crashed and burned spectacularly on PS4 and Steam and has now been pulled.  It's working on XBone though.  That's going to be interesting, since the game launches in 6 days and all.

Yikes, I hope they get the PS4 servers working when it comes out. There's a separate Platinum trophy for it.

Assuming we survive all this, I'm definitely buying more Switch games.  More light cartoony games like Animal Crossing and Mario, fewer grim-dark games like Resident Evil.

RE3 will be interesting.  I'll pick it up assuming I can get ahold of a physical copy, but I'm not sure it's something I want to play right now.  Not all confident that I won't be able to go outside next weekend and live the same experience.

We're getting closer and closer to getting a Switch here. That I can't find our Wii U version of Breathe of the Wild doesn't help the case not to get one. Taxes ended up being more than expected though. I want to remain cheap and deprive my family in the fine Jack Benny fashion.

Playing through a few more Switch games :

Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair

This game pretty much holds your hand the whole way through and is a casual DK style platformer. The point is to collect bees throughout the game to use as hit points in the final level - The Impossible Lair. And holy man does that final level ever lie up to its name. It has to be a good 15-20 minutes long with no checkpoints or opportunity to recover lost bees and throws some of the hardest platforming at you. Furthest I've made it through 11 attempts is 75%. Despite that, I don't think it feels cheap and am pretty committed to finishing this one.

Baba is You

This game just makes me feel stupid. Currently stuck on a puzzle and trying to avoid looking up the answer. Weird, ingenious in its simplicity and all kinds of fun. Also frustrating.

Chaos on Deponia

point and click I've put down for a couple days. Will jump in again but I'm pretty sure I'm about to finish the first main part ( getting Goal to come back to get surgery) and am expecting another big area to search. This one had one puzzle that pissed me off where you needed to go into the settings to alter the sound - I ended up having to search a walkthrough because I'd felt I'd done everything I could. I never would have considered to bring up the settings.

Edit : Beat Yooka Laylee - 0 bees left and 1 second on the counter. Total 13 attempts (although it feels like a lot more)

Edited by Setsuna

Okay, I'm starting to get mildly annoyed by this.

I've got at least three of you here on my Friends list on the Switch. I go to my airport, tell the bird behind the counter that I want to fly, tell them to search for a friend, and. . .they tell me that there aren't any islands that I can fly to.

Am I doing something incorrectly or missing something somewhere?