DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2019 WRESTLING PICTURES.

I know he wasn't around in the territory days, I know he's not the best professional wrestler, I know the NWA was at its lowest ebb when he was champion, but Dan Severn is legit one of the names I think of when people mention the NWA belt due to pics like this. The fact he was pictured with the belt when he won UFC Ultimate Ultimate really helped rise the title up from the grave too.

734fe74377c03b84921863ffea34812546a972cc

As an aside, this pairing should have been golden

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

I know he wasn't around in the territory days, I know he's not the best professional wrestler, I know the NWA was at its lowest ebb when he was champion, but Dan Severn is legit one of the names I think of when people mention the NWA belt due to pics like this. The fact he was pictured with the belt when he won UFC Ultimate Ultimate really helped rise the title up from the grave too.

734fe74377c03b84921863ffea34812546a972cc

As an aside, this pairing should have been golden

I’ve never seen a lick of his NWA run. Was he really as bad as they say he was? Like I’ve read from people who like old school graps, and can’t stand Severn. I know I didn’t like his WWF run I’ll say that. But shoot guys during that period were never going to get the benefit to work that match style in front of that audience in that time.

I've not seen a lot myself, footage has always been hard to come by. He wasn't terrible but there'd be odd delays between transitions or grabbing a hold and his matches always came across as oddly stilted like he was holding back and reigning in his instincts... which he probably was haha. He wasn't a natural but did the basics well.

When him and Shamrock showed up in WWF me and my mate were in awe as his dad had recently shown us one of the early UFCs... add that to Austin swearing and breaking Pillman's ankle and we suddenly thought wrestling was real!

I think he excelled in Japan or against the Japanese personally, seemed like a much better fit on the few tours he did. I remember a match in the US against Ogawa in 99 being okay.

Edited by CreativeControl
  • Like 2

Dan Severn is on that short list of wrestlers whose greatest contribution to the Wrestling business came far away from an actual wrestling show. Him, Jesse Ventura, Dwayne Johnson and Kazushi Sakuraba are the main four.

• Like 1

He gets plenty of work too.

Stand Still (announced) 
Dad
  A Gift of the Heart (pre-production) 
Juan Carera
  Mythe: Night of the Gorgon (pre-production) 
Detective Vorheese
 2020 Cockpit (TV Movie) (filming) 
Doctor Villapando
  Frennemis Jurés (TV Series) (post-production) 
Mr. Rodolpho del Rollo
- Game Over ... Mr. Rodolpho del Rollo
- Quand le chat n'est pas là ... Mr. Rodolpho del Rollo
  His Only Son (post-production) 
Eliezer
  SuperCool (post-production) 
Officer Ramirez
  Maestro (Short) (completed) 
Interloper
  The Contractor (completed) 
Hacker