DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Too Many Descriptors - 7/15/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Alexa’s also been pretty sick. I doubt she could breathe as well as she’s would’ve liked. I thought she did some really great stuff at extreme rules, which makes the women’s match from last night baffling. I could see her being fatigued if she’s still under the weather. I’d guess either she and Nikki split and wrestle at Summerslam, or one or both get added to the raw title match, since Natalya is as bland as wonder bread.

someone said Cedric Alexander was charismaless? lol. Ok.

liked the Bray return. Hope this jump starts him. 

Rollins? Again? What a burlap sack full of dogshit that is. He isn’t a star, no matter how much they try to make him one.

• Like 1

That women’s number one contender match baffled me as we’ve seen better from all involved. Hell, they were all part of the initial Smackdown six where their segments and matches were regularly eclipsing the Raw women at that time, who had what many considered the stronger roster. Wasn’t a bad match, just slow. It just sucks that they got the chant as most fans have short attention spans and tend to paintbrush them all as “see, told ya they were lousy” instead of just having an off night. 

Yeah - I guess in an interview last week, Alexa said the infection she had was the sickest she had ever been and was why she lost a bunch of weight.

I never understand why folks choose to fight with fans over Twitter over crowd reactions (and that is beyond just wrestling - athletes do it all the time too regarding booing)

No one ever looks good doing so.... though that comment can apply to social media in general too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Jamal said:

That women’s number one contender match baffled me as we’ve seen better from all involved. Hell, they were all part of the initial Smackdown six where their segments and matches were regularly eclipsing the Raw women at that time, who had what many considered the stronger roster. Wasn’t a bad match, just slow. It just sucks that they got the chant as most fans have short attention spans and tend to paintbrush them all as “see, told ya they were lousy” instead of just having an off night. 

No, they weren't. Their segments and feuds were better written, but their matches were entirely lacking back then, especially when compared to the Charlotte/Sasha feud that was running at the same time..

• Like 2

The early brand split SmackDown segments overall (and Talking Smack) always seemed like they were relatively free of Vince interference, too. You can tell because it became an enjoyable wrestling show.

How much of the reaction to the women's match is disappointment that it isn't Sasha-Becky at SummerSlam?

You also had the improv-ish Talking Smack that sometimes dictated how stories would play out. I think once Vince clamped down on that, they lost that extra freedom. The matches were still mediocre, but they were shorter, and they had the chance to fill in the gaps with the post show.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

This show made me waste precious minutes of my life passionately hoping Randy Orton would win. Fuck.

Fuck Randy Orton.  I want to see Orton vs. Lesnar as a PPV main event title match about as much as I want to be diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer.

Has everyone else in the world forgiven Hulk Hogan to the point where they are going to watch the Raw Reunion show next Monday?

I sure as shit haven't.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Has everyone else in the world forgiven Hulk Hogan to the point where they are going to watch the Raw Reunion show next Monday?

I sure as shit haven't.

Nor should you, my friend. Fuck Hulk Hogan.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, just drew said:

someone said Cedric Alexander was charismaless? lol. Ok.

Cedric is not without his thing, but his Wrestling is SERIOUS Business gimmick can be a tad off putting.   If Samoa Joe came to the ring with a stern look I might fear for my health and safety, but Cedric?  Not the dude that inspires fear.

CA's stare down with Drew was fucking comical.   I kept thinking that Cedric was so short, I don't think he could see past Drew's pectorals to actually look Drew in the eye.

I did not realize how much I missed Veda Scott being in CA's corner to give me something to watch other than the flippy spots in the ring but I have to give it to Cedric for bumping like a pinball for Drew's sloppy power offense.  

I'd have had to have sandbagged one of those suplex throws after the second or third time I landed directly on the base of my fucking spine.

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 1

I'll say it: I'm happy Seth Rollins won and he should win the title back from Brock in a competitive match at Summerslam. No more nutshot bullshit. He needs to beat Brock clean as a sheet.

Rollins is/was a good champion. It's not his fault that in both of his title runs the creative was absolute dogshit. First time around he gets saddled with HHH and Steph who made him look like shit each week and then this second time around he was stuck with an endless Baron Corbin feud. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I half watch most of the time while I watch wrestling these days unless it's a match that super excites me. RAW I caught pieces of, but I had most of hour 3 on last night. I thought the women's match was fine in a "paying attention in the background" kind of way. They showed fire and intensity throughout and tried to tell a story of the final 3 being difficult to put down. I even liked Naomi kicking out of the double pin, and I felt bad when the crowd buried it.

I just had a bigger problem with those 4 being the ones to challenge Becky because you'd hope your top women's superstar would get a marquee match at Summerslam. However, I do kind of expect this to get the ole bait and switch between now and early August. You can be critical of that take, but it's more on WWE for not doing a good job of building those 4 to stay a threat. Alexa is the only one who had an argument, and the night before hurt her from a booking standpoint.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

This show made me waste precious minutes of my life passionately hoping Randy Orton would win. Fuck.

Is Randy Orton the biggest waste of talent in modern wrestling? Some of it is on him, but I'll go back to what I said when asked who I would build a fed around" Randy Orton, Randy Orton, Randy Orton...

I checked out the two #1 contenders matches to see if they would try anything interesting. The women didn’t have a good night, so much so that my first thought was something went awry and they were re-booking mid-match. Nattie seems to challenge every time there’s an event in Toronto (I was going over Road Block to see Ambrose/HHH, she lost to Charlotte on that one). It’ll take effort to make her seem like a legit contender but they might be falling back on a semi hometown pop and haven’t thought about it further than that.

The main was fun. Big E looked boss. I also found myself rooting for Orton in the end but (Price is Right fail sound) Seth won again. @Craig H is right, Seth should go over Lesnar good and clean but they also failed to pull the trigger with Reigns and Lesnar, what, like five times? Last time I bought a ticket for a Lesnar PPV main event in Toronto it was over in two minutes so I’m skeptical at best.

• Like 1

Oh, I doubt Seth goes over clean and looks strong because like you said, they had that chance multiple times with Roman, ROMAN, and they never pulled the trigger until after multiple tries.

Seth vs Lesnar should be like one of the Marvel heroes fighting Thanos where Seth wins in the end, but he has to go through hell to get there.

12 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I also found myself rooting for Orton in the end 

Why are you horrible people trying to put this evil on Summer Slam?

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Seth vs Lesnar should be like one of the Marvel heroes fighting Thanos where Seth wins in the end, but he has to go through hell to get there.

I have no idea whose naked photos that Paul E is in a safe somewhere for Brock to be so protected lately.  Seth is not my favorite guy but even he as a constant #1 Contender should be able to pull off a clean win against Brock.

I don't think I have seen Brock outworked in a match since Eddy (RIP) grounded Brock in a fucking clinic in the WM main event before taking the title.

21 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Is Randy Orton the biggest waste of talent in modern wrestling? Some of it is on him, but I'll go back to what I said when asked who I would build a fed around" Randy Orton, Randy Orton, Randy Orton...

Thank God you aren't a money mark

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Why are you horrible people trying to put this evil on Summer Slam?

I have no idea whose naked photos that Paul E is in a safe somewhere for Brock to be so protected lately.  Seth is not my favorite guy but even he as a constant #1 Contender should be able to pull off a clean win against Brock.

I don't think I have seen Brock outworked in a match since Eddy (RIP) grounded Brock in a fucking clinic in the WM main event before taking the title.

It was No Way Out. And it wasn't necessarily totally clean. Goldberg interfered/distracted Brock and Eddy countered the F5 with a tornado DDT onto the title.

Brock then went on to face Goldberg at WM 20.

30 minutes ago, OSJ said:

It's amazing how many WWE people comment on how great Randy is. I was listening to JR yesterday and he was bemoaning that Orton might be underutilized right now int he WWE.

24 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It was No Way Out. And it wasn't necessarily totally clean. Goldberg interfered/distracted Brock and Eddy countered the F5 with a tornado DDT onto the title.

Gah, yeah.  It was No Way Out.

And yeah, it wasn't totally clean because Lie Cheat Steal was still in effect, but Brock did not really dominate or overpower Eddy in that match the way he manhandles dudes in the present, or at least I seem to recall through old man haze that the match was fairly competitive after Eddy was able to neutralize Brock's power and his ability to use the F5 by working on Brock's legs and knees..

If Seth is supposed to be the inheritor of the Cerebral Assassin mantle, why aren't there vignettes of him watching old Brock Lesnar losses to formulate a game plan? 

Certainly there are lessons to be learned from Eddy's leg work in NWO as well as attacking Brock's mid-section since he's worked a few cracked ribs gimmicks as well as had his shoot diagnosis of diverticulitis worked into a match angle?

Edited by J.T.