DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wow, I didn't know it underwent such bullshit: 

Pretty sure I saw it on DVD. I still need to read Dark Alliance someday. RIP Gary Webb

As far as Iran-Contra on TV Snowfall has had a fictionalized hand in it.

Yeah, I saw maybe one or two ads for Kill the Messenger which was weird considering that they could have easily gave it a half decent festival run.

An American Crime Story about The Cotton Club would be very interesting with its ties to the various shady people that kicked in some dough and the Roy Radin murder. The first time I read anything on Radin was a section in a book about the Son Of Sam called The Ultimate Evil that I read during my senior year of high school.

• Like 1

Well, on the complete opposite side of this conversation everyone is having - I watched the first episode of the Beverley Hill 90210 revival and it's not that bad. I've never seen the original show, have no desire to, but I like how this version is meta and not just "hey let's go back to this world and everyone is older etc". Rebooting the show (within the actual show) because Tori Spelling needs the money is hilarious.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

How did they handle it?

(Also, iirc, he already had declined to be in it before his death, right?)

He was invoked twice, both in kind of moments of silence and reflection (considering how ridiculous the rest of the show is), and the last scene was a scene from 90210 of him and Priestley at a beach early in the show's run before the tribute card to him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In case anybody wants to know, Dish is in the house now and the difference with DirecTV isn't huge. The remote lights up and has a voice control (both of which creep me out), there is apparently no autotune option unless I haven't figured it out yet, but each box in the house comes with its own DVR so you can record endless hours of stuff if you want so that kind of negates any complaints. Plus, since we have SiriusXM it's now on the TV so all of the really sucky music channels that came with Dish (boy, DirecTV has them over a barrel there) can be ignored. Not a lot of difference with channels besides the lack of El Rey and no HBO option at all. 

Also, boy oh boy City on a Hill you are a bastard for 

Spoiler

taking the one guy I thought was gonna get away clean and killed him off just to do it. 

That's just low. Which means there might be some nasty twists for the season finale. 

Also, Decourcy's bitter, dejected rant about the 1% -- 20 years before that became a national catchphrase -- is gold. That should be sampled on a record.

Edited by Curt McGirt

Succession returned last night and it was as good as usual. I counted 5 or 6 "fuck offs" with the first being in the first few minutes.

I desperately want there to be someone on this show I can like instead of a bunch of shitty people. Basically, I wish there was this show's version of a Richard Splett. Until we get that, I guess I'll hitch my ride to the Cousin Greg train. Actually, he probably is the Richard Splett of this show.

16 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Also, boy oh boy City on a Hill you are a bastard for 

Reveal hidden contents

taking the one guy I thought was gonna get away clean and killed him off just to do it. 

That's just low. Which means there might be some nasty twists for the season finale. 

Also, Decourcy's bitter, dejected rant about the 1% -- 20 years before that became a national catchphrase -- is gold. That should be sampled on a record.

Great episode.

Jackie's interaction with Kick at the end of the episode made me laugh.

Edited by driver

Oh, did that crack me up. Perfect response and reaction. 

On rewatching the episode

Spoiler

motherFUCK did the revelation about Jenny's rape and its coverup piss me off. And I guarantee Jackie killed that dude just like he killed the other rapist and pushed the reporter down the stairs. 

5 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I watched season 1 of Fargo this weekend and enjoyed it. Am I correct in assuming the other seasons are all separate stories with different casts? Does the quality stay the same throughout?

Yes to the first question, and IMO on the strength of Kirsten Dunst (Jeffrey Donovan was also pretty good) season 2 is the best season. Season three was good and on par with with season one.

• Like 1

I like all three seasons. Possible recency bias, but I think 3 is my favourite. Mary Elizabeth Winstead and David Thewlis are fantastic. Varga is probably my favourite villain from any of the seasons. All 3 are very rewatchable.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 7:14 AM, Raziel said:

I'm trying to figure out how I feel about Wu Assassin's, aside from the action is pretty good and Iko rules.  

My biggest problem is I can't unsee the Chairman from Iron Chef: America

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

My biggest problem is I can't unsee the Chairman from Iron Chef: America

I get more weirded out they keep calling him "Old Man" when Mark Dacasos has looked 30 for the last 15 years and looks the same age as Iko.

Regarding the Morning Show, Jesus, that show has to be expensive as hell for something that will contain barely any special effects. I doubt it will wind up being what I hoped the Newsroom would be, but I guess if it winds up not doing the Newsroom thing where they always got it right then it will work.

As for the Chrisleys, haven't they been in some sort of similar trouble before? Like before their TV show started?