DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

You seriously have to have a drinking problem when the top star in the companies history does a joke about seeing your mug shot on national TV AND STILL decides that drinking and driving a couple days later is a good idea. 

• Like 1

I'm racking my brain trying to remember the details, but didn't Vince write a letter to someone trying to get WCW pulled off TV at some point?  And now he's throwing out vague, concern-trolling dry snitching in investor calls? You'd think the guy with the huge grapefruits would be above bitch moves.

10 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I'm racking my brain trying to remember the details, but didn't Vince write a letter to someone trying to get WCW pulled off TV at some point?  And now he's throwing out vague, concern-trolling dry snitching in investor calls? You'd think the guy with the huge grapefruits would be above bitch moves.

He sued to try prevent Scott Hall from playing the Diamond Studd with an accent on WCW TV. He’s been doing this underhanded shit for years. He once got Starrcade moved out of November after he threatened PPV providers.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

He sued to try prevent Scott Hall from playing the Diamond Studd with an accent on WCW TV. He’s been doing this underhanded shit for years. He once got Starrcade moved out of November after he threatened PPV providers.

Yep, I remember all that.  But what I'm talking about is, Meltzer told a story of Vince literally writing a letter to someone with some sort of power, trying to get WCW kicked off TV or something.  It was akin to telling you friend's parents that they had cheated at football or something.  Really lame.

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

He sued to try prevent Scott Hall from playing the Diamond Studd with an accent on WCW TV.

Yes, but the blood, guts, and self mutilation thing was also kind of a ploy to get WCW off the air.  He wrote that letter to one of those government councils that was talking about gangsta rap back in the day.  Vince also did a lot of stuff trying to stop WCW from expanding in the 1990s even though their expansion wasn't anything close to what he spent the entire previous decade doing.  He literally looked at WCW, saw them doing everything he built his entire business around, and then cried and said, "this isn't fair," when WCW did it to him.  Vince McMahon is about as loathsome of a human being that has ever existed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Funny thing is Nitro never did blade jobs. Vince was the one who was doing that on a national level again.

I remember Hogan blading when he got hit with one of Woman's (or Liz's) high heels back when he was feuding with Arn and Flair. But yeah, it was pretty rare until their business went started going down. By then, as already mentioned, WWF had people getting color every other week. In the case of the First Blood stuff going into Fully Loaded 1999, it was every goddamn week and signing contracts in blood and whatnot.

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

Oh c'mon, that's hyperbole of the highest level, it isn't even the most iconic WWE or WWWF image. It's a big one certainly, but I can easily imagine it without the color. The thing with using color is (as I harp on a LOT) = less is more. If we see blood every week, we might as well be watching some outlaw mudshow as my pal Corny would call it,  it means nothing and is just an excuse for the couple of dozen ghouls that show up to soil themselves. Now if the blood is totally unexpected, and hear me out on this, the very best possible use is an out of the ring beatdown. We have an expectation in the back of our minds that we might see color in the course of a wrestling match, particularly when you have guys like Allin and Janela on the roster, it's what they do. What we don't expect is an attack during an interview or promo segment that leaves one wrestler with blood dripping from his head as he's helped to his feet and finishes or cuts a new promo based on the attack. That's how you put meat in the seats for next week's show boys and girls. This ain't rocket science.

'

I honestly don't think it's hyperbole to say that the following image/video clip is the most iconic in WWF/E history.  It was what launched the career of the biggest star of their most successful period.  I honestly don't think the moment, the match, or the double turn works nearly as well without the blade job.  The blood is the most vivid detail that shows that Bret went from a babyface who is trying to win to a heel who is trying to hurt his opponent.  The passing out in a pool of his own blood instead of quitting is what changed Steve Austin from a bully heel to a babyface ass kicker who is willing to die before he quits.  You take away the blood and both Bret's viciousness and Austin's courage are dialed back a couple of notches.  With that said, I agree with most of what you said about less blood making blood far more meaningful.

tumblr_mhessl5jXT1rt73joo5_250.gif

• Like 7

I HATED anytime you had bleeding on Nitro past a certain year. The camera would zoom all the way out and you couldn't tell what was happening in the ring. I want to say this happened in a Steve Regal match and others too.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Vince also sent a letter to Turner about it.

Self-mutilation was his preferred term for blading when he was opposed to it.

Vince talks/writes like what a dumb person thinks a smart person sounds like.  Five dollar words all over the place. 

I WOULD LIKE TO INITIATE COITUS WITH YOU IF YOU ARE AMENDABLE TO IT

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 6

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I HATED anytime you had bleeding on Nitro past a certain year. The camera would zoom all the way out and you couldn't tell what was happening in the ring. I want to say this happened in a Steve Regal match and others too.

It’s either the infamous Nitro Regal Vs. Benoit, or the parking lot brawl with Findlay you’re thinking of. The Benoit one is super funny because it was one of the first nWo on commentary spots, and Hall struggles to cover for the hardway blood. Benoit & Regal would later re-do that match for the Pillman memorial that is on the Benoit dvd.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Craig H said:

This is pre Nitro but they did that when Dustin Rhodes bladed during Terry Funk's run-in after the bullrope match at Slamboree 1994. They also had a bunch of WCW officials cover him up when you can probably tell he got massive juice. So Dustin basically gigged for no reason. That was bizarre.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It's funny, but I can't think of one memorable blade job in the entire Nitro era.  Did Flair even blade when Henning slammed his head in the cage door?  

• Like 1

Man, WCW really handled blood in a weird way, but I guess that's what happens when you're at the mercy of standards and practices in the 90s. I'm glad things are more relaxed now and I'm glad the cameras don't shy away from the blood during WWE broadcasts. It's still annoying when doctors try to stop the bleeding, which they can never stop. The refs and doctor stopping a match for bleeding only worked once and that was for Finn vs Joe in NXT because every time they stopped the match it was like putting a raging bull back in his pen and once they re-started the match, they were just destroying the fuck out of each other. It almost felt like that match was broken up into rounds.

3 minutes ago, supremebve said:

It's funny, but I can't think of one memorable blade job in the entire Nitro era.  Did Flair even blade when Henning slammed his head in the cage door?  

I...can't remember...I want to say Flair definitely bladed in that era, but I can't think of exactly when. Meanwhile, I do recall Hogan and maybe Macho Man too both gigging when being hit with Liz's heel.

Which reminds me that a woman's high heel made for a great weapon. That thing is a spike.

Edited by Craig H

2 hours ago, OSJ said:

Oh c'mon, that's hyperbole of the highest level, it isn't even the most iconic WWE or WWWF image

I’m legit trying and failing to think of a more iconic image. The finish would’ve got over and achieved the double turn without blood but it really was the icing on the cake

Flair bladed I believe in his cage match with Savage. Guy scalped himself in that match. He bladed for the Curt Hennig turn. He didn’t blade when the nWo left him for dead surprisingly. I stopped my recent re-watch of WCW in August, so I don’t remember where else people bladed.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

41 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Vince also sent a letter to Turner about it.

Self-mutilation was his preferred term for blading when he was opposed to it.

His attitude seems all the more bizarre when you think of that absolute gusher he tapped against Taker in 2002

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I...can't remember...I want to say Flair definitely bladed in that era, but I can't think of exactly when. Meanwhile, I do recall Hogan and maybe Macho Man too both gigging when being hit with Liz's heel.

If Flair did it, it wasn't that memorable or it was on PPV most likely or at like a Clash.  They didn't do a whole bunch of blood on TV when they were killing WWF in the ratings. The really goofy (and extremely dangerous) stuff didn't start until after WWF overtook them in the ratings when they were clearly desperate. Obviously, you would probably have Flair trying to bash himself in the head during some crazy promo trying to get hardway or possibly pre-blading. Other than that or people going into business for themselves, stuff was saved for the PPV.

2 hours ago, nofuture said:

Got to love Wall Street.  WWE's financials come out not looking that great, but because Wall Street was expecting a lot worse, their stock is up 10%.

It’s not really that weird because the stock price would have reflected the lower expectations, so when things weren’t as bad as expected, the stock price should adjust accordingly.

20 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

I’m legit trying and failing to think of a more iconic image. The finish would’ve got over and achieved the double turn without blood but it really was the icing on the cake

The Hogan/Andre staredown is the about the only thing that comes to my mind as a possible alternative.  

j8s3ppah4fa11.jpg

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, CSC said:

The Hogan/Andre staredown is the about the only thing that comes to my mind as a possible alternative.  

j8s3ppah4fa11.jpg

It becomes a question of are we talking about organic or the stuff WWF/E has pushed down people's throats for the last 35 plus years to make iconic through revisionist history?