DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

22 minutes ago, AxB said:

Do you not just lose your driving license for a year when you get done for more than one DUI? That's the law over here. Then it's five years, then a lifetime ban. The harsh but fair British legal system.

Would that were the case... Here in NM we have assholes driving around with 9 or 10 DUIs on their record. Ridiculous. As a former drinker, I'll say this: Anyone can fuck up once and get a DUI, okay, give 'em a fine and a warning. Twice, you're license is suspended for a year, three times five years, four times, get used to walking motherfucker. Society won't tolerate some goof running around blasting a shotgun in the air to get his jollies because that's a deadly weapon; so is a car.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Couldn't happen to a more terrible company (per the WON)

Thanks for posting this as it's reminded me to talk about the WWE European Tour in November getting dates cancelled or changed . WWE used to come to a city where it's easier for me to travel to twice a year but it's now it's November only. You get RAW one year and Smackdown Live the next. I was thinking about going this November (first time since November 2016) because it was Smackdown's Live turn and most of my favourites are on the show.

I went onto the arena's website a few weeks ago to find the show is  now a RAW event and the date was changed as well. I've decided not to go because you don't know if some wrestlers will be there as the Brand Split is a lot looser than it was previously. The biggest reason is WWE's treatment of the UK fanbase, European dates getting cancelled/moved all for a despotic regime. In closing, Fuck WWE and Fuck Saudi Arabia.

EDIT: Uso again? Jesus.

Edited by The Natural

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

As per usual - if you can hire a good enough lawyer, frequently the DUI won't even show up on someone's record

And this is Jimmy's first DUI. The incident earlier this year was him jumping out of the car to confront the cops after Naomi was pulled over going the wrong way. She wasn't impaired or arrested. Jey has a DUI in Texas from last year, as I recall.

Edited by Burgundy LaRue

Successive British governments have gone to surprising lengths to change people's attitudes to drink driving over the decades. Some of the PSAs we used to get were bloody harsh. Back in the early 90s, when there were four TV channels, the big soap opera put out a spoiler that a beloved character was getting killed off, by being hit by a drunk driver. At this point, a lot of people had absorbed the drink driving = bad idea, but considered it to be a working class men issue. The classic middle class"I'm not part of the problem" myopia. So the actual drink drive killer was a) also a beloved character in the show, and b) a middle aged middle class bottle of wine at a dinner party drinker.

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

As per usual - if you can hire a good enough lawyer, frequently the DUI won't even show up on someone's record

A DUI has to be the most arbitrarily punished crime in the United States.  Some people get away with little to no punishment, and some people end up losing everything.  I remember I went to Montreal and me and my friend were talking to the dudes in line behind us.  We were laughing and joking and decided we were going to get a drink later that night.  So, we show up to this bar and it turns out they didn't let one of the guys into Canada because he had a 9-year-old DUI on his record from when he was 19.  His friend, who was trashed already when we met up with him, was talking about how he had 3 DUIs as an "adult" and got them all wiped off his record.  His friend tried, and the judge basically told him, "So sad Jojo," and wouldn't remove it.  

1 minute ago, matt925 said:

I'm reading "Nitro," and he did this exact same thing to WCW when Nitro started.  You can argue that the biggest star in the history of the business started his ascent with a legendary blade job.  Can you imagine Steve Austin passing out in the sharpshooter without the blood flowing down his face?  It may be the single most iconic image in wrestling history.

1 minute ago, alstein said:

I think AEW's plans are to save the color for the big shows.

I don't think Cody wants to resemble his dad in 10 years.

"Red equals green, daddy!"

Yeah...WWE in this era hasn't done totally brutal and stupid shit.

Or maybe, like everyone at AEW has said, they won't be doing that stuff on weekly TV and accidental hardway blood is, well, accidental. Not much you can do about that.

• Like 2

There are a bunch of interesting quotes coming from Vince out of the investor phone call but it is just easier to wait till the end to recap it all

Oh, Vince was right on his high horse about blood when Nitro started. "I will not allow self mutilation on my programming" and all that shit. Then he brought blading back within a few months.

Just now, RIPPA said:

There are a bunch of interesting quotes coming from Vince out of the investor phone call but it is just easier to wait till the end to recap it all

The biggest thing I saw was that WWE will be edgier, but is more sophisticated and what their "competition" is doing with blood and guts is "crap."

9 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I'm reading "Nitro," and he did this exact same thing to WCW when Nitro started.  You can argue that the biggest star in the history of the business started his ascent with a legendary blade job.  Can you imagine Steve Austin passing out in the sharpshooter without the blood flowing down his face?  It may be the single most iconic image in wrestling history.

Funny thing is Nitro never did blade jobs. Vince was the one who was doing that on a national level again.

Vince out there tossing out the red meat that the Newz sites are running with right as Advertising selling starts..

Don't try to out carny the King.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Oh c'mon, that's hyperbole of the highest level, it isn't even the most iconic WWE or WWWF image. It's a big one certainly, but I can easily imagine it without the color. The thing with using color is (as I harp on a LOT) = less is more. If we see blood every week, we might as well be watching some outlaw mudshow as my pal Corny would call it,  it means nothing and is just an excuse for the couple of dozen ghouls that show up to soil themselves. Now if the blood is totally unexpected, and hear me out on this, the very best possible use is an out of the ring beatdown. We have an expectation in the back of our minds that we might see color in the course of a wrestling match, particularly when you have guys like Allin and Janela on the roster, it's what they do. What we don't expect is an attack during an interview or promo segment that leaves one wrestler with blood dripping from his head as he's helped to his feet and finishes or cuts a new promo based on the attack. That's how you put meat in the seats for next week's show boys and girls. This ain't rocket science.

'

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Hearing on WOR that Vince completely changed Smackdown at 4 in the morning like always. LOL... Heyman, and Bischoff aren’t going to get an ounce of control by August.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Translation: "I have purchased two monkeys that I will poke with a stick from time to time because it amuses me to hear them screech." 

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Got to love Wall Street.  WWE's financials come out not looking that great, but because Wall Street was expecting a lot worse, their stock is up 10%.

tumblr_n4tfibqdvd1sg99p0o1_1280.png

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4