DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

I don't think it's bad to set up schools and/or look for talent in these places.  I just think it's a waste of time and money to try to pander to a group of people who don't seem to have any interest in punching each other in the face for money.  The UFC spends a lot of time and money putting on shows in China...and the best one is about to have her head caved in by Jessica Andrade.  It seems like a lot of effort to have your best hope beaten to a pulp in front of her entire country.  

Agreed. However, if we're talking about finding a Manny Pacquiao type heroic/icon who actually draws, he is going to be fighting exclusively in the states especially when we're talking MMA and boxing. Pacquiao would go back and fight once and awhile back in the Philippines against someone like Fahsan 3k Battery but that was when he first came over as a 122 pounder or moved up to 126. Once he was a star, it was always in Vegas or somewhere that tourists flock. The same can be said for a Conor McGregor. How long did the UFC dangle that Croke Park fight carrot for it to never happen? And it won't happen now seeing as Conor made around 100 million to fight Floyd.

Even if you bring in the economy thing, looking at the Zou Shimings and Vijender Singhs of the world, they're either fighting in Macau (which is a gambler's paradise) or some god forsaken place where the infrastructure (or venue itself) doesn't allow for it to look big time. Neither are good enough fighters to make above that level in the first place. It's not worth it.  

Vasyl Lomachenko (whose Ukrainian and not Russian) fights mostly in Los Angeles and NYC at the Garden/Hulu Theater. He draws here because he is a goddamn unicorn. He is only fighting in London in August because of a TV situation/mandatory that had to happen so he could keep his titles. Otherwise, it would be in the United States. So this America is not the World only works on a certain level. If the infrastructure doesn't exist, America IS very much the world especially when it comes to fighting. One FC tried to create it when they first launched with their connection with Evolve MMA/BJJ and it hasn't really worked to this phenomenal level. Floyd Mayweather and Roy Jones Jr. went over to Russia to set up boxing academies in these big public events. They still haven't gotten past holding shows at the actual academies.TUF China really didn't work for the UFC as well some of their other UFC projects to find international fighters. 

You should definitely put in the legwork, but the only way it's going to happen is organically.

18 minutes ago, supremebve said:

The UFC spends a lot of time and money putting on shows in China...and the best one is about to have her head caved in by Jessica Andrade.  It seems like a lot of effort to have your best hope beaten to a pulp in front of her entire country.  

I'll likely have more to say about this when it rolls around and in the appropriate forum as well, but they also can probably make her a star if she wins. One fucked up making Angela Lee a star by putting her in with folks who were bigger and on her level. Zhang at least can actually fight and looks impressive against real competition. I wouldn't have made the Andrade fight that fast, but at the same time, I don't think Jessica Andrade is above and beyond the number 1 strawweight. She was getting pieced up by Rose before she hit that Chris Benoit/Sabu "toss you in the air and however you land is your business" spot. I picked Jessica to win that fight and likely picking her to beat Zhang, but I still have to be honest.

9 hours ago, AxB said:

Maybe WWE and NJPW will recommence their old relationship. Be nice, get AJ and Nakamura back in the Tokyo Dome one last time. Roman and the Usos vs Tama, Tanga & Fale. Seth Rollins dying to have a better Ishii match than Moxley did. Stuff of nightmares, innit?

Please God, no.

First a pedantic nitpick: Michael Jackson didn't buy the Beatles catalog. He bought the publishing rights. He got nothing for mechanical reproduction, he just got part of the royalties for the song writing. Paul McCartney actually made a decent chunk of his own fortune doing the same thing (although, in his case, he then went and made sure people like Buddy Holly's widow actually got their share of the royalties, something that hadn't really been happening beforehand)

As far as "who was a bigger star, MJ or The Beatles?" It's not really a question with an answer. I mean, The Beatles sold more records, both in the U.S. and worldwide, but Thriller was a significantly bigger, more successful album than anything they did. The Beatles were deeply influenced by Black American music, and it's definitely unfair that their cover of Twist & Shout was a billion times more popular than both The Top Notes original and The Isley Brothers version. The Beatles in turn influenced everybody that came after them (and some who came before them. Ike and Tina and Arthea both did some amazing Beatles covers that I can't recommend highly enough)

To tie this back into Hogan/Austin... Hogan was a bigger mainstream star. People who didn't watch wrestling all knew exactly who Hulk Hogan was.

But Steve Austin was a bigger star in pro wrestling. He sold more tickets, more ppvs, and more merchandise. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

Paul McCartney vs. Michael Jackson in a shoot circa 1995 who wins?

Paul. He would have unleashed all that anger over MJ buying the Beatles catalog and licensing "Revolution" to be used in a Nike commercial. Paul would have given Michael a legit reason to have all that plastic surgery.

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Vince talks/writes like what a dumb person thinks a smart person sounds like.  Five dollar words all over the place. 

I WOULD LIKE TO INITIATE COITUS WITH YOU IF YOU ARE AMENDABLE TO IT

The American Dad episode where Stan starts dating again:  "INTERCOURSE!"

• Like 1

For the record, Dara Singh is by far the most famous Indian pro-wrestler - beat Lou Thesz for the "World Heavyweight Title", 50+ year Bollywood career and was elected to parliament. Beat that Sonjay Dutt.

• Like 4

I can't believe I just thought of this question. Did Ultimo Dragon use the Dragon Sleeper as a finisher or even at all before he went to WCW? I don't really know his work before that period very well in terms of what he did in the ring.

Edited by Ryan

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

I honestly don't know, but I believe each state is different. I only know of one person who got a DUI and they had their license suspended after their 2nd or 3rd DUI.

Their license was eventually reinstated and from that point on they didn't drink and drive anymore. They either got a ride from a friend or family member when going out or now they take an Uber.

In Wisconsin it's a traffic fine and any other stuff can be plead out if you can get a good lawyer. Our laws are really pathetic. That's why you read about guys with like their 14th DUI who've literally been in and out of jail for years at a time and then killing someone this time. Yes, they get a license of some sort and there's the breathalyzer thing, but many just have people blow it for them or just use another car or just don't give a shit.

4 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Call me.

All I get is a voice-mail saying you're at the bar and you'll get back to me and I'm message #1,093.

On 7/24/2019 at 9:29 AM, Smelly McUgly said:

The best part about Joker Sting was that while the look was patterned on Heath Ledger's Joker, it's very clear from Sting's performance that his point of reference for the Joker is Cesar Romero.  

I disagree. His references really seemed to come from Jim Carrey's Riddler.

55 minutes ago, nofuture said:

The MLW crew better step up their game. Because if they don’t hit back as hard as the NOAH roster, then what’s the point of this alliance? I think this will probably benefit Low-Ki the most. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

EAW-e_AWwAAGnoj?format=jpg&name=large

More people will see the following here plus its a good news story. Tegan Nox returned to the ring at an NXT house show.

Nox injured her left leg in last year's Mae Young Classic. When I say injured, doesn't do it justice. Nox tore her ACL, PCL, MCL, dislocated knee cap, bone contusions and fibula fracture. Never heard as bad an injury. The year before Tegan tore her ACL in the other knee. Welcome back, Tegan Nox. Hope she stays injury free with what she's gone through.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AxB said:

Michael Jackson wasn't The Beatles. Nor was he Elvis. There's always an unattainable level.

I beg to differ on that point..   Michael Jackson was "it" to people a little bit older than me and I'd say he's way bigger for my generation also.  

I didn't see anyone mention it but I think Hulk Hogan vs. Ultimate Warrior  is another iconic WWF moment. It's not as big as Andre and Hogan but to anyone who is 30+ age group it's insanely memorable. 

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Hold on so Nicki Minaj said "nah, this Saudi Arabia civil rights shit is too much for me...."   but WWE is still shaking their hands and smiling ear to ear. Nice. 

Nicki doesn’t have to save up to paper football stadiums in 8 cities for three or four weeks before giving up and declaring that you changed the game enough.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Flair bladed I believe in his cage match with Savage. Guy scalped himself in that match. He bladed for the Curt Hennig turn. He didn’t blade when the nWo left him for dead surprisingly. I stopped my recent re-watch of WCW in August, so I don’t remember where else people bladed.

Flair bladed at Starrcade 95. Or rather, Savage bladed him and nearly scalped him. Flair was so messed up he couldn't even do a post-match interview with Mean Gene. I still don't know why Savage bladed him instead of Flair just doing it himself. 

11 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Flair bladed at Starrcade 95. Or rather, Savage bladed him and nearly scalped him. Flair was so messed up he couldn't even do a post-match interview with Mean Gene. I still don't know why Savage bladed him instead of Flair just doing it himself. 

This plus the camera cutting away. There's a photo of Ric Flair post match but I can't find it.

Edited by The Natural