DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

17 minutes ago, EVA said:

I honestly wouldn’t even consider Mox/Janella a real death match.  Barbwire boards and thumbtacks were pretty standard hardcore fare in mainstream wrestling prior to PG.

Yeah, if you aren't carving people up with a scythe like the late, great Mr. Pogo or blowing up the ring as Onita was fond of doing, get out of here with that lameass shit. The mutants want to see buckets of blood!

• Like 1

Okay so this makes no sense.  MJF is teaming with Shawn Spears after he was the first person to help Cody after the chair shot by Spears.   Granted his helping Cody is completely phony and doing it more to be in his powerful inner circle but why would you team with Spears on the first show back

D-o-kCnU8AA8Jh6.jpg

10 hours ago, Casey said:

That right there is why they don't need to build storylines on a YouTube show that not everybody watches. Because MJF, while he might be the protege, also shit talks everyone close to Cody, including his wife (and he tried to kill his dog). And Cody knows about all of it, if I'm remembering BTE correctly.

Also, Moxley/Janela is the only thing that could even be considered a deathmatch on their two shows, and even that's a stretch. By that measure, Orton/Foley from Backlash 2004 was also a deathmatch.

BTE is most likely ending when the TNT show starts. While I like BTE, I won't miss the bitching from those that don't watch it, and thus aren't up to speed on the angles. When the weekly show starts, do people want AEW to beat us over the head and recap things we just saw like some other promotion does? Is it really too much to take 15-20 minutes out of your day once a week to check out BTE and get caught up? People act like this is Mike Quackenbush levels of storytelling. 

I also don't consider Moxley/Janela a death match. No lighttubes, fire, glass panes, and explosions = no death match.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is it really too much to take 15-20 minutes out your day once a week to check out BTE and get caught up?

Based on the quality of the humour? 100% yes.

It's not like there's that much to get caught up on. Shuffling my feet around wrestling talk on the internet catches me up on anything of value via osmosis. 

• Like 2

Just now, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

It's not like there's that much to get caught up on. Shuffling my feet around wrestling talk on the internet catches me up on anything of value via osmosis. 

I like the majority of BTE, aside from the vlog stuff and travelling scenes. Humor is subjective, so it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. There's enough to get caught up on that would prevent a lot of the crying and "There's no storylines. They're just throwong shit against the wall to see what sticks."

At the same time, these people looking for WWE-style excessive recaps are a straw man. Even among people offering criticism of AEW, I've never actually seen a take like that in the wild.

As for the rest, as I've said repeatedly, TV will fix a lot of problems. I can empathize people who want to watch wrestling matches/shows, but not the stuff in between. 

I'd like to think I don't side too hard with any "criers" though. It's simple enough to infer or pick up by osmosis. It's professional wrestling, not rocket science. Shit, half the reason commentators are there is to add context because not everyone's watching everything. What is there to complain about? I barely touch BTE, and I didn't feel like I'd missed a thing watching DoN or Fyter Fest.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

I mostly just watch the "Road to" shows on Youtube.  They are more about the actual show and less about all of this Elite stuff.   But again they are only about 10 minutes long, you can easily put them on the pre-shows instead of these inside joke promos

• Like 4

I'm interested in the booked 6-man. I'm sure it could lead to Spears and MJF throwing down and costing themselves the match. Down the line we could get a Heel vs Heel match Spears v MJF that helps build Spears v Cody. If done right, I like the potential depth in storytelling. 

Saying that, idk how I feel about the angle leading to Rhodes Bros vs Young Bucks. Playful behind the back teasing? Hasn't really grabbed me yet. I'll give it a chance to build up, but hopefully it leads to more. More shit talk or future matches. Or even it becomes a part of their character to clown on everyone. 

Moxley vs Janela, like TNA Barbed Wire Massacre III (LAX vs OVE) featured people bumping onto tacks & wire and stuff, but nobody actually bladed. And surface wounds like you get from those items, that only pierce the skin by like half an inch or less, don't bleed much. Especially not from your back. You only get a decent crimson mask type bleed from a deep cut, or one to the forehead.

19 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That, match up looks really cool on paper, but why is MJF teaming with Spears, when MJF is still in story Cody’s protégé?

MJF did a "Say whaaat?" reply on Twitter to help move this along.

From a booker perspective, it's three hardcore dudes against "pretty boys" that don't like said hardcore dudes. Not everyone has to get along. Plus the added dynamic of MJF being Cody's boy and now teaming with the guy who split Cody's head open creates a unique storyline within the fight itself. Will these two get along? Will MJF cost his team the match to get a measure of revenge for Cody, or is the need to win too great?

These are the types of matches that ultimately make for good TV, too.

EDIT: And to add to the "MJF shouldn't be on the preshow" argument, I disagree. The Buy-Ins have had a lot of weak shit on them (barring anything SCU-related) and this type of match is exactly what you should have to hook the fans.

Edited by Marty Sugar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I actually just watched Moxley Vs Janela again for the first time just now since I watched it live. I actually liked it way more this way, than live. For one, I could see the cuts on Moxley’s back, and two, they did a lot more storytelling with their faces than I anticipated. Moxley being the vet tough guy, and Janela being the punk upstart. A match built in a man wanting respect rather than hatred. Very similar traits to the Cody Vs. Allin match, but not exactly the same. I quite enjoyed them both. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I also look at the six man tag as three disingenuous guys only after their best interests in MJF, Sammy Guevara, and Spears vs. three guys who don't hide who they are in Janela, Allin, and Havoc.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I also look at the six man tag as three disingenuous guys only after their best interests in MJF, Sammy Guervara, and Spears vs. three guys who don't hide who they are in Janela, Allin, and Havoc.

Yeah, like Havoc can be trusted at all to not fuck someone over, too. Numerous potential storylines in this one.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

Yeah, like Havoc can be trusted at all to not fuck someone over, too. Numerous potential storylines in this one.

The thing about Havoc, Allin, and Janela is you know what they are. They don't hide it. 

• Like 1

Apparently Fyter Fest averaged 140k viewers in b/r live, with a total of 350k different viewers logging in during the show. 

I watched on fite for $10 USD, I wonder how they did with paid viewers compared to DoN.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

BTE is most likely ending when the TNT show starts. While I like BTE, I won't miss the bitching from those that don't watch it, and thus aren't up to speed on the angles. When the weekly show starts, do people want AEW to beat us over the head and recap things we just saw like some other promotion does? Is it really too much to take 15-20 minutes out of your day once a week to check out BTE and get caught up?

6 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The flat comedy of the BTE segments frightens me in concerns to the Fall TV launch.  BTE is partially what has made these guys as popular as they are, so clearly there's an audience.  But, ughs all around for how the BTE related nonsense like the Fyre/Fyter fake doc segment and the Librarians have played out on TV.  I'd love to see some of the post-event reporters questioning the creative heads (Bucks, Khan, etc.) directly about this stuff.  I'm very much on board with this promotion, it's the reason I'm discussing wrestling on this board after a 15 year absence, but I do fear what merging the BTE with AEW's weekly TV might result in.  It'll be interesting to see how they respond to the largely negative reaction of these bits.  

As for the Six Man, not usually a fan of disgruntled partner tag matches, but I'm interested to see how this one plays out.  Also, much prefer 6 man tags to the *yawn* multi-man (3 or 4 ways, etc.) matches.  This does present a bit of a snag in creative - who is signing these matches?  I absolutely do not want a weekly commissioner/owner role  in this promotion (I trust they've got better taste than that), but wouldn't be opposed to a Jack Tunney type president.  Somebody in charge so as to make clear that the EVPs are not the ones responsible for making the matches.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

16 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I absolutely do not want a weekly commissioner/owner role  in this promotion (I trust they've got better taste than that), but wouldn't be opposed to a Jack Tunney type president.  Somebody in charge so as to make clear that the EVPs are not the ones responsible for making the matches.  

I nominate Dean Malenko(Who I believe works for AEW, and was on camera at Fyter Fest) as on-air President. Just introduce him to a bottle of Just For Men, and a tannning salon before putting him on camera.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

The flat comedy of the BTE segments frightens me in concerns to the Fall TV launch.  BTE is partially what has made these guys as popular as they are, so clearly there's an audience.  But, ughs all around for how the BTE related nonsense like the Fyre/Fyter fake doc segment and the Librarians have played out on TV.  I'd love to see some of the post-event reporters questioning the creative heads (Bucks, Khan, etc.) directly about this stuff.  I'm very much on board with this promotion, it's the reason I'm discussing wrestling on this board after a 15 year absence, but I do fear what merging the BTE with AEW's weekly TV might result in.  It'll be interesting to see how they respond to the largely negative reaction of these bits. 

I'm with you on the BTE stuff, it's not for me and I'm not a fan of it spreading over to AEW. But I think the Road To vids are closer to what their TV will be like. Most recent one had a brief skirmish between MJF and Spears that was all the build I needed if they were having a match instead of teaming up and one of the Road To Fyter Fest videos got me hyped for Private Party and I'd never even heard of them before.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Meltzer said he was told to expect the WWE's counter to All Out to be announced shortly

Raw is going to four hours, Smackdown to three, Vince and Stephanie will join Shane being on tv twice a week.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Raw is going to four hours, Smackdown to three, Vince and Stephanie will join Shane being on tv twice a week.

No, Vince has a new coke dealer RAW is going to 24/7 all VKM, all the time! "That will put meat in the seats, pal!"

• Haha 1