DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

15 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The thing AEW needs most is an in-house musician.  Their themes are fucking awful.  That would go a long ways for their TV show. 

Or how about a really good curator?  I’d love for them to move away from the status quo/bland rock and use more hip hop and electronic and experimental sounds.  If you dig your heels in you can find an endless supply of great music already available from a wide range of independent performers from across the globe.  Ppl who might really value the opportunity to be heard on a internationally viewed weekly program aimed at 18-35 year olds.  

3 hours ago, OSJ said:

On the other hand, the less said about Jimmy Garvin prancing around to "Sharp-dressed Man", the better.

Totally disagree, I love Sharp Dressed Man as a theme, and loved Garvin’s Use of it.  Almost as great as it’s use in the theme for Don Cherry’s Grapevine.  

• Like 5

13 hours ago, AxB said:

Also, his left arm tattoo is either extremely similar to Jeff Hardy's, or an exact copy.

The first show I saw him wrestle on featured him wearing an exact copy of Jeff Hardy's face paint but in black and white, so yeah.

I mean Chessman has a Goldberg tattoo (no not THE Goldberg with his dong out tattoo but a tattoo of Goldberg's tattoo) and he used to be pretty respected so I don't think it's viewed as goofy as we probably think it's viewed.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, OSJ said:

Would you want to be the record label exec that tells a subordinate, "Look there's this wrestling group running shows in a bingo hall that likely owes us royalties, would you go and collect from them?"

Like there's a single record label exec above shaking down anyone! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Even though I think it’s stock music. MJF does has a good theme, with a recognizable opening now that he’s come out to it a few times. 

and he uses it in multiple promotions, so if you were watching him in MLW or CZW, you'd know his intro music by now

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

1 hour ago, Tromatagon said:

The first show I saw him wrestle on featured him wearing an exact copy of Jeff Hardy's face paint but in black and white, so yeah.

I mean Chessman has a Goldberg tattoo (no not THE Goldberg with his dong out tattoo but a tattoo of Goldberg's tattoo) and he used to be pretty respected so I don't think it's viewed as goofy as we probably think it's viewed.

Wait, somebody has a tattoo of Goldberg with his dick out? Maybe it's the guy with the Hulk Hogan back tattoo and Goldberg is his chest piece.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Wait, somebody has a tattoo of Goldberg with his dick out? Maybe it's the guy with the Hulk Hogan back tattoo and Goldberg is his chest piece.

Well, one thing for sure is that this rendition would be circumsized. 

Edited by Wyld Samurai
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

and he uses it in multiple promotions, so if you were watching him MLW or CZW, you'd know his intro music by now

And I was thinking the other day they should re-do it, and make it sound more professional. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that would be a mistake. This guy should be disliked by the fans. Don’t give the fans anything to latch onto by giving him a fresh coat of paint.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

3 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Or how about a really good curator?  I’d love for them to move away from the status quo/bland rock and use more hip hop and electronic and experimental sounds.  If you dig your heels in you can find an endless supply of great music already available from a wide range of independent performers from across the globe.  Ppl who might really value the opportunity to be heard on a internationally viewed weekly program aimed at 18-35 year olds.  

Totally disagree, I love Sharp Dressed Man as a theme, and loved Garvin’s Use of it.  Almost as great as it’s use in the theme for Don Cherry’s Grapevine.  

As did I, however, nothing much about Jimmy Garvin has aged well for me and I say that as a huge ZZ Top fan. Garvin was a great heel in WCCW, when he jumped to JCP and became a face he lost an awful lot of what made him cool. That, and he turned from good to incredibly formulaic and lazy almost overnight.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OSJ said:

As did I, however, nothing much about Jimmy Garvin has aged well for me and I say that as a huge ZZ Top fan. Garvin was a great heel in WCCW, when he jumped to JCP and became a face he lost an awful lot of what made him cool. That, and he turned from good to incredibly formulaic and lazy almost overnight.

Agree with much of this...his last great heel run was in 85 after leaving Dallas...he did some shots with Martel in AWA for the title and the awesome Garvins / Rougeau feud in Montreal...it was downhill afterwards.

My Television region made JCP NWA impossible to follow on a weekly basis, so my exposure to Gorgeous Jimmy and his beautiful valet Precious was pretty random.  I always thought his charisma jumped off the screen, and I wasn't sure whether to boo or cheer him.  I'm sure you're analysis is accurate.  I've seen some of the war with the Rougeaus in MTL and Von Erichs in Texas.  Garvin also held the AWA tag titles with Steve Regal; which I also saw very little of, but did have their action figures, so I had some great imaginary battles with the Roadies and the Birds during the late 80s.  I always loved finding the far more obscure to the LJN, at least in Canada, AWA figures.  I had a Flair double pack with Zbysko as well.

Glad we can all agree on the love for Double Z Top.  I dig their 70s run, but Eliminator is still a go to.  Also, I absolutely loved the 'Got Me Under Pressure' opening for Maple Leaf Wrestling here in Canada circa 1986. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus

3 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

This is a great idea. I’m not as on top of my indie bands as I used to be but even I could source 20 good entrance songs from the ones I know that would cost next to nothing. Plus indie music these days covers a very wide spectrum of styles and isn’t just white dudes with beards and guitars anymore, although you’d have to be careful which ones had the money to mix well enough to be played in an arena. And if you can get a real music nerd there’s tons of forgotten songs from the 60s to the 90s you could probably get for a steal. (I just desperately want someone to come out to Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds.)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

FWIW- Jimmy Garvin vs David Von Erich was just an amazing angle. I loved Jimmy and Precious on the Von Erich Ranch 

Yes indeed it was! Garvin was great when he was in World Class, I haven't seen nearly enough Montreal stuff, but I should seek it out as Ronnie Garvin is one of my all-time favorites, and I'd be delighted to see more energetic Jimmy Garvin stuff. I didn't get AWA regularly, but it seems like he was still good then. When he went to JCP I think he was just sort of bored with the whole deal. He put more energy into his entrances than he did into the matches themselves.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That, match up looks really cool on paper, but why is MJF teaming with Spears, when MJF is still in story Cody’s protégé?

Yeeeaaah...wait a minute here...That doesn't make any sense.

Not to mention, MJF shouldn't be on pre-show matches anymore. If anything, MJF should be cutting promos on the pre-show to make you want to watch the full show to see him get his ass beat.

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Team Stupid-ass Bumps vs. Team "We Forgot our own booking".  I mean, in a vacuum it's cool...

That made me laugh pretty hard.

I'm guessing MJF and Spears get into a fight during the match and Sammy takes the fall. Even still, it makes no sense for MJF to agree to this. Or, well, I guess maybe it makes sense if he would take the match to purposely fuck Spears over.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm guessing MJF and Spears get into a fight during the match and Sammy takes the fall. Even still, it makes no sense for MJF to agree to this. Or, well, I guess maybe it makes sense if he would take the match to purposely fuck Spears over.

Exactly that. This will bleed over into the Cody feud but it is a little strange. They should've explained it with a small vignette in the Road To video.