DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

19 minutes ago, Casey said:

Darby Allin needs to change his ring gear, if anyone. Short shorts with leggings aren't a good look.

It fits him, for now. I don’t see an issue with them. Maybe I can except skinny jeans instead, but nothing with his name on it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

It fits him, for now. I don’t see an issue with them. Maybe I can except skinny jeans instead, but nothing with his name on it.

He used to wear skinny jeans. I booked him in some of his first matches when he was still Darby Graves. Then he convinced me to book another guy he trained with who was a disrespectful POS and I never booked either of them again. I actually told them to wrestle the opener and get out of my building as soon as they were done. 

I felt bad about not booking Darby anymore, but the company he used to keep really sucked. I'm happy to see him succeeding, although success as a human lawn dart has a short shelf-life of success....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

He used to wear skinny jeans. I booked him in some of his first matches when he was still Darby Graves. Then he convinced me to book another guy he trained with who was a disrespectful POS and I never booked either of them again. I actually told them to wrestle the opener and get out of my building as soon as they were done. 

I felt bad about not booking Darby anymore, but the company he used to keep really sucked. I'm happy to see him succeeding, although success as a human lawn dart has a short shelf-life of success....

It has always struck me as odd how many straight-edgers are just complete dickheads. Look, if you're that fucking miserable have a fucking drink.

And I say that as a man who has been alcohol-free for thirty-one years.

Edited by OSJ
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

@Marty Sugar Well if his friends are skaters too, then most likely just immature disrespectful pricks. Most grow out of it though. Killing their bodies is another story.

Also, back to the skinny jeans. Maybe the jeans were too tight, and restricted his movements. So short shorts over tights is the compromise. I mean Jinco jeans are more ideal, but that fashion hasn’t made its comeback yet.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Well if his friends are skaters too, then most likely just immature disrespectful pricks. Most grow out of it though. 

Coming from Seattle, my hatred of skatepunks knows no bounds.

• Like 1

While I did try and get some friends to watch the show I don't believe they did.  And the more I think about it that might be for the best.  While there was a lot of good stuff I feel Fight for the Fallen will be a better introduction for that that have never seen AEW.  For one it won't have stuff like the Fyre parody stuff (which I liked) and considering the theme it might be a better portrayal of what AEW will be like in the future.

As for the preshow I overall liked it.  The Librarians match suffered from going too long.  To get over with a crowd that never saw them i think Leva had to go full bitchy heel and rile them up to the point they'd want Allie to demolish her.  Instead it was hard to get a solid read on her other than her being somebody that's trying to get people to read books while Peter's fawning over her.  They're going to need to figure out how to make this land or else they might be best re-tooling the gimmick and try again on the weekly show.  And I liked Nakazawa match if only because of Nakazawa's antics and the use of the Gamecube controller (and fight stick controller to boot).

The main show's been talked to death but I find it oddly ironic that a gimmicked chair meant to make the shot safer ended up causing damage anyway.  For a one-time moment it served its purpose and I don't think they'll try that again.  And the lights out match according to Meltzer was a call-back to territory shows in the area that would have a lights out match.  Apparently it was introduced in a similar manner as a way to blow off a feud.  I liked the approach to it and enjoyed the wacky shit they were doing.  And it's pretty interesting that while they cut up their backs and even feet there wasn't one drop of blood from their heads.  Which for a deathmatch is strange considering I'm so used to seeing fools have gushers due to light tubes and all that stuff.

18 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

@Marty Sugar Well if his friends are skaters too, then most likely just immature disrespectful pricks. Most grow out of it though. Killing their bodies is another story.

Not skaters, the wrestling crew he hung with. Buddy Wayne was a great wrestler but a lot of his students have grown into egotistical pricks since Buddy's passing.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

Not skaters, the wrestling crew he hung with. Buddy Wayne was a great wrestler but a lot of his students have grown into egotistical pricks since Buddy's passing.

It's funny since I too come from a background that has some similarities. Namely, collaborating on fiction with other writers. I won't say that I'm the king of that particular niche, there are a few writers that have churned out a volume that puts me to shame, but I started back in 1995 collaborating with my buddy, Edward Lee and we both hung signs up that said "Check your ego at the door!" We lived by that mantra and I still do, which might explain the long list of collaborative works. The other guy is ALWAYS worth hearing out no matter how good you think you are and I have a pretty healthy ego, let me tell you...  Wrestling would be a lot better place if that sign was hung above the dressing room doors. Wrestling is all about collaboration and the egotistical pricks generally don't have a long shelf life.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

Okay, so he hangs with not one but two groups of people that I have no use for. My budding fandom of the guy is eroding with a quickness.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

This is tremendous.
You have to watch it with your sound on.

I'm laughing my ass off. It sounded like Jimmy from South Park.

And now every time I see Darby I'm going to think of Jimmy or think of him as a Juggalo.

40 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm laughing my ass off. It sounded like Jimmy from South Park.

And now every time I see Darby I'm going to think of Jimmy or think of him as a Juggalo.

Or..

iliketurtles.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I'm sure that the Lucha Underground writers would have a lot to say about Dusty Rhodes creating the Luchasaurus gimmick, but they like the dude and wouldn't be dicks about it or anything.

Edited by Tromatagon

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

Or..

iliketurtles.jpg

Oh my.

And look, I like Darby Allin's gear. I don't mind the tights under the shorts like he's a skinnier Kevin Owens, but I think there's better ring gear that goes well with his face paint:

30 minutes ago, The Natural said:

65544031_1266813950157044_28574459725715

I just wish Kenny dressed in Akuma’s Shoto gear too. That got a huge pop live. Shame the production guys were super late on Kenny’s music, and video.

BTW, Kenny came out to his Dr. Wiley theme. Might’ve been a knockoff, but it sounded just like it.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

2 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

This is tremendous.
You have to watch it with your sound on.

Ok this has sent me down a weird rabbit hole. What's thus guys deal? There's an uncomfortable feeling of somebody being exploited there. And speaking of... have any indies booked him on there show yet?

Totally thought he was saying "This is for gigolos and chiclets" btw.

6 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I thought that might’ve been an in-joke.

I think the Bucks mentioned it in the post-match media scrums too, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Fyre Festival joke.

9 minutes ago, Casey said:

I think the Bucks mentioned it in the post-match media scrums too, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Fyre Festival joke.

I want to say that Kenny was told on Monday by his seamstress that his ring gear would be ready by Saturday and then it wasn't so he went with what he wore at Double or Nothing, but kept the hair dye and paint on his back.

Paint that amusingly left an mirror image imprint wherever he took a bump in the ring or on the ramp.