DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

Thatcher/Ki was really good. Ki was great milking the count and Thatcher was a mauler; dunno what kind of choke that was but Thatcher was turning purple. The Contra bit marred it but oh well. I imagine this is what Kaval vs. Cesaro would have looked like. 

Teddy didn't even bother making an angry face during the opening run in. I was like "please tell me that's not his valet" when I saw his cat-wrangler. Match was a collection of spots. 

Samael is fire on the mic and he's named after one of my favorite black metal bands. Throwing fire and wearing Sheik shoes is just icing on the cake. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Thatcher/Ki was really good. Ki was great milking the count and Thatcher was a mauler; dunno what kind of choke that was but Thatcher was turning purple. 

It looks like a triangle choke from a back mount, only he's using his shin as the leverage point.  I think they used to call it the Shrimp Hold, although shrimping in actual wrestling is a whole different thing.

Tim Thatcher is a better person that me.   I'd be tired of putting over MLW Day 1 guys by now.  He needs a high profile win.

• Like 1

I'm kind of bummed that Lawlor is done with MLW.  He had some really good stuff on there and giving his flippant attitude in this week's promo I thought it hinted at him staying with them.  Heck, didn't he say something like that after the last PPV?  But if he is done I know he's got tons of other indy stuff going on but wouldn't mind seeing him in AEW going against Hager.  A battle of wrestler/MMA guys would be cool even though by all rights Lawlor should wipe the floor with him in the MMA department.

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

Don't be surprised if it's a work and Lawlor comes back as a member of CONTRA.

They're going to need a really believable way to explain that considering his last interaction with them was War Chamber.  Not saying it can't happen but just having a hard time to see how.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

They're going to need a really believable way to explain that considering his last interaction with them was War Chamber.  Not saying it can't happen but just having a hard time to see how.

Spoiler

He turned on the Von Erichs and helped Fatu retain the title.

Edited by Edwin

25 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Reveal hidden contents

He turned on the Von Erichs and helped Fatu retain the title.

I see.  Well, in that case that works though I'm hoping he gives a good explanation for it anyway.]/spoiler]

I dunno what's going on with the UK TV situation. It's been on every week, but the same episode three or four times in a row. The Mexico show where the first match is Pillman & DBS jr. 

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Jacob Fatu signed a new multi-year deal with MLW.

What a mistake.

Wasn't WWE trying to signed him or was that the Uso's brother. I don't mind him sticking around for a while because once WWE does reach out he's going to be around for a while. He's a Smaller Umaga or Yoko, I can see him doing well in WWE.

4 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Wasn't WWE trying to signed him or was that the Uso's brother. I don't mind him sticking around for a while because once WWE does reach out he's going to be around for a while. He's a Smaller Umaga or Yoko, I can see him doing well in WWE.

Lance Anoa'i attended one of the WWE tryout camps. I never heard what came of it, but just assume he'll end up in WWE.

Since AEW has some working arrangement with MLW, I would love to see Contra show up in AEW to run roughshod over everybody. The act is so good and deserves to be seen by a wide audience.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Casey said:

CONTRA and the Inner Circle would be way too much at once.

I think it would be too much since both are main event heel stables.

It's not like where you had the New World Order ran rough shot over the main event while the Stud Stable terrorized the mid-card.

Then again, you have two main event heel stables (CONTRA and PD) going at each other in MLW and it seems to be working out so far.

Edited by J.T.

• Ikuro Kwan vs. MVE was a fun brawl.   Solved absolutely nothing as far as the angle goes, but Court is wisely trying to keep both stables strong pending the next PPV installment of their feud.  This match keeps both guys in the spotlight and gives them some time to showcase their skills.  Booking them as the curtain jerker was pretty smart.
  • MJF is facing his Dynasty homie, Hammerstone, in one of the Opera Cup openers.  Are we finally getting MJF's full time exodus to AEW?
  • Dynasty vs. Dominic Garrini & Douglas James was also fun. I love the HeadCheese paring of legit MMA guy Gamini and pro wres striker James. They got a lot more offense in on the Dynasty than I expected them to. Hammestone was having none of that off the apron Tornado DDT though. BUSINESS EXPOSING~!! Finish was a bit off but once again we're establishing new guys while protecting old ones.
  • Myron Reed is a total dick and I love him like family and it's cool of Court to reward the hard workers on his normal roster, but what did Teddy Hart do or say to Court to get booked to drop the belt to a mid-card like Reed and (more importantly) what did Aries do so that he wasn't booked to go over Teddy Hart at the PPV? Alarm bells are ringing!
  • So the Filthy Tom Lawlor defection to CONTRA will be due to jealousy of a VE title shot at the MLW championship?  I'm in.  Seeds are planted!
  • I'm going to hate my electrical bill for Thanksgiving.   Football on regular television and streaming MLW on my laptop.
  • King Mo was a load in TNA and I am not sure who he has compromising photos of to have swerved himself a job at MLW. I either expect him to be the shittiest face in the fed or I expect him to be the Tom Lawlor of CONTRA and totally ruin my favorite stable in pro wrestling right now.  His hiring does not bode well for my favorite little wrestling fed.
  • Yeah, I'm looking forward to the ladies division matches and not just because it's ladies.   It looks like they're going to get some women in the fed that are prepared to die for my amusement.
  • Holy shit, what a main event!  Somebody reminded Filthy Tom that he's a pro MMA fighter and somebody informed Davey Boy Smith Jr. that he is kin to a Hart or two.  The British Catch style chain wrestling clashing with worked BJJ nearly made me weep.  The tainted victory will probably leave it outside of my MoTY bubble, though.  I would've preferred a cleaner finish.
Edited by J.T.