DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

This is a really long Twitter thread but folks might want to read it

Side note - there is a tweet at the very end that explains they tagged Meltzer in the hopes of signal boosting not because of anything he said (figured I would nip that one in the bud)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Y'all are on a no strike policy until the end of the month

I think you can all keep it in your pants to not talk about Kurt Angle fucking animals until then (among so many other stupid things)

Of course - someone is going to test me.

Your call if you want to see if I am in the mode to play

My sincerest apologies for getting the ball rolling on that. 

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I think you can all keep it in your pants to not talk about Kurt Angle fucking animals until then (among so many other stupid things)

Yeah, I'll apologize, too.

I just made the Horseman joke and posted the VICE article because I thought hiring a VICE writer is a terrible idea. I didn't mean to be a jerk or anything. Just posted a sample article of the type of garbage those journalist do as it's tied to WWE signing one of their writers.

Anyway, I also apologize to anyone who I may offend around these parts or who I may have been a jerk to at some point. It's honestly not my intention and I just come here to talk pro-wres.

With that said...

The Sky Pirates are ready!

I'm almost glad Rippa re-opened the thread, since it gives me an excuse to post this.  

Wherein the WWE actually calls out their worst crowd in a decade:

I'm guessing the Cajundome is not getting another Raw in a long, looooong time. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm almost glad Rippa re-opened the thread, since it gives me an excuse to post this.  

Wherein the WWE actually calls out their worst crowd in a decade:

I'm guessing the Cajundome is not getting another Raw in a long, looooong time. 

And yet, they didn't call out that Pittsburgh crowd that got Rollins/Ziggler in a good PPV main event and chose to count down from 10 all through the match. 

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Sorry from me too.

32 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

And yet, they didn't call out that Pittsburgh crowd that got Rollins/Ziggler in a good PPV main event and chose to count down from 10 all through the match. 

Oh geez, to even be reminded of that is annoying. However, I think they would rather have a crowd making noise than a completely dead crowd.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Saw this yesterday and lost it. I hope it's true. When can we expect an official announcement?

It says press conference "next" Thursday (I read that as first week of March but they could mean two days from now)

If you ask someone who knows their wrestling what the greatest I Quit match of all time is, pretty much everyone goes for Magnum vs Tully. There's a debate as to second best. Probably Flair vs Funk, if you aren't a massive JBL or Cena fan.

But is Magnum vs Tully also the best Cage match ever? If we discount War Games as over-stipulated and Thundercage/ HiaC as cheating by letting them do shit off the apron or on the floor, thus allowing more creative freedom, is there a Cage match better than Magnum & Blanchard? Something from TNA with AJ and Samoa Joe maybe?

My vote:

If you're not watching w/ sound so you can hear the heat this match is getting you're fucking up.  This is one of the best lucha videos you'll ever see in your whole life.  The pretty boys are soap opera stars.  They used them to put over Abismo Negro as a maniac serial killer.  It's fucking tremendous and the match that got me watching lucha libre.  I lucked into seeing it on TV flipping around channels back then.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Infinit said:

My sincerest apologies for getting the ball rolling on that. 

3 hours ago, Edwin said:

Yeah, I'll apologize, too.

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Sorry from me too.

I'll apologize, too. I was a big part of that discussion snowballing. I'll even refrain from the Clerks reference I just threw out there.

23 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Trying to add something from TNA? Hahahahahahahayeahno. I would accept an asterisk vote for ROH/CZW Cage of Death though.

Earlier today, @Marty Sugar

had a go at me because I was making a joke about how WWE developmental actually impairs the wrestlers it's supposed to be improving (nb: it doesn't really. I think it's more the schedule grinding on people, having to adhere to a TV match format all of the time, and the curious way they all get so disheartened and unenthusiastic on the main roster after a while). But anyway, Curt is suggesting that two of the best wrestlers of the last decade, at their athletic peak, with plenty of experience working together, would be physically incapable of having a great match together because their pay cheques were signed by Dixie Carter. Snarkier than owt I said, that.

Honestly - if I was picking a TNA cage match anyway it would be that Joe/Angle one

However - that type of match vs. Magnum/Tully is Apples to Oranges

I am assuming this is also discounting Elimination Chambers (since HIAC's don't count)

Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker at In Your House 18: Badd Blood gets my vote as best cage match ever but that's ruled out by @AxB dammit!

My other vote would be RoH vs. CZW Cage of Death.

As for TNA cage matches:

America's Most Wanted vs. Triple X. Turning Point 2004.

AJ Styles vs. Abyss, Lockdown 2005.

Samoa Joe vs. Kurt Angle suggested by @RIPPA from Lockdown 2008.

Kurt Angle vs. Mr. Anderson,  Lockdown 2010.

AMW/Triple X and Styles/Abyss are the standouts of those.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, The Natural said:

As for TNA cage matches:

America's Most Wanted vs. Triple X. Turning Point 2004.

AJ Styles vs. Abyss, Lockdown 2005.

Samoa Joe vs. Kurt Angle suggested by @RIPPA from Lockdown 2008.

Kurt Angle vs. Mr. Anderson,  Lockdown 2010.

AMW/Triple X and Styles/Abyss are the standouts of those.

Bound For Glory 2006 had a really good LAX vs AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels cage match.

• Like 1