DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

40 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Since Punjabi Prison got mentioned I gotta bring up CHAMBER OF HORRORS~!

"Rick Steiner's got that chainsaw" has to be one of the most idiotic things ever uttered in a wrestling match ever

I don't know about idiotic, but if I see Rick Steiner with a chainsaw, I'm pissing myself out of fear. The only thing scarier than Rick with a chainsaw would be Scott Steiner with a chainsaw. Imagine Scott doing the chainsaw dance.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't know about idiotic, but if I see Rick Steiner with a chainsaw, I'm pissing myself out of fear. The only thing scarier than Rick with a chainsaw would be Scott Steiner with a chainsaw. Imagine Scott doing the chainsaw dance.

One of my favourite horror films with the memorable ending in the above.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2019 at 4:28 PM, The Natural said:

One of my favourite horror films with the memorable ending in the above.

My favorite movie of all time. I met the late, great Gunnar Hansen at the Chiller Convention in October 2010. There was practically no line for him, so I got to talk to him for a decent amount of time. My picture with him is on my FB, and he signed my TCM poster board.

• Like 8

In 1991, Scott Steiner was a spry young (albeit mentally imbalanced) fellow but Big Poppa Pump would definitely Cotton Hill himself in one fucking second doing the chainsaw dance. Since a bodybuilder in a fat suit did eventually end up playing Leatherface in the remake, I've always wondered what it would've been like if Lou Ferrigno ended up playing Leatherface in some 1981 body count sequel in response to Halloween and Friday the 13th sequels released that year. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I kinda hate the Lockdown concept, but there are a lot of really good matches spread out over those shows.

I think it would have been fine if Lockdown was condensed to 4-5 meaningful feuds instead of 7-8 matches where a handful of them have no business being in a cage. 

18 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think it would have been fine if Lockdown was condensed to 4-5 meaningful feuds instead of 7-8 matches where a handful of them have no business being in a cage. 

They did a Konnan vs Bullet Bob arm wrestling match in a cage once

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

You know, I think you can make an argument that cage matches are what TNA did best.

I kinda hate the Lockdown concept, but there are a lot of really good matches spread out over those shows.

Hey how about Sting vs. Foley from the 2008 or 9 edition? Way better than it had any right to be whatsoever given the age and mileage of both men. I haven't seen it since it aired so maybe it was trash but I remember thinking at the time geez these guys are working their asses off right now. At the time you're only ten years removed from Hogan and Piper shitting it up in the cage at Havoc around the same age, so the bar wasn't super high

• Like 2

Maybe not the greatest match ever, but it does feature one of the craziest spots ever:

Hard to believe James Storm ever looked that young.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Hey how about Sting vs. Foley from the 2008 or 9 edition? Way better than it had any right to be whatsoever given the age and mileage of both men. I haven't seen it since it aired so maybe it was trash but I remember thinking at the time geez these guys are working their asses off right now. At the time you're only ten years removed from Hogan and Piper shitting it up in the cage at Havoc around the same age, so the bar wasn't super high

Everybody likes Piper so it doesn’t get repeated but he had about the worst string of matches over like 3 years time that a guy has ever had lol! This was at a time when The Shiek and Tiger Jeet Singh were working regularly lol!

Sting had some surprising moments in TNA. He could have been to them what Funk was to ECW they had any brains.

This is getting off on a tangent because I haven’t seen these 2 matches but there was 1 where Rikishi took the Foley bump I think. It was on the tail end of the Attitude Era on a throwaway ppv and everybody predicted clusterfuck but it got rave reviews. And there was a match in WCW after I finally bailed where Kanyon took both Foley bumps I think.

• Like 1

The Rikishi one was a six man HIAC, and he landed in a truck bed full of sawdust. I'm sure it wasn't fun, but it was a lot safer than Foley.

The Kanyon one was off that triple cage thing from that stupid Ready to Rumble movie, and they did it in the same fucking building Owen Hart died in and just it was bad.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, nate said:

Didn't Lawler and Idol have some cage match one time that was supposed to be pretty good?

I would be hard pressed to decide between Blanchand/Magnum and Lawler/Idol. Both had incredible heat, psychology, story-telling and finishes. Both are in my top ten faves to re-watch.I also dig Muraco v. Snuka.

- RAF

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Maybe I'm being dense but I can't find even the first part. We're talking the 2/23/1996 match, right?

I just put in "FMW wargames" and three different ones, all in different pieces from one guy named hayabusalives and somebody else (I think) showed up. One had Onita, another had "some guy I forget the name of" (Onita again I bet), and another had Hido so you know that one is different. I wasn't about to watch the videos to see which parts connected where and if there was any skipping so I just gave up.

EDIT: They're from a different date. You can just type "FMW war games" into Google and they'll show up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That's how they always did it though dating back to the 60s and 70s with Bruno.  He'd beat the shit out of guy and then walk out the door. 

In addition, it makes more sense for this.

People mock the "you're trying to win by running away from the opponent- how cowardly is that", but on the opposite side, with the Bruno one, it's basically "The hero beats their villain to a pulp, and then when they have them where they want them, the villain begging for mercy, the hero with the chance to end their career for good with one killing blow...the hero just looks at the villain, sees them as they are, and says "You're pathetic. You're not even worth my time", and just walks away.

There are manly finishes, and there are the type of finishes that instantly make the viewer grow a beard. And a good beard, not one of those hipster beards either. 

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I just put in "FMW wargames" and three different ones, all in different pieces from one guy named hayabusalives and somebody else (I think) showed up. One had Onita, another had "some guy I forget the name of" (Onita again I bet), and another had Hido so you know that one is different. I wasn't about to watch the videos to see which parts connected where and if there was any skipping so I just gave up.

EDIT: They're from a different date. You can just type "FMW war games" into Google and they'll show up.

Cool. The dates listed were throwing me off.