DVDVR Message Board

JAMES GUNN FIRED FROM MCU

Zimbra

12 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I don't have a friendly cat. If there is such a thing. 

Get a house cat. Seriously. I think it's the big mean world that turns cats into dicks. My exotic shorthair is the funniest and daftest cat ever, always comes for cuddles and likes having a conversation with me

Okay, here's the list, the whole gang runs from people outside; once a person is in the house and we show no signs of alarm said person has passed inspection and behavior  changes thusly (ages in brackets):

Jorkens (14): Our last Seattle cat, once you've passed the test and been determined to not pose a threat, she's all over you looking for attention. Loves to be petted but does not like being held. She's also given to "love bites" which are just gentle nips and quite harmless unless you happen to be sleeping and she goes for the nose! 

Sumuru (10): Daddy's little psycho, discussed elsewhere. 

Jackpot (4): The big fella, over 20 lbs. and seemingly all muscle. Kathy's cat, he follows her around like a dog. Has never learned to meow, instead he makes this weird squeaking noise, which is hilarious coming from such a big cat. He will rub on you as a seal of approval.

Seven (4): Jackpot's brother and almost as big, they fought once to determine leadership and I had to use a broom and water bottle to break it up. Jackpot was getting the best of it to the point that Seven apparently acknowledged Jackpot as the leader. When it's nice outside he pretty much ignores humans other than at dinner time. Once the weather turns he's the friendliest cat imaginable and will sleep on your head if given the opportunity to do so.

Cersei (3): Very shy around anyone who isn't me. Once she sees me engaging in conversation with someone she'll slowly approach them in search of attention. Friendly and skittish at the same time.

Waldo (3): The talker; once he comes inside he'll visit every room in the house and meow to announce his presence (just in case someone missed his entrance).  Very friendly and a lap cat if you're sitting in either the easy chair or one of the office chairs, those are considered to be his, but he doesn't mind sharing. 

Tyrion & Varys (Almost 3): Cersei's only litter before we were able to get her fixed. B & W tuxedo cats and as different as night and day. Both are very small cats like their mom and the cat from three houses down who I'm pretty sure was daddy. Varys hangs with Jackpot & Seven when outdoors, inside he's friendly, but you have to initiate contact.  Tyrion is totally gentle and loves to be held and petted, when the weather turns he can always be found sleeping at the foot of the bed. Our only cat who hasn't killed a bird, lizard, or prairie dog; like the late, lamented Dr. Nikola; I don't believe he's ever harmed another living creature. Totally cool and friendly once you've come indoors.

Sansa the Screamer: (just over 2): Just like her mother (who we had to re-home as she constantly attacked Sumuru and Cersei). Sansa doesn't meow, she lets out a blood-curdling scream for reasons apparently only known to her. Again, friendly once you've passed inspection; s you may be a source of attention and/or treats. 

Sandor: Sansa's brother, he's the baby and he knows it... Insists on having his tummy rubbed before any other actions take place we haven't had a chance to get him fixed yet, but he's so mellow we've entertained the idea of not having the procedure done; however. with a male cat it's only a matter of time before they get mean and start spraying to mark their territory. Sandor acted up once to try and be in charge, Jackpot (otherwise known as "The Iron Paw") quickly put a stop to that nonsense. Sandor's the only cat who actually enjoys going for rides in the car as long as the journey is forty minutes or less. Just like clockwork, once we hit forty minutes he starts getting cranky and complains loudly, other than that, he's just the sweetest cat imaginable. Sooner or later I'll convince Kathy to upload  all the  cat pictures...                    

On 7/26/2018 at 9:47 AM, OSJ said:

@lurkerbelow: If you are truly weary and sick of life, get some help, it ain't all that bad. 

Also, don't be dissing Jim Jeffries and GOT, or you shall know my wrath! ? 

Thank you for replying. As for GoT, I love the books, but the television show relies on nudity and extreme violence to keep the short attention spans of its viewer base. As for Jim Jefferies, I used to love him when he was an equal-opportunity offender, but he sold out when he got his Comedy Central show. Now he's basically a Koala Colbert following the television industry's previously mentioned drive to be an echo chamber. I am disappointed in him. Equal-opportunity offenders are getting rare these days, as even Bill Burr has become toothless since getting married. At least there's still Doug Stanhope and Anthony Cumia.

As for life, I am getting help. I am seeing a great therapist now, and am undergoing the process of switching psychiatrists. The internet offers a pseudo-anonymity wherein we think we have privacy (all the while the NSA and Google know everything we've ever said or done online), so I don't know how much I should reveal about myself here, but if the previous heroin references were not enough of a clue, I am a recovering opiate addict. (Not heroin, interestingly enough, since I have a phobia about needles and the idea of sticking one into my vein in order to feel good seems madly paradoxical; but I was addicted to a form of opiates that were, and still are, legally possible to buy online, on such sites as Amazon - I won't get into details, as no one ever needs to do opiates, especially the kind I took, unless their life is so ruined that the added effect of an opiate addiction would be a drop in the bucket of harm and suffering in the first place, and I don't want introducing new people into the world of opiates hanging on my concious, so this is all I will say about it and leave it at that.) I was saved from my opiate addiction through a supplement known as mitrgyna speciosa, aka Kratom, which, of course, both the FDA and DEA are both trying to ban since, aside from being as safe as coffee,  it saves many (and has the potential to save much, much more) from opiate addiction and/or excruciating pain, and it's also very inexpensive, and so it threatens Big Pharma and the kickback money politicians get from them. Plus it being made illegal offers the potential to put even more harmless citizens into for-profit prisons, and helps the economy by employing entirely useless cops, prosecutors, and DEA agents, and so Kratom users are facing a very uphill battle in keeping it legal. But, thanks for the kind words.

On 7/26/2018 at 8:28 AM, Technico Support said:

@lurkerbelow

First of all, welcome, and thanks for posting.

The right's "Hollywood is full of liberals pushing the liberal agenda down our throats" is so tired and false.  A great deal of what you generalize as "Hollywood" is full of fake liberals who are racist and sexist as fuck.  If Hollywood was some shining beacon of happy liberalism and all that liberalism entails, why are so many major players going down in the me too movement?  Why are there protests every year of the Oscars being so white?  Why does a guy like Cliff Curtis get cast in roles for at least five different races?  Institutional racism is a thing (the "sin" of being born a white male, as you say) and, with Hollywood essentially being run by white guys, bet your sweet ass it's not as liberal and inclusive as you assume.  Liberalism in Hollywood is like cutting down the woods to build condos, then "offsetting" it by planting a tree somewhere.  These guys might support "liberal" causes, but that's just to assuage their guilt from being awful people in their everyday lives.  Hollywood execs supporting liberal causes is like Ted Cruz going duck hunting.  It plays well to the base.

Right wingers take anything that challenges the straight white male status quo as a personal attack, like holy shit, how dare anyone cast a woman or POC when a straight white guy could fill the role?  Look at Marvel as an example.  How can you complain about forced diversity, "blackwashing," etc when the cornerstone of the multi billion dollar Marvel Cinematic Universe is three white guys?  But a lesser Thor character the general public has never heard of gets a black actor cast in the role and suddenly it's indicative of Hollywood pushing an evil liberal agenda.  Releasing Black Panther after the previous SEVENTEEN MCU films centered around white guys is somehow indicative of that damn liberal elite doing the SJW thing again.

TL;DR there's no liberal agenda.  Hollywood is run by the studio gangsta equivalent of liberals.  Butthurt righties see every tiny stride toward making things 1% less white and male as a personal attack and indicative of some bogeyman Rush Limbaugh told them about.  Trust me, friend, the only color Hollywood cares about is green.

Also: there's a cartoon I saw online where there's a global warming summit and one scientist is raising his hand, saying, "WAIT!  What if this is all a hoax and we make the environment and the world better for nothing???"  Even if there were a "liberal agenda" in film and TV, who cares?  Is it so bad that people who have been criminally misrepresented forever can get more work today than before?   Who is being harmed in this scenario?  This is why people who decry "PC culture" are labelled racists and sexists.  Because there's no reason, except hate, to be against inclusiveness movements.

Thank you, as well, for replying. I, personally, am all over the map on the left/right spectrum, as I believe in global warming, single-payer healthcare, drug legalization, and a social safety net, among other things, and despite my last post, I would not consider myself a member of the alt-right.

As for race and the presence on actors and actresses of color, it is not their being included in movies and television shows I have a problem with - it is how they are portrayed that I dislike. Yes, there should be more non-white characters (and not just black, like it currently is in Hollywood). But, the main problem with special interests that demand an ever-increasing amount of representation for their respective groups in Hollywood, is that they only want a certain *type* of representation: that being, solely positive. How many movies with black heroes and white villains have you seen, compared to the reverse? How many lesbian villains do we have (outside of 1960s vampire movies)? About the only "ethnic" characters that are portrayed as criminals are the occasional Hispanic characters. I realize that we have a diverse society and that should be reflected, but onscreen depictions should be realistic as well, and special interests demand that every portrayal of their constituents be an "uplifting" one. That has resulted in a Hollywood that churns out movies and TV shows by the dozens with black/female/occasionally South Asian/the rare Hispanic/LGBTQ+ good guys fighting villains (and street criminals in downtown NYC or LA) that are invariably white and male. You mention the MCU movies, but outside of those (or other comic-related movies), who are the action heroes? Dwayne Johnson, Denzel Washington, Will Smith, and a bunch of women. And in the vast majority of those movies, the villains are always white actors that were seemingly chosen based on how WASPy they looked (extra points if they have blond hair). Who are the actors playing the comedy relief roles? White males (and Kevin Hart). I believe actors and actresses of color should be represented, but their has to be a fairness and a balance in the way they are depicted. And there just isn't. That is what I object to.

7 minutes ago, lurkerbelow said:

who are the action heroes? Dwayne Johnson, Denzel Washington, Will Smith, and a bunch of women.

Keanu Reeves has been back the last few years with one of the better new action franchises around. Tom Cruise says hello. Jason Statham is going to being sharing top billing with Rocky in the Hobbs movie. Speaking of Hobbs, have you ever heard of this guy named Vin Diesel?

Who are the actors playing the comedy relief roles? White males (and Kevin Hart). 

Let's see what the most profitable franchise on the planet thinks of this...

tenor.gif?itemid=5704374 

tumblr_oll67ltcSJ1tajor5o5_500.gif

dec-09-2016-14-22-15gif.gif 

You're painting in very broad strokes with your media criticism. I'll leave it there. 

• Like 2

I have four:

(15) Jack-He's an overeater, he'll vacuum up pany spart amount of food left over, which can be a problem, the other cats will leave. As loving as the day is long, he's a orange tabby that will you let you pet him all day long if you want to. He also lays with the younger ones, if they want to.

(14) Billy-His parents were feral cats that a lady trapped and fixed and adopted out. When he was younger he would lose it every night, almost like clock work. He is not a s cuddly, but is very loving in his own way. The primary mouser/guard for the yard(and the field portion in the back yard. Black and white, but mixed.

(1ish?) Samantha-adopted her a few months ago from the shelter. Seal point colors, kind of looks a a Birman or himalayan, but not a purebreed. Needs a bunch of socialization, but she's sweet.

5 months or so-Ginger, and she's a wild child, kind of like Jack, actually. They get along great, actually. Her and Sam are starting to be great friends, which is why we got her actually. Poor sam was not laying with the boys at all, and she needed a friend.

42 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Keanu Reeves has been back the last few years with one of the better new action franchises around. Tom Cruise says hello. Jason Statham is going to being sharing top billing with Rocky in the Hobbs movie. Speaking of Hobbs, have you ever heard of this guy named Vin Diesel?

You're painting in very broad strokes with your media criticism. I'll leave it there. 

Keanu Reeves is multiracial. So Is Vin Diesel. Tom Cruise is box office poison (at least here in America), and the only reason he hasn't been kicked out of the Eyes Wide Shut parties is because he is still a draw overseas, especially in Asia. He still has a very short amount of time before he's done completely, though. I'll give you Statham, although he is mostly a B-list actor at best, and Stallone is even more washed-up than Jean Claude Van Damme.

But, I am painting in very broad strokes. I admit that. I suffer from Borderline Personality Disorder, which leads to (please forgive what I just realized makes a very stupid pun) "black-and-white thinking". Nuances are sometimes lost on me. And I accept your point about the Hispanic and Asian comedy relief actors.

I have my two cats and two dogs. For my cats there's

1) Marquis. He's my wife's. He's a sweet boy, bit months into when I was dating my wife, he nearly died. Her couldn't help himself from eating hair ties. He ate an entire package of hair ties overnight and the were lodged in his esophagus. That also pinched off blood flow to his brain causing permanent brain damaged. Surgery was performed to get the hair ties out and he was at the vet for awhile. It's been years since then and he's been a weirdo ever since. Still sweet, but not the same.

2) Rousey. Yeah yeah. I'm sure Betsy loves that name. Anyway, she was our rescue cat. Got her from pet refuge. Ronda was still champ at the time and my wife and I both liked her so we named the car Rousey. And then Ronda lost her title. The cat is a total princess though. You have to open doors for her, put her on the bed, etc. We call her Peach or Princess Peach more than Rousey, but it's Rousey that she responds to.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Victator said:

You know when the Marvel Movies have stopped being hot, I think Gunn being fired will be seen as the beginning of the end. I think is the first clear mistake they have made.  

They've got X-Men coming. They're fine. The Edgar Wright thing was their first clear mistake and that went better than fine.

• Like 1

And then they got Taika to direct Thor, which was maybe a more brilliant move than getting Gunn to direct GotG or the Russos to do the heavy lifting with multiple movies.

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

They've got X-Men coming. They're fine. The Edgar Wright thing was their first clear mistake and that went better than fine.

I'm not sure that will be an asset creatively. More items makes it more difficult to juggle. 

I feel like the Ant Man deal was more a mistake on Wright's end if he really did get pissy over using Falcon.

7 hours ago, Matt D said:

Also Patty Jenkins who was the original director for Thor 2. Her firing is what soured Natalie Portman on Marvel.

On 7/26/2018 at 2:10 PM, Contentious C said:

I also own an absurdly friendly cat, but apparently only when I'm around. When I'm not in attendance, she's anxious around other people.  

When I'm there, she will literally choke herself purring so hard at any hand that will pet her. When my mother and stepfather visited for my PhD defense, there were twice-daily sessions of petting Squeaker until she got too close to "full-choke" (typically assessed similar to the Muta gusher scale - "oops, she's up to about a 0.8 choke, we better slow it down"). 

Somehow I missed this post. We thought the late Medea was unique in what we called "over-purring". She was an odd one in many respects, we got her and her brother, Goon from one of Kathy's clients who warned us that they were part Siamese, and would likely have quirky behavior. Siamese cats are known for being consistent talkers and are often weird around people. Medea would not let anyone hold except Kathy, but if you came into the room where she was she would yowl until you petted her for what she felt was  an appropriate length of time, (usually until she "over-purred" and started choking which would tend to freak people out.

Goon (poor little guy was hit by a car when he was just a little over two), was a whole different story, he liked being picked up and petted and would come when you called him making this weird bleating noise that sounded a lot more like a sheep than a cat. Like I said, he liked being picked up, but woe if you tried to carry him anywhere. He would attack like a demon from hell. I recall one occasion when I was going upstairs to take a nap and I figured I'd take Goon with me as he often jumped up on the bed if one or both of us was there. Kathy shouted out a warning "Don't try and take him upstairs, you know how he is!" I just laughed and said something about being "the Cat Whisperer", picked up Goon and two steps toward the stairs when he went fill-blown psycho on me. It's a good thing that I was wearing my glasses as he went straight for the eyes, I did get nasty scratches on my cheek (not deep enough for permanent scarring, but it hurt like hell.

We didn't get these two until they were almost six  months old and there were little kids (7 and 9), and both cats acted so weird, I sort of wonder if perhaps the kids tormented them as kittens.

3 hours ago, Victator said:

I'm not sure that will be an asset creatively. More items makes it more difficult to juggle. 

I feel like the Ant Man deal was more a mistake on Wright's end if he really did get pissy over using Falcon.

Hank Pym is the most abused character in the MCU, The guy has been around nearly as long Reed Richards & Co. and Bruce Banner, and what do we get on-screen? Michael Douglas puttering around lecturing folks on the behavior of ants. 

Other things I've found irritating about the Marvel Universe on film: 

The portrayal of Thor as a wise-cracking super-hero. Look, not everyone is Deadpool or Spider-man. And no, don't suggest that such stuff is coming from the Don Blake personality. Don Blake has all the personality of a zucchini.

They proved that they can do a great movie with a black lead (Black Panther), must the Falcon be portrayed as an idiot to balance things out for the old white guys writing the checks?

Why is Hawkeye even in the cinematic version of the Avengers? Clint Barton's only purpose since the mid-1960s was to have comedic exchanges with the super-rigid Steve Rogers, or to found or join other teams where his vast experience makes him a natural leader. C'mon the guy is using a bow and arrow in the 21st century. I seem to remember what most have been the most damning cover of all, four Avengers are squaring off against four reasonably powerful super villains and IIRC, the other Avengers are Thor, Vision, and Iron Man. My very first thought was "one of these things is not like the others, one of these things does not belong." I complain about Thor making with the funny stuff too often to fit the character and we have exactly the reverse of that problem with Hawkeye. He's supposed to be the guy making with the wise cracks and not only does he not do this, he barely has any dialogue at all!

Yes, he's probably appeared in more issues of the Avengers save for Captain America; but we're talking two very different mediums here, if you're not going to have Hawkeye using gimmick arrows, acting as a foil to Cap, and making with the funny stuff, what purpose does he serve?

On 7/27/2018 at 1:09 PM, lurkerbelow said:

Thank you for replying. As for GoT, I love the books, but the television show relies on nudity and extreme violence to keep the short attention spans of its viewer base. As for Jim Jefferies, I used to love him when he was an equal-opportunity offender, but he sold out when he got his Comedy Central show. Now he's basically a Koala Colbert following the television industry's previously mentioned drive to be an echo chamber. I am disappointed in him. Equal-opportunity offenders are getting rare these days, as even Bill Burr has become toothless since getting married. At least there's still Doug Stanhope and Anthony Cumia.

As for life, I am getting help. I am seeing a great therapist now, and am undergoing the process of switching psychiatrists. The internet offers a pseudo-anonymity wherein we think we have privacy (all the while the NSA and Google know everything we've ever said or done online), so I don't know how much I should reveal about myself here, but if the previous heroin references were not enough of a clue, I am a recovering opiate addict. (Not heroin, interestingly enough, since I have a phobia about needles and the idea of sticking one into my vein in order to feel good seems madly paradoxical; but I was addicted to a form of opiates that were, and still are, legally possible to buy online, on such sites as Amazon - I won't get into details, as no one ever needs to do opiates, especially the kind I took, unless their life is so ruined that the added effect of an opiate addiction would be a drop in the bucket of harm and suffering in the first place, and I don't want introducing new people into the world of opiates hanging on my concious, so this is all I will say about it and leave it at that.) I was saved from my opiate addiction through a supplement known as mitrgyna speciosa, aka Kratom, which, of course, both the FDA and DEA are both trying to ban since, aside from being as safe as coffee,  it saves many (and has the potential to save much, much more) from opiate addiction and/or excruciating pain, and it's also very inexpensive, and so it threatens Big Pharma and the kickback money politicians get from them. Plus it being made illegal offers the potential to put even more harmless citizens into for-profit prisons, and helps the economy by employing entirely useless cops, prosecutors, and DEA agents, and so Kratom users are facing a very uphill battle in keeping it legal. But, thanks for the kind words.

Thank you, as well, for replying. I, personally, am all over the map on the left/right spectrum, as I believe in global warming, single-payer healthcare, drug legalization, and a social safety net, among other things, and despite my last post, I would not consider myself a member of the alt-right.

As for race and the presence on actors and actresses of color, it is not their being included in movies and television shows I have a problem with - it is how they are portrayed that I dislike. Yes, there should be more non-white characters (and not just black, like it currently is in Hollywood). But, the main problem with special interests that demand an ever-increasing amount of representation for their respective groups in Hollywood, is that they only want a certain *type* of representation: that being, solely positive. How many movies with black heroes and white villains have you seen, compared to the reverse? How many lesbian villains do we have (outside of 1960s vampire movies)? About the only "ethnic" characters that are portrayed as criminals are the occasional Hispanic characters. I realize that we have a diverse society and that should be reflected, but onscreen depictions should be realistic as well, and special interests demand that every portrayal of their constituents be an "uplifting" one. That has resulted in a Hollywood that churns out movies and TV shows by the dozens with black/female/occasionally South Asian/the rare Hispanic/LGBTQ+ good guys fighting villains (and street criminals in downtown NYC or LA) that are invariably white and male. You mention the MCU movies, but outside of those (or other comic-related movies), who are the action heroes? Dwayne Johnson, Denzel Washington, Will Smith, and a bunch of women. And in the vast majority of those movies, the villains are always white actors that were seemingly chosen based on how WASPy they looked (extra points if they have blond hair). Who are the actors playing the comedy relief roles? White males (and Kevin Hart). I believe actors and actresses of color should be represented, but their has to be a fairness and a balance in the way they are depicted. And there just isn't. That is what I object to.

Well, some interesting thoughts, please don't that I am being dismissive, but it's getting past my bedtime, one of the cats apparently thought that the appropriate way to celebrate our 34th anniversary was to climb all over us at 5:30AM...

I haven't had much of a chance to watch Jim Jeffries on TV of late, bit he's always been pretty solidly left of center. Someone else I like a great deal is Russell Brand, who is generally courteous and respectful to all up until such a time as a person reveals that they are an asshole and then the gloves come off, but he's so capable of ripping someone a new and seemingly being so damned nice about it that only his target is going to be offended.

As far as talk about movies, you are aware that there are places other than Hollywood that make films? Just as there are other stores than Wal-Mart. Unless it's 3AM or thereabouts, you're not going to find me shopping at Wal-Mart, I place a certain value on my time and long lines and incompetent service is not going to retain me as a customer no matter what the so-called "savings" appear to be. 

"No one ever needs to do opiates?" Tell that to my back and what little is left of my knees. It's certainly not my choice to take 120 mgs of oxycodone a day, but I do rather enjoy getting out of bed and being able to walk. I've been doing this walking thing as long as I can remember, and I sort of enjoy being able to do it. "But wait!," he says, "Why not just get back and knee surgery?"  Well, you see that's a bit more easily said than done. X-rays and MRIs on my back have been "inconclusive" as to where the problem really lies, it could be any of five vertebrae that could be the problem or it could be more than one that is problem spot. Basically, after some expensive tests (which I only had to pay 20% of, but it was still pricey), the best that modern medical science can suggest is to cut open my back and poke around to see what they can see. No thank you. Oh, there's also the balancing act that has to be maintained because of my COPD. I'm basically an anesthesiologist's worst nightmare as not enough happy gas I wake up screaming and sue the hospital in general and the anesthesiologist in particular for every dime I can get; whereas too much happy gas and I go into cardiac arrest  and my wife sues. 

My knees totally lack cartilage on both sides, again the problem with knee replacement surgery is that it's a long procedure and my chances of surviving the procedure are poor/fair. If I have to take four little pills as directed by my doctor for the rest of my life, well, that's my own little deal with the devil. And before you run in banging on the NA version of the Big Book, I'll mention a couple of other facts: #1. Prescription medicine should always be taken as directed, and if you feel for any reason that you might have a problem with doing so, tell your healthcare provider and see what alternates may be available,  in my case we went through everything possible until we hit on the right solution. I've had the dosage increased once in a ten-year period and actually reduced it the last two months with unsatisfactory results. Saw the doc Tuesday and he suggested as a new regimen that I start walking for thirty minutes after meals. Yeah, I can see the logic there, burn off the calories that you just consumed. I asked , "What about my knees?" He flipped through his notes on me and said "We'd better go back to the 30mgs, you weren't having pain then after walking were you?"  "No, not at all." So I left with a new scrip dated for yesterday, so what did I do in interim? Well obviously I tried the 30 minute walk on the lower dose and boy oh boy did I feel every step upon returning to the house. Just a final thought on this, I celebrated 30 years of sobriety in June and have been on the oxy for a little over a decade. I can easily see how some people could/would get addicted to it. I'm equally sure that after 10 years of daily use, if I were to stop suddenly, the result would be very unpleasant. It all comes down to whatever gets you through the night...

Oh, and without playing pile-on (which really isn't my thing), do you know who the film industry's highest grossing actor was last year?  I'll give you a couple of hints: (You should easily get this , but just in case I'll give you a couple of clues):

#1. He is of African and Pacific Islander ancestry.

#2. He used to work for WWE

Please state your answer in  the form of a question or Alex Trebeck will kick you in teh balls.

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

This version of Hawkeye is very heavily based on the ultimate universe and not the main Marvel Universe

I know, and isn't it a damn shame? Clint Barton after his face turn in Avengers #16 still retained a lot of the lovable rogue persona. My problem with Ultimates was my problem with Thor in reverse, just as no one has to be cracking wise all the time, (particularly an Asgardian "god" who has never done so before), not everyone has to be grim and dour all the  time. I would submit that in any group of five or six individuals called together for a specific purpose, beyond that specific purpose we're going to see at least three different personality types, unless the group has been selected based on the commonality of their personality types.