DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

I'd urge anyone who's a fan of The Room to get The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero. The most astonishing thing is how it's clear that, as dreadful as the film was, it could have been so much worse if saner people hadn't talked Wiseau around on certain things, like Wiseau's original plan to have a vampire subplot in the movie. The original dialogue was apparently even more incoherent too.

Watching 'Addams Family Values', I was thinking to myself "I wonder why Hollywood hasn't bothered to do a big budget remake of this again?!"  I mean, it will fail, but that's only because there's no way they could hit as many casting homeruns as the Addams franchise.  Anjelica Huston as Morticia, that's a home run.  Raul Julia as Gomez, that's a home run. Christopher Llyod as Fester, that's a home run.  And Christina Ricci as Wednesday is a Grand Slam.  You could not recast that movie any better.

• Like 1

Holy fucking shit.  Showgirls.  I haven't watched this since I was a teen lying on my sister's living room floor while my dad turned this on and insisted on watching it all the way through even though I was trying to sleep.  Christmas vacation memories!

My wife and I are debating as to whether this is intentionally bad or not.  She says yes.  I say no.  It's hard to tell.  I can't believe that they'd intentionally make it this bad.  There's some serious badness all around.  I'd rather think this was the result of genuine Hollywood excess out of control than someone's contrived commentary on the state of the movies.

Watching 'Addams Family Values', I was thinking to myself "I wonder why Hollywood hasn't bothered to do a big budget remake of this again?!"  I mean, it will fail, but that's only because there's no way they could hit as many casting homeruns as the Addams franchise.  Anjelica Huston as Morticia, that's a home run.  Raul Julia as Gomez, that's a home run. Christopher Llyod as Fester, that's a home run.  And Christina Ricci as Wednesday is a Grand Slam.  You could not recast that movie any better.

Ron as Fester. You've forgotten your roots lad.

Oh, and, yeah, South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut is a masterpiece.

The opening set piece, followed by the ticket booth guy hitting that deadpan "NO!" is one of the biggest laugh out loud moments I've ever had. To the point I had to pause the movie and take a minute to collect myself.

The whole film is great. Blame Canada is the highlight.

The supporting cast is also a murderer's row: Joan Cusack, Peter MacNicol, Christine Baranski, David Krumholz, and Carol Kane.  

Poor Elizabeth Berkley.  The Miley Cyrus of our generation.  She felt she had to go full skeezer to throw off the chains of Saved By The Bell.

Miley has Hannah Montana money to fall back on and seems to have some awareness of what she's doing.  Berkley didn't have the luxury of either, sadly.

The best thing they did was giving Christina Ricci her own story to carry instead of shoehorning every character together like they did in the weaker first one.

This one has been sitting in my Netflix Instant Queue for a long time.  Finally decided to give it a look last night, which brings us to...

Dear Zachary - This is an absolutely gut-wrenching documentary.  It is basically a video "letter" from the filmmaker/narrator to the newborn son of his recently-murdered friend.  The kid was born 5 months after his father's murder so he never got to meet him.  Complicating things?  The killer was the kid's mom.  The director learns that there was a major part of his slain friend's life (photography) that he was unaware-of so he decides to drive from California to Newfoundland (where the guy's parents live), interviewing people along the way to learn as much as possible about this friend he'd known for 20+ years.  What emerges is that this guy was a great guy.  No, a GREAT guy.  As in he had something like 7 friends that wanted him to be best man at their weddings.  Intermixed with that journey are updates on the case against the mom.  The murder took place in the US but she'd fled to Newfoundland with their son.  We get updates on the maddeningly-slow extradition process.  The guy's parents moved to Newfoundland to be near their grandson and to push for custody.  They are saints of the highest order, acting normal around this psycho who killed their son, jumping through all of her hoops, whatever it takes to meet with their grandson.  As a movie, all of this works really well.  The story is engaging, heartbreaking, and well-told.  And here's where I spoilerize the rest of my review...

2/3 of the way through, we learn that the boy's mother has disappeared with him and they are both found dead as a result of a murder-suicide.  This is just devastating to hear.  The anger from the grandparents just leaps off the screan and you're right there with them.  The court system in Canada completely failed - over and over and over - in this case and a little boy died as a result.  However, as a movie...I found this part to be just a little dishonest.  When actually making the movie, the director already knew that the little boy was dead so the entire construct, that of a letter to the boy, is false.  It's almost like he used the boy's death as a "twist" and it comes across a little exploitive.  The rest of the movie covers the parents becoming activists and the ensuing investigation into the failures that led to little Zachary's death.  Seriously, these parents are just...incredible. 

Anyway, this movie is great.  Highly, highly recommended.  9/10.

The best thing they did was giving Christina Ricci her own story to carry instead of shoehorning every character together like they did in the weaker first one.

I agree entirely.  Joan Cusack was pretty terrific in the sequel, as well, I must say.

Tabe, the part in the spoiler was like a nightmare to me, the way things completely go off the rails.  I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it.

Right before the spoilered part, I had just paused the movie and was telling my wife how great it was and that she needed to watch it when she gets time.  And then, boom, that spoilered part and, well, I'm hoping she forgets that I recommended it.

They've already tried, twice over. 

Oh I know, and they were dreadful, but that's why I specified Big-Budget remake.  You know, something like Tim Burton directing Johnny Depp as Gomez, Helena Bonham Carter as Morticia, Shaquille O'Neal as Lurch, Ed Asner as Fester, Chloe Grace Moretz as Wednesday and Manny from 'Modern Family' as Pugsley.  Actually, that doesn't sound THAT bad.

I can't see 50 Shades of Grey flopping. Even if it presumably gets an NC17 rating. It's got too much of an audience. Yeah, it'll be awful, but the readers who rushed out to get the book weren't bothered about quality then, so why would it be an issue with the film? 

I assume Charlie Hunnan dropped out because he didn't think he could say a line like "Anastasia, your ass belongs to me" with a straight face.