DVDVR Message Board

2018 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

25 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't know if Philly has the assets. Lakers supposedly said Kuz is "untouchable" but even a package that is headlined by Ingram is better than a Fultz/Covington package from Philly.  We'll see.

Don't underestimate the Miami 2021 number 1. 

Boogie's health is such a question mark.

Kwahi's health too, which it seems to be still up in the air weirdly. Both risks but gambling is going to be legal in California soon.

Also I think Kevin Love is capable but I think his injury history says relying on him to be the number one will catch up with you.

What are some other great drama cases and nutcase out there that will help make the LeBron Lakers the greatest ABA team of all time?

Thinking of Nate Robinson, Tony Allen, Nick Young, that rookie on he Celtics already missing flights...

25 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't know if Philly has the assets. Lakers supposedly said Kuz is "untouchable" but even a package that is headlined by Ingram is better than a Fultz/Covington package from Philly.  We'll see.

I'm not a fan of some of these signings but I am absolutely on board with them keeping who they got.  Ingram, Randle, Kuzma are their future.  Hell, even LeBron is a gamble, he's passing his prime.  Trade nobody.  Make the Spurs blink. And after two decades, they are about to.

4 hours ago, The Comedian said:

The NBA's "Gotta make the Lakers relevant again!!!" machine went into action I see...

I mean, it's not as blatantly bad as Stern going all, "Jordan's gone again? SHAQ, GET YOUR ASS TO LA NOW! AND OH NO CHARLOTTE, YOU AIN'T KEEPIN' KOBE...", but it's still fucking obnoxious how much worth the NBA puts in trying to make sure that fucking team never goes a decade without being a title contender...

Kobe and Charlotte had nothing to do with Stern. It was all Kobe.

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

What are some other great drama cases and nutcase out there that will help make the LeBron Lakers the greatest ABA team of all time?

Thinking of Nate Robinson, Tony Allen, Nick Young, that rookie on he Celtics already missing flights...

Nate Robinson is busy getting into fights at the end of Big3 games, sir.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Nate Robinson is busy getting into fights at the end of Big3 games, sir.

That makes him the PERFECT signing for this team. They really need to scout Big3 games more and Mountain West conference dudes less.

Russ/Roberson/PG13/Grant/Adams would be a fantastic defensive lineup. If they can convince Melo to play twenty minutes, tops, off the bench, maybe he's more useful against backups he can still score on.

But Christ Almighty that bench is dreadfully thin after whoever ends up not starting at the four. Especially for a team that's combined payroll and tax bill is going to be just under a quarter of a billion.

OKC got Nerlens on a 2 year minimum deal so that should help with the depth.  I have to assume Melo is gone one way or the other to get them out from their apocalyptic tax bill.

I assume Ilyasova to Milwaukee means that Parker isn't getting anything more than his qualifying offer from the Bucks.  I wouldn't be surprised if he took it and tried the market next year since no one wants to spend this summer.

If they buy Melo out, does that get him off the cap sheet?

Noel in Dallas seemed like a perfect fit and turned into a disaster. But he's still only 24, and athletic as hell. Why not see what happens throwing him into the PnR with Russ and letting him run the rim. They can throw some scarily athletic lineups on the court and try to just run other teams into the ground as well.

It doesn't remove him from the cap sheet, but it spreads out the damage over a few years and lowers their tax bill significantly.

The Noel thing is just weird and makes we wonder what kind of weird attitude/locker room issues he has.

7 hours ago, hammerva said:

Okay I take everything I said last night.  Lavar Ball might be the least of their issue ?.    This team has all the makings of a great 30 for 30 for all the wrong reasons.  

I, for one, welcome our new Los Angeles basketball overloards.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

It doesn't remove him from the cap sheet, but it spreads out the damage over a few years and lowers their tax bill significantly.

The Noel thing is just weird and makes we wonder what kind of weird attitude/locker room issues he has.

He turned down 4/$70 last summer.

I do like that he got the player option for year two on this. If he bounces back, they expect a lot more cap space around the league this year.

This article lays out the Melo issue really well: https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/7/1/17522596/carmelo-anthony-stretch-provision-thunder-salary-cap-paul-george-rumors

Basically they save 91 million in tax if they waive him and stretch it over three years. 

The downside is that put puts 9 million in dead salary on your books for the next 3 years which makes it difficult to add help and be competitive during Paul George's contract. So the question is do they save 91 million and put it all on Russ/PG13 for maybe 3 years OR do you eat the 91 million, subsidize your enemies, and let Melo play out his contract so you can be free to get in on some agents next year?

Maybe the Sacramento Kings will trade for him

• Like 1
  • Haha 1