Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
RIPPA

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

Recommended Posts

Night 1 of World Tag League was amazing! Lucha Bros. vs. Hashimoto & Kamitani, Ringkampf vs. CCK and Aussie Open vs. Cobb & Angelico all delivered big-time! Wasn't sure before, but Jeff Cobb & Angelico work very well as a Tag Team. The David Starr vs. Jurn Simmons Hair vs. Hair Match was brutal and nuts as well. Only Meiko Satomura vs. Toni Storm was a bit disappointing I thought. On to Night 2.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, The Z said:

Only Meiko Satomura vs. Toni Storm was a bit disappointing I thought.

Satomura vs. Millie McKenzie and Satomura vs. Lufisto from today's Femmes Fatales tournament were awesome, though. Whole tournament was pretty damn good.

Jesus Christ, Ringkampf vs. Lucha Bros. was so fucking good. WALTER and Penta need to have a singles match down the line as well. And this was after CCK and Okami had already torn down the house before and then Bobby Gunns and Ilja Dragunov tore it down again in the main event. There were duelling Gunns/Dragunov chants during the entire duration of the match without a single second of break and the match was at least 20 minutes long. I have never heard a crowd like this before. It was INSANE.

I have no idea what went down in Australia today, but I doubt it was close to even being half as good as what I have witnessed today.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was all the attention on the WWE show in town obviously, but in all honesty the MCW show in Melbourne the night before was one of the best indy shows of the year. He copped a lot of a shit for his one off appearance at Wrestlekingdom earlier this year, but Gino Gambino is a fantastic pro wrestler, his title defense against Robbie Eagles had the hottest crowd of any indy show i've seen anywhere this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weirdly or Fittingly LA Park's MLW TV debut featured a bunch of WCW style booking on the show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Weirdly or Fittingly LA Park's MLW TV debut featured a bunch of WCW style booking on the show. 

La Park vs. Pentagon, Jr. Looks like I'm off to go watch that show now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LA Park v Penta was exactly what I expected and wanted.  A fun garbage brawl.  Having watched the abomination of La Parka match on Impact this week I was much happier to see LA Park.  The pop for his strut was fantastic.  Penta held up his end but in terms of facing ageing legends, it's not as great as his match with Vampiro.  Worth a watch though, despite the ending.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, The Z said:

Satomura vs. Millie McKenzie and Satomura vs. Lufisto from today's Femmes Fatales tournament were awesome, though. Whole tournament was pretty damn good.

Jesus Christ, Ringkampf vs. Lucha Bros. was so fucking good. WALTER and Penta need to have a singles match down the line as well. And this was after CCK and Okami had already torn down the house before and then Bobby Gunns and Ilja Dragunov tore it down again in the main event. There were duelling Gunns/Dragunov chants during the entire duration of the match without a single second of break and the match was at least 20 minutes long. I have never heard a crowd like this before. It was INSANE.

I have no idea what went down in Australia today, but I doubt it was close to even being half as good as what I have witnessed today.

Where is there a review of this show?  Is it out on wXw already?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DeadEffect said:

There was all the attention on the WWE show in town obviously, but in all honesty the MCW show in Melbourne the night before was one of the best indy shows of the year. He copped a lot of a shit for his one off appearance at Wrestlekingdom earlier this year, but Gino Gambino is a fantastic pro wrestler, his title defense against Robbie Eagles had the hottest crowd of any indy show i've seen anywhere this year.

That was not supposed to be a diss at MCW obviously. ;)

I didn't think it was possible to be topped, but Lucha Bros/CCK from today might have even surpassed Lucha Bros/Ringkampf from yesterday. Amazing match! Ringkampf/Okami and the Finals from today were great as well!

I just saw on Twitter that the ring announcer from NOVA Pro was here as well. What a coincidence.

Quote

There were duelling Gunns/Dragunov chants during the entire duration of the match without a single second of break and the match was at least 20 minutes long. I have never heard a crowd like this before. It was INSANE.

There are so many clips of this online. Even Meiko Satomura was baffled apparently:

 

 

3 hours ago, iowanole said:

Where is there a review of this show?  Is it out on wXw already?

Night 1 will be released on there tomorrow, then another show every day from that point on.

Inner Circle from Thursday is already online today. That was a small intimate show that was being held at wXw's training facility, which only packs around 150 fans. It had Timothy Thatcher vs. Fred Yehi, Kris Wolf vs. Lufisto, Aussie Open vs. Coast 2 Coast amongst other matches. Not a bad way to warm-up for the main shows.

Watch those shows, if you can. I promise you won't regret it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2018 at 2:46 PM, Ultimo Necro said:

 Penta held up his end but in terms of facing ageing legends, it's not as great as his match with Vampiro. 

Heh. Vampiro is only a legend in his own mind.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In matches that I never thought I wanted to see until now category

He has also booked Amazing Red vs a mystery opponent and Brody King vs Bob Holly.  So even injured Janela is crazy

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just thinking last night while I was playing with some CAWs in 2K19 that I hope someone books Bully Ray vs LA Park someday. If anyone can pull it off, Janela can.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished Progress Hello Wembley. Great show(maybe outside of that TLC match) with a fantastic main event. Walter/Bate really tore the house down. Highly recommended if you can catch it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday GCW announced that Bloodsport will be back for Mania weekend.  This time is a Josh Barnett's Bloodsport.   A downgrade from Riddle but does make for some interesting match possibilities.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2018 at 2:41 PM, mattdangerously said:

I was just thinking last night while I was playing with some CAWs in 2K19 that I hope someone books Bully Ray vs LA Park someday. If anyone can pull it off, Janela can.

Three way dance Bully vs. LA Park vs. PCO

I can't wait until PCO/LA Park from the 10/4 show goes up on MLW's youtube channel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hammerva said:

Yesterday GCW announced that Bloodsport will be back for Mania weekend.  This time is a Josh Barnett's Bloodsport.   A downgrade from Riddle but does make for some interesting match possibilities.

 

That's a little far out of the way for me, especially with DDT running La Boom that night. Should still be a fun show though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Debut show for a promotion in Adelaide, Australia. Main event of Jonah Rock vs Hideki Suzuki is very good. Also, AJ Istria has an excellent match with Adam Brooks. Istria I think would appeal to those on this board who are fans of Drew Gulak, Tim Thatcher, Fred Yehi and such.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen it, but apparently MLW ran an angle with Salina de la Renta calling ICE to get Pentagón Jr. and Rey Fénix deported and Court had to apologize as people got offended by it.

popcorn.gif

Edit:
 

 

hmm.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My review of Ted Petty Invitational 2018:

Spoiler

Pat Monix vs. Devon Moore *3/4
Larry D vs. Kongo Kong *3/4
Aaron Williams vs. Tyler Bateman **3/4
Johnathan Wolf vs. Mance Warner *1/2
Eddie Kingston vs. Shane Strickland ***1/4
Michael Elgin vs. Chase Owens ***
Pat Monix vs. Larry D **3/4
Aaron Williams vs. Mance Warner **
Michael Elgin vs. Shane Strickland ***1/2
Michael Elgin vs. Aaron Williams vs. Larry D **3/4

Non-Tournament Matches:
IWA Tag Team Titles Match: The Top Guys versus Gymnasty Boys vs. Jimmy Jacobs & Joe Alonzo versus Myron Reed & Logan James **
12. Calvin Tankman, Matt Kenway, Jake Omen, & Jake Lander vs. Joey Owens, Tripp Cassidy, Gary Jay, & Shane Mercer Did Not Watch

Strickland really impressed me, I hadn't seen much of him before. The editing of this show was awful, lots of shots while the cameraman at ringside walked to reposition without the camera facing the ring or it going out of focus. 

There's maybe 30-40 people in the crowd, including a young child wearing a "FUCK MELTZER" shirt. Huh, didn't expect that in kid's sizes.

I wasn't familiar with most of the wrestlers on this show. Definitely no where near 2004's classic group. Nothing is a dud or just see. I enjoyed it for what it is. I think BOLA has definitely replaced TPI as the premier indy tournament but I always enjoy tournaments.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Results from the MCW card on October 6th:

Quote

MCW Pro Wrestling started the 2018 "Autumn Armageddon" tour in Galena, Maryland on Saturday, October 6.

The night started with MCW Rage TV champion King McBride vs. former MCW Tag Team champion Robby. McBride, seemingly frustrated, walked out of the match to give Robby a count-out victory. General Manager Phil Stamper instructed McBride to return to the ring and defend the Rage TV title and if he was counted out again, GM Stamper would award the belt to Robby. Robby dragged McBride back to the ring, but McBride kicked up his level of aggression and countered out of Robby's monkey flip to drive Robby into the mat to retain via pinfall.

Diego Cruz and Lor Diaz defeated Punk Rock All Stars (Shaun Cannon, Drake Carter).

Gia Scott tapped out Aria Palmer in Palmer's debut.

After Palmer's loss, MCW Pro Wrestling Heavyweight champion Dante Caballero came to the ring with Cruz and Diaz. Caballero expressed Palmer deserved to the lose. Palmer slapped Caballero. When Caballero moved to attack Palmer, Kekoa, his opponent in the main event, slid into the ring with a steel chair, causing Caballero, Cruz, and Diaz to flee the ring.

Drolix defeated Kyler Kay by submission via kata hajime.

In a Triple Threat Elimination match, 2018 Shane Shamrock Memorial Cup winner Joe Keys defeated both Bo Nekoda and Ken Dixon.

With the support of Galena behind him, Greg Excellent pinned Eric Martin.

Though G-Fed and Dirty Money capitalized on most of the match with double teaming and dirty tactics, Rush Hour (Tommy Seto, Deion Epps) defeated G-Fed and Dirty Money after Dirty Money inadvertently hit G-Fed with a clothesline.

Nick Comoroto defeated Desert Storm.

Despite an intense, hard-fought match-up, MCW Pro Wrestling Heavyweight champion Dante Caballero (w/ Lor Diaz, Diego Cruz, and Anya) retained over Kekoa (w/ Aria Palmer) after Kekoa connected shoulder-first with the ring post and Caballero used his feet on the ropes to pin Kekoa.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is still really fucking stupid that her parents let her anywhere near the actual business of professional wrestling at her age, but damn, that was a helluva promo.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sasha was right all along. She knew.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2018 at 9:32 AM, hammerva said:

This time is a Josh Barnett's Bloodsport.   A downgrade from Riddle...

Barnett is great. Sucks he's never dedicated himself to work full time anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...