DVDVR Message Board

Sexual Assault and Harassment in Hollywood

John from Cincinnati

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Man, I was going to mention Sapp this morning but the Alabama Senate stuff threw me off.

I listen to shows and podcasts of people who have hung out with him in the past, during and post the playing days. He is quite the character to say the least.

I don't want to get too far into the toxic masculinity thing because I feel already covered that in at least one other thread in relation to the film Moonlight. TLDR version: I feel we as black men get too much misguided blame for a lot of that. However, in regards to Warren Sapp, I don't know if someone like that is able to work corporate jobs like this at all. I have gully street dudes in my family. They would not be able to work at the NFL Network no matter if they had a job-4-life type hookup or had the legit credentials either way. I can't speak for Faulk or the other black dudes involved, but Sapp should have stayed low and did some other things to make money because dealing with people in certain environment where you have to censor yourself ain't for him. Based on the actions of the brass at the NFL Network, that behavior is kinda indicative of what flies there so I'm not shocked he had this gig. I'm more shocked that he might still be able to get steady well paying gigs elsewhere. I mean he's just going to do something crazy and get fired whether it's sexual harassment or soliciting prostitute.

Now this I DID see coming...

I remember hearing someone tell a story (doing a hilarious deadpan Russell impersonation with the lisp) about how he was about to go onstage for a Def Comedy Jam taping (the newer version after the original run, not the All Def one airing on HBO now), and Russell Simmons told him to change out of his shirt because he thought it was disrespectful to women or said comedian wouldn't perform that night.

Priorities, Russ. Priorities.

15 hours ago, Zimbra said:

It's kinda wild to me that not one dude has had the foresight to get out ahead of the accusations against them.  Even when they knew what was coming down the pike nobody put out a "Yeah, I was shitty, I'm very sorry and here's what I'm doing to not be shitty anymore" statement before the story dropped.

I guess everybody thinks they're the guy that won't get caught.

https://www.avclub.com/morgan-spurlock-says-hes-part-of-the-problem-in-sexua-1821276518

Morgan Spurlock

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I haven't seen Morgan's works in awhile.   But as long as he's sincere I'll fault the man he was but appreciate his honesty and willingness to do something about it.  It's better than reacting to allegations like Warren Sapp did.

Tavis is in full on denial mode

“Let me also assure you that I have never groped, inappropriately exposed myself or coerced any colleague in the workplace ever in my 30-year career,” Smiley said.

“If having a consensual relationship with a colleague years ago is the stuff that leads to this kind of public humiliation and personal destruction, heaven help us,” he added in a written statement posted on Facebook.

Smiley alleged investigators refused to look at certain documentation, refused to interview any of his current staff members, and “refused to give me any semblance of due process.”

“It is clear that this has gone too far,” he said. “And I for one intend to fight back. PBS overreacted and they launched a sloppy investigation. It’s time for a real conversation in this country about where the lines are, about how men and women can engage each other in the workplace. And I look forward to actively participating in that conversation.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/this-has-gone-too-far-says-tavis-smiley-after-pbs-suspends-his-show-for-misconduct/ar-BBGIAeV?li=BBnb7Kz

13 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Looks like I will get back to my crib on Friday just in time to see my boo burning our Tavis Smiley library in a trash can in the front yard.

I had no idea who Tavis was before this so I was poking around Twitter and I guess I made my way into Black Twitter and (what was news to me) was he and Cornell West went on a HOLD OBAMA ACCOUNTABLE TOUR~! (and Tavis may or may not have shit on Michelle Obama. I am so white).

Anyway - yeah... the things being said about him are... not supportive

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I had no idea who Tavis was before this so I was poking around Twitter and I guess I made my way into Black Twitter and (what was news to me) was he and Cornell West went on a HOLD OBAMA ACCOUNTABLE TOUR~! (and Tavis may or may not have shit on Michelle Obama. I am so white).

Anyway - yeah... the things being said about him are... not supportive

Yeah, that's the long and short of it basically.

52 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

and I guess I made my way into Black Twitter

Now why would you go and do a damn fool thing like that? 

I love Black Twitter, but I can only take it in small doses.

The tweets about the Omarosa thing at the White House are killing it today.  I could not be depressed today if I tried.  SO FUNNY~! 

We were laughing about how Trump's tweet about Omarosa being fired was probably ghost written by SBA Administrator Linda McMahon since it reads like a Future Endeavors spot on WWE.com

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Now why would you go and do a damn fool thing like that? 

I love Black Twitter, but I can only take it in small doses.

The tweets about the Omarosa thing at the White House are killing it today.  I could not be depressed today if I tried.  SO FUNNY~!

Yeah, the Omarosa stuff is a fastball smack dab in the wheelhouse for black Twitter.

As for Tavis, I went back and forth on him. I thought he was thorough with his handling of political guests and questioning their motivations. However, I did notice last year that he would be particularly over welcoming to other (specifically white tbh) guests. I think he had the similar problem of a lot of lesser known black pundits (Roland Martin now formerly of TVOne as of a week ago being a very good example. Van Jones would probably be another one. I would also add Goldie Taylor given how she was ousted unceremoniously.) where at the end of the day it's about job hunting for bigger opportunities. Not to invoke the name of the orange troll, but the need for black faces in the political realm seems to have gone down mightily and everyone has been put on notice. This is on top of people like Melissa Harry-Perry losing her job in the midst of the 2016 presidential election. A lot of those jobs went to blondes in their 30s-40s who already had platforms on other networks. So unless you're an Angela Rye, an Angela Rye knockoff they can roll out anytime, or this ardent black conservative willing to soft shoe on Fox for a few bucks, you're very expendable right now. Even in the last several months I've noticed they're trying to replace these black conservatives with these old civil rights dudes still trying to live off marching with Martin Luther King back in the day and doing very little since. Many of them are ready to say some wild shit (supporting a certain orange troll for example) all in the name of being on television. 

So between the attention starved and/or desperate black folks openly campaigning for jobs they might not get, I thought Tavis was a bit refreshing until he did some headscratching stuff fairly recently. Fortunately, most of the people I follow now have built strong platforms online and probably even surpass a Tavis Smiley in terms of reach just on the internet alone so the allegations against him haven't thrown me off one bit.

Take this for what it's worth, but WB's investigation into Robert Knepper turned up nothing. Of course the accusations were decades old and had nothing to do with iZombie, so... yeah. 

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/robert-knepper-1202640513/

Anyway, I know he was fined and made to apologize, but here's something I haven't thought about in years:

I was bummed to hear about NewsOne Now being cancelled due to budget cuts.  TVOne should've found some cash for his show by axing all of those goddamned reruns they constantly air for schedule filler.

I'd like to see PBS pick up his show if Tavis goes the way of the Dodo.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I was bummed to hear about NewsOne Now being cancelled due to budget cuts.  TVOne should've found some cash for his show by axing all of those goddamned reruns they constantly air for schedule filler.

I'd like to see PBS pick up his show if Tavis goes the way of the Dodo.

I have my thoughts on TV One, but I can summarize it as Cathy Hughes doesn't want to spend money and that's why TV One is basically in the shape it's in now. The funny thing is that Roland has kinda been compliant and complicit to the fact they don't spend money basically having a ton of excuses (blamed the internet, the # of homes TV One was in, cable TV tiers, etc.). Not covering Ferguson on the ground, I will grant you that even though I know it's bullshit. Not covering what went on with Freddie Gray when it's just down the street over in Baltimore is one you're not going to be able to cover your ass on. To be frank, Roland thought he would get away with sitting his ass in the TV studio in D.C. and parlay that into a better job with the Clinton administration. Hence, why I brought him up above. None of that shit happened so he has been in limbo for a solid year before he got canned. Jake Tapper went in on Roland (after Roland went at him) last month on Twitter about TV One giving Hillary the town hall questions beforehand. Roland couldn't even play that off and basically tried the internet message board thing of "I got better things to do". I didn't know Tapper would be the fucking grim reaper because Roland didn't even last a whole month after that encounter. It's the chicken come home to roost.

TBH, I never saw the need to have NewsOne Now on during the week because it had the same feel as the litany of the Political Roundtable Bullshit shows that make the hour between the church infomecial of the week and football last longer than it should.

NewsOne would've been right at home being aired on Sundays only opposite Meet The Press or Face The Nation.

One anchor even did her scheduled broadcast while she was having a miscarriage to prove her commitment to her job, according to former employees.

I'm not a legal professional, but wouldn't that be lawsuit worthy?