Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Face Turns


 Share

Recommended Posts

On 8/24/2017 at 1:07 AM, Ryan said:

I forgot about Teddy "buying" Hercules. That was kind of tasteless. Couldn't he have just bought his contractual rights or something? Weird. HERCULES WILL NOT BE A SLAVE!

It was about power for Dibiase, he wanted him as a slave, not as a mere Virgil esque lackey. 

Heenan had to know how this was going to pan out, he got paid in cash, clocked Herc with the case and left. He realized Dibiase was a megalomaniac and wanted to bleed him for what he could. 

Though Dibiase for his part, stopped doing business with Heenan after this. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Herc started in the WWF with Blassie then transferred to Slick (him and Blassie had a company together) then Slick sold Herc's contract to Heenan. 

I mean he probably could have dealt with his contract being sold again. Which Heenan probably did do, but Dibiase made a mess of the transfer because he was insane.  I would think outside of golden age Hollywood or pre free agency baseball, calling someone your slave is means to dismiss a contract. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/24/2017 at 9:52 AM, nofuture said:

Nothing better than Dusty commentating his face turn.

GARY HART, SEMI PROFESSIONAL WINO FROM CHICAGO. Such a fantastic line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They really should have made that stick. Its rare to get a chance to fix a mistake and they double downed on it. 

His turn post Survivor Series 2001 was weird. Vince started being a heel and was going to strip Austin of the title. Which apparently had been an option the entire time. Kurt Angle was a heel for saving the WWF. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2017 at 4:36 AM, Victator said:

It was about power for Dibiase, he wanted him as a slave, not as a mere Virgil esque lackey. 

Heenan had to know how this was going to pan out, he got paid in cash, clocked Herc with the case and left. He realized Dibiase was a megalomaniac and wanted to bleed him for what he could. 

Though Dibiase for his part, stopped doing business with Heenan after this. 

DiBiase did not stop doing business with Heenan after this. DiBiase aided Mr. Perfect in winning the IC title back from Kerry von Erich.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No one expected to see this shit.  I marked for days even though it really seemed out of place..

In retrospect, there are some guys who should have never wrestled as a face.  Dick Murdoch, Big Van Vader, Blackjack Mulligan, Bruiser Brody, and Stan Hansen is on that immediate short list.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For some reason, I am having an old man hazy flashback of reading in a dirtsheet that The Great Kabuki once turned face during an angle in NWA / WCW over Gary Hart mismanaging The Great Muta aka Kabuki's kayfabe son.

Yet another awkward face turn that probably would've been fucking awesome to see live.

For the life of me, I can't find any references on the interwebs about it, so I am chalking it up to Early Onset Alzheimer's.,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

No one expected to see this shit.  I marked for days even though it really seemed out of place..

In retrospect, there are some guys who should have never wrestled as a face.  Dick Murdoch, Big Van Vader, Blackjack Mulligan, Bruiser Brody, and Stan Hansen is on that immediate short list.

I'll give you Vader and Brody*, but the others were great tough-guy babyfaces... even Hansen in Georgia (his only sustained good guy run to the best of my knowledge).

*= Although Brody had one of the all-time great ring announcer calls when he was a face in World Class, courtesy of Marc Lowrance. "Albuquerque New Mexico, the world-famous BRUUUUUUISERRRRRRRR BRODY!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's definitely because of growing up in St. Louis watching Wrestling at the Chase, but I can never picture Brody as anything other than King Kong Brody, the rough-and-tumble babyface who loved the fans and went crazy only when he had to do so.

Now Dick Murdoch, he was always pure evil.  Comic evil, to be sure, but evil nonetheless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

For some reason, I am having an old man hazy flashback of reading in a dirtsheet that The Great Kabuki once turned face during an angle in NWA / WCW over Gary Hart mismanaging The Great Muta aka Kabuki's kayfabe son.

Yet another awkward face turn that probably would've been fucking awesome to see live.

For the life of me, I can't find any references on the interwebs about it, so I am chalking it up to Early Onset Alzheimer's.,

Kabuki was a face when he was managed by Sunshine.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

No one expected to see this shit.  I marked for days even though it really seemed out of place..

In retrospect, there are some guys who should have never wrestled as a face.  Dick Murdoch, Big Van Vader, Blackjack Mulligan, Bruiser Brody, and Stan Hansen is on that immediate short list.

Murdoch as the patriotic Captain Redneck ex-Marine makes sense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Murdoch as the patriotic Captain Redneck ex-Marine makes sense. 

Patriotic to the point where he turned heel because Dusty teaming with Nikita Koloff pissed him off that badly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...