DVDVR Message Board

NXT JULY 2017 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

[fantasy booking]The perfect way to have brought Asuka up would have been to have Bayley beat Charlotte at WM to win the title/end the PPV streak, then the next night on Raw, during Bayley's celebration, she's interrupted by Asuka who says she wants to take another title from Bayley.[/fantasy booking]

On 7/4/2017 at 10:03 AM, MORELOCK said:

Apples and oranges - there was no real women's division to speak of at that time. Doing the same thing with Asuka and doing a Russo-esque "hard reset" would essentially be saying that Ember, Nikki, Ruby, Peyton, and all the other women being built up are failed experiments. They aren't - Ember in particular deserves the win after the way the last match ended. This board is just full of Joshi fans that either want Asuka to dominate forever or hold off and drop the title to Io or Kairi. 

ETA: What exactly do y'all think is the endgame if Asuka goes to the main roster undefeated, anyway? Dropping the streak to Charlotte and helping no one? People have been complaining for 20 years about how Goldberg's streak wasn't ended effectively and you guys want the idiot main roster writers to get their hands on this instead of completing a well-built storyline and making a new star in NXT?

I'm not advocating for a hard reset, but I'd argue there's not really much of a women's division now thanks to Asuka's streak.  Paige was pretty heavily protected in NXT back then, although admittedly not to Asuka levels.  Peyton and Billie aren't credible threats at this point (probably on par with the BFFs at the time Paige got called up), Ember isn't connecting and isn't ready (IMO) for a title win, Ruby isn't there yet.  Nikki is the only one who I think could credibly take the title from Asuka at this point and wouldn't be a forced, "well, we have to take the title off Asuka before she gets called up." 

Thinking about it more, the best way for Asuka to go to the main roster "undefeated" could be to pull a Kevin Owens and show up on the main roster with the title, and then lose it in NXT shortly after.  Although, if they intend to have a women's show after the MYC, I assume they would want Asuka to be the face of that for a while.

Main roster fans don't give a shit about her streak any way. I'm not crazy about it being Ember but I'd rather see that 100 to 1 over someone beating her on the main roster. They would have to give Asuka a year+ undefeated run there to build it up in front of a new audience so it actually means something. With all the current pushes being given to new cast members of Total Divas I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on that.

I don't want to see Asuka lose. I think going undefeated, announcing that she's done all there is to do in NXT, that NXT and the women's division there helped make her into the monster she is, helped push herself to always stay ahead, and then end that with Ember or Nikki or someone else coming out to say that they're going to use this time to get better and one day, when Asuka least expects it, they're coming up to knock Asuka off her throne.

And then HOPEFULLY they don't have Asuka lose in her first month on the main roster or something dumb like that. This would also require long term booking across brands, something WWE creative isn't exactly known for.

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Once she turns 18, Aurora Rose will end Steph's streak.

Oh God, I could legitimately see them keeping Stephanie strong for just this reason.  Aurora's already 10 years old, and the McMahons do love them some parent vs progeny storylines.

13 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Dan Matha plz.

I was thinking along the lines of a female but if you gonna go male... I mean, Dylan Miley is a freak of nature and the beauty & the beast dynamic would be fantastic.

Mandy and Nia Jax would have been a good pairing. 

I wish Mandy Rose was further along in her development. I'd like to see her on the main roster with Harper and Rowan doing her dirty work.

Mandy instructing Braun this whole time to destroy Roman would have been fun.

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Mandy and Nia Jax would have been a good pairing. 

I wish Mandy Rose was further along in her development. I'd like to see her on the main roster with Harper and Rowan doing her dirty work.

Mandy instructing Braun this whole time to destroy Roman would have been fun.

I'd be cool with Mandy being the mastermind behind Braun's weird obsession with destroying Roman.  

I'd be absolutely ecstatic if Jojo gets revealed as Sista Abigail.   

I just bought tickets to NXT at the Paramount Theater in Seattle for next Friday. We are sitting on the floor I'm being a whole tribe (my brother, my buddy his wife and their two young sons). I'm excited for the show my buddy and his oldest boy made the trek down to Portland with me last year to see NXT and had an absolute blast so we are going again this year. And I'm bumped to see wrestling at the Paramount as my favorite venues for wrestling are old theaters should be a blast.

• Like 1

Last year was different, thats for sure I mean they had Balor, Joe and Nakamura on the card that was a treat. I remember American Alpha and the Revival tearing the house down in a match that had my buddy who isn't a wrestling fan per say he watches with his kids, going nuts during it and No Way Jose being the most over person on the card ahead of Joe, Balor and Baylay. But to see the show at the Paramount is going to be really cool. We got tickets on the main floor but we are like 24 or 5 rows back. Hows the view of the stage that far back?

Word on internet streets is that Lio Rush is going to NXT so things are happening fast for that kid. Also, I didn't know he used to team with Patrick Clark and now I want the Velveteen Dreams ruling the tag scene.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Word on internet streets is that Lio Rush is going to NXT so things are happening fast for that kid. Also, I didn't know he used to team with Patrick Clark and now I want the Velveteen Dreams ruling the tag scene.

By Mike Johnson on 2017-07-09 01:07:00
Former CZW champion and ROH star Lio Rush announced during tonight's CZW event that he would make a final appearance for Combat Zone Wrestling on 8/5 against Joey Janella in Voorhees, NJ.   The word going around backstage at CZW is that Rush was in Orlando earlier this week at the WWE Performance Center and has been offered an NXT deal. 

Rush, 22, was originally trained at the MCW school in Baltimore (his first tag team partner was current NXT talent "Velveteen Dream" Patrick Clark) and was under contract to ROH from 2015-2017 before exiting the promotion.

Good for Rush. I've seen him live 3 times this year and the kid is really good and a really cool dude. Looks like I'm going to have to go to the Defy/Crash August 3rd show here in Tacoma to see Rush vs Strickland before Rush signs with the E.

I'm going to see him this weekend for MCW's Shane Shamrock Cup.  I don't know if it'll be his last show there but if word gets around they may well announce it (depends on when August show is).  I selfishly wished he'd stay a bit longer, but it's sure been a blast seeing him live many times in MCW.   He's almost always had the best match of the show and the crowd just adores him dearly.  If this weekend's his last time there then I'm hoping to go up and say thanks.