DVDVR Message Board

NXT JULY 2017 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Glad they got ReDragon signed.  They needed quality teams and they certainly fit the bill.  Also, if TM61 is still a thing when they come back a match between the four could help make TM61 a bigger deal than before.

3 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Hide contents

Also, if TM61 is still a thing when they come back a match between the four could help make TM61 a bigger deal than before.

Given that the non-injured one is being kept off TV until the injured one returns, I'd say it's a safe bet that they will remain together.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Hide contents

Glad they got ReDragon signed.  They needed quality teams and they certainly fit the bill.  Also, if TM61 is still a thing when they come back a match between the four could help make TM61 a bigger deal than before.

Given that 

they both lost to Black in their debuts, I wonder if they team up and go after him?!

Just got back from the house show in Vancouver and I gotta say it was a pretty big let down when compared to the show in the gorgeous Paramount Theater in Seattle last May. Yeah, NXT is in a different place where they haven't built up the newer faces yet after last year's call-ups but it just felt like a decent but totally unspectacular wrestling show. AOP vs. Heavy Machinery was my MOTN followed by a really strong Aleister Black/Velveteen Dream match that, after taking a while to get going, was surprisingly great. I thought the clash of styles would make for some nice moments but Clark is way beyond what I've seen on TV (admittedly, I haven't been keeping up all that much lately). He's not just really good character work, he can go when given the chance. It's weird in that most workers either have really good character work OR really good in-ring work. Not a whole lot of complete packages in NXT right now and I will continue to blame the weak creative for that.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Just got back from the house show in Vancouver and I gotta say it was a pretty big let down when compared to the show in the gorgeous Paramount Theater in Seattle last May. Yeah, NXT is in a different place where they haven't built up the newer faces yet after last year's call-ups but it just felt like a decent but totally unspectacular wrestling show. AOP vs. Heavy Machinery was my MOTN followed by a really strong Aleister Black/Velveteen Dream match that, after taking a while to get going, was surprisingly great. I thought the clash of styles would make for some nice moments but Clark is way beyond what I've seen on TV (admittedly, I haven't been keeping up all that much lately). He's not just really good character work, he can go when given the chance. It's weird in that most workers either have really good character work OR really good in-ring work. Not a whole lot of complete packages in NXT right now and I will continue to blame the weak creative for that.

I would have love for AOP vs. Heavy Machinery, but we got AOP vs. Sanity instead in Bel Air.  Good match, but if we had the former I would have been beside myself.  Black/Dream was way better than it had any right to be.  I wouldn't say he has the complete package yet, but he's getting a lot closer to it than what one would think seeing him on TV.  Was the place full or were there a lot of empty seats?  It was a generous 60% full and it wasn't a big place by any means.

Part of me is kind of sad that Clark got saddled with the Velveteen Dream gimmick, because I think it is to gimmicky for the current wrestling scene.  He should have been able to try to get over as the old "be yourself turned up to 11" style.  I could see someone with the raw talent of Patrick Clark in the main event of Wrestlemania, I can't see the Velveteen Dream in the main event of Wrestlemania.  I hope his success at playing kind of a goofy gimmick isn't going to lead to his failure as a serious wrestler.  

My guess is as he grows as a character, he becomes more Patrick Clark turned up to 11 and less Dream. Alvarez was making more or less the same criticism a few weeks ago reviewing one of Dream's TV squashes. But he mentioned that somebody from NXT texted him saying that there's a lot of Patrick Clark in the Velveteen Dream character, so we'll see if they eventually blur the lines better and make it less a cartoony Prince gimmick. He cut a really fun video interview saying he was the best there ever was, best there is, and the best there ever will be to some legit heat. He tried applying a Sharpshooter (like worse than The Rock, keep in mind) on Black in the match and it got over. He's smart, incredibly athletic, charismatic, has a phenomenal physique and look, and he's miles better than his TV matches would indicate. He's going to be a star if the writers don't get in the way.

My group was marking out hard for AOP/Machinery. Big mean boy match. Fantastic stuff. I'll watch the match from TV to see how they stack up against each other. Still can't believe that there was no Oney Lorcan. If he doesn't end up being the guy that doesn't fail Lars Sullivan eventually, they done fucked up. Lars/Oney to unseat AOP plz.

They ran the Agrodome here in Vancouver (5,000 seater, but more importantly was the venue filmed in Rocky IV among others. "IF I CAN CHANGE... AND YOU CAN CHANGE... EVERYBODY CAN CHANGE!"). So, considering they had a good 300-500 in floor seats around the ring (I generally overestimate that kind of stuff) and the bleacher seats were about 50% full, they did okay. The acoustics are dreadful and the empty seats kind of killed the atmosphere. I'm thinking if they run both the Agrodome here and the Paramour Theater in Seattle next year, I'll just go to the fucking Seattle show. The fans are better (at least they were last year, but so was the product) and the venue is 100x better. I'm interested to hear from the Seattleites (and nWo-ites) about tonight's show and how it compared to the show last May.

• Like 1

The acoustics weren't up to snuff there either, but at least the crowd being into it last year made up for it.  If you'd like an idea of how the Seattle show went Bryan and Vinny went so you can get their take on their next show.

Seattle at the Paramount was an absolute blast. Crowd was lit the whole time and the theater element adding to the atmosphere it was wild. Former Seahawk Demetrius Bronson had his first match ever against Lars Sullivan who I have seen on NXT TV before and D was impressive hopefully he keeps with it and becomes a big star one day. Alister Black and Almas had a good match. Velveteen Dream is a good wrestler but hasn't completely fleshed out his character yet. Ruby Riot and Ember Moon had a barn burner of a match and The Main of Roode be Strong was incredible or should I say Glorious. Place was packed not sold out but damn near close. Also I was wearing a Lio Rush shirt cuz I'm the hip cutting edge guy and two other people also had Lio Rush shirts on. 

For debuting only 4 months before hand he was pretty good, crowd went nuts when he came out and as you can imagine as a former football player his move set was a lot of tackles and dropkicks and shit. He hit this middle rope shoulder tackle that got a big pop. Lars Sullivan for just the mere fact that he was billed from Denver got heel heat then when it was revealed he was wrestling a former Seahawk he might have been the biggest heel of the night.

They did the post Match attack last night. We all clapped when Bronson stood up after the attack. Bronson got some offense in, he's from the area and he played on the Seahawks so Seattle had his back. If you just walked on the field by accident for the Seahawks you would it made in Seattle. We enjoy our football.

The seats were great the Ring on the stage made for a cool feel, crowd was wild all night. My brother who has wanted to see NXT live had a blast. My buddy who this is only his second live wrestling show ever had a good time and enjoyed it better than Portland last year and he said it had a lot to do with the aesthetics and atmosphere of the Paramount. His wife whose the wrestling fan of the two and got their kids into wrestling had never been to a wrestling show before and was like in awe of the whole ordeal. The kids had a blast. All in all a great time with some really good wrestling. 

Oh also why hasn't No Way Jose been called up yet? Dude is over and can work. With how over he is abs his gimmick they have a mid carder they could put anywhere on the card and get a reaction and have people vested. Dude has charisma. Kona Reeves was on the outside and Drake Younger was making the count and of course the crowd was chanting ten so Jose did the Tye Dillinger cartwheel and ten hand move thing. 

Why on earth is Lars Sullivan not doing the Iron Claw slam for a finish (and then he doesn't relinquish the claw and submits them instead of pinning them)? That slam is too generic for such a unique looking human being with hands the size he has.