DVDVR Message Board

KANE running for MAYOR in TENNESSEE

35 minutes ago, Pete said:

Silly question for the TN locals: what does mayorship of Knox County actually entail? I was under the impression it includes Knoxville itself, but it turns out they have their own mayor.

mostly setting things on fire and electrocuting other men's balls

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

For what is worth, there are 43 provisional (potentially illegal) ballots out there so the race can't officially be called.  If Kane gets 14 of them called in his favor, it doesn't matter.  At the same time, I'm sure there will be a recount too.  But either way, apparently Knox County won't officially announce the winner until after May 19th. 

"Just to be safe."

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Silly question for the TN locals: what does mayorship of Knox County actually entail? I was under the impression it includes Knoxville itself, but it turns out they have their own mayor.

Knoxville is the county seat for Knox County. When Jacobs wins (and he will because this state sucks), he’ll be mayor of, basically, one actual town and a bunch of smaller non-incorporated “towns” in the area. I’m assuming Knoxville has their own mayor because it’s the 3rd largest city in the state.

@MORELOCK would know better than me, though. I live almost 3 hours away from Knoxville/Knox County.

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's a weird thing. In Tennessee they apparently call the county commissioner "mayor"

I don’t know about that. Not how it is down where I live. It’s two seperate titles for two different people in my town.

3 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

For what is worth, there are 43 provisional (potentially illegal) ballots out there so the race can't officially be called.  If Kane gets 14 of them called in his favor, it doesn't matter.  At the same time, I'm sure there will be a recount too.  But either way, apparently Knox County won't officially announce the winner until after May 19th

Is that a joke? Cuz if it's not god help them if he winds up losing. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Casey said:

I don’t know about that. Not how it is down where I live. It’s two seperate titles for two different people in my town.

AFAIK, Tennessee is the only state where counties have Mayors. 

6 hours ago, Casey said:

@MORELOCK would know better than me, though. I live almost 3 hours away from Knoxville/Knox County.

Confusing even for a resident. County mayors used to be called county executives - not sure if those are a thing outside of TN, but this goes into a little more detail about some of their duties.

I would think Kane would be strong on education.  Can't trap dimwitted teenagers looking to have sex and get high in poorly lit,abandoned hallways if they're not in school in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/2/2018 at 5:19 AM, The Natural said:

3K39owQn?format=jpg&name=600x314

"Don't talk to the judge alone! Let Anders and Thomas do the talking for you! Right Glenn?"

"The government said I owed years of taxes. Then I called Anders and Thomas!"

"Thanks, Glenn, we'll see you next visitor's day. You, too, can negotiate a pretty decent plea deal. Call Anders and Thomas at 555-5555."

"Don't want no jive? Call 5555!"

"Cut! Great take, guys. Now switch suits and try it again!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Kane gets criticism for wrestling:

With him returning to WWE television in the lead-up to next month's mayoral election, Glenn Jacobs (Kane) has received some criticism from his Democratic opponent.

The Knoxville News Sentinel ran a story this morning where they spoke to Jacobs and Democrat Linda Haney about Jacobs continuing to wrestle during their race to decide the next mayor of Knox County, Tennessee. “I was really stunned to find out he was still pursuing it. I thought it was in the past,” Haney said. “I thought in this crucial time he’d want to be here and be with the people.

“Being an entertainer doesn’t make you a political figure. It may get you some votes, but I believe people want someone with common sense and who is (ready to lead).”

Jacobs responded by saying that his schedule with WWE is "sporadic," that it isn't different than if he had any other job, and that it doesn't have an impact on his preparation. He also left the door open to still make special appearances for WWE if he wins the election.

“After I am elected mayor, I’ll be mayor. (Though) I may still do a few special things,” Jacobs said. “I’ve done it for 23 years now and have quite a history, it’ll always be part of my life. I think the question is, if I am taking it seriously, and of course I am. I wouldn’t (be running) if not.

“I’m sure some people will say that (I’m not focused) and some others will say that’s the coolest thing ever,” Jacobs said. “Again, you can’t make everyone happy. You just do what you can and that’s it....you’re always going to catch criticism no matter what you do.”

The past two mayors of Knox County, who are both Republicans, spoke supportively of Jacobs in the News Sentinel's article.

Jacobs won May's Republican primary by just 23 votes but is expected to easily defeat Haney in the August 2 election. Before it takes place, Kane & Daniel Bryan will be challenging for The Bludgeon Brothers' SmackDown Tag Team titles at Extreme Rules in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on July 15.

don’t see how the Democratic nominee can say with a straight face that people there want someone with “common sense and who is ready to lead” when 58% of Knox County voted for Trump in 2016. It would be different if this was Davidson, Haywood or Shelby County we were talking about.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...