DVDVR Message Board

2017 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

51 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Call me unsold on Butler being a guy that makes a good team a contender. An average team to playoffs, yes, sure. A guy that limited from outside stands out like a sore thumb against his contemporaries for mine.

I don't remember who I heard say it, but this was pretty much the exact reasoning the Bulls used when they made the decision to trade him.  They didn't think he's good enough to be the best player on a contender, and as long as he's there they would never be able to get anyone better.  I've been saying this for years about Carmelo Anthony.  If Carmelo Anthony is your best player, your team is not good enough, but he's also too good to realistically believe he'd ever be anything but the best player on your team.  So as long as he's on the team, you're never going to be satisfied with your team, but you're essentially giving up on winning if you get rid of him.  

• Like 1

By the time Minnesota is ready to seriously compete, KAT is going to be the best player. Butler as a second option/lockdown defender is just what they need. Now they need a second big that can shoot, and maybe a point guard that can as well.

Ideally, he's your third best player. Does enough to consistently churn out his 20 or so to be a threat, and does his thing defensively. I don't think he's even good enough to compete with a Kyrie or Curry as the second best player/second option. More than handy Kevin Love/Klay Thompson type in a contending team.  

Realistically, Boston probably run in to the same issue that Chicago had in retaining him. 

Unless Wiggins ends up a lot better than I expect, there is no reasonable path to virtually any team putting together a lineup where Butler is lower than second best. The only team in the NBA he wouldn't be the first or second best player on is Golden State.

I think this will work out well for Minnesota because Wiggins will be competing/learning from Butler and by the time Wiggins/KAT are reaching their full potential Butler should still be good enough to be the 3rd man on a title contender. Yes, I do believe Wiggins and KAT both have top 10-15 potential.  

With Boston they are in a weird "win now but also build for the future" situation and I know Ainge probably thinks he's playing chess and the rest of the league is tic-tac-toe but this is a very difficult maneuver to pull off. We'll know more once we get into free agency.  He has to make a splash there and then explore trade options. 

Thibs is really going to run Jimmy into the ground this time. The same way he rode Luol Deng so hard. Deng was good, not great, and all those 40+ minute games in a season on a team like Minnesota won't help Jimmy going forward.

You can argue either way if you're objective about it. Both guys have flaws. Switch Harden and Westbrook. Are the results different for either team? Who knows. They both were relied on way too much. Westbrook's usage percentage was psychotic. Without him or an equivalent, they probably win 30 games.

NBA/ABA Leaders 
Rank    Player    Usg%    Season
1.    Russell Westbrook    41.65    2016-17
2.    Kobe Bryant    38.74    2005-06

On 6/24/2017 at 9:24 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Ainge has something against Butler because when asked he basically said they didn't even try to get him. I don't understand what he wouldn't like out of a premier two-way player. But like I was saying earlier, Stevens is in love with Tatum. 

He probably looked at how Rondo came out of this season looking like a better mentor and leader than Jimmy Butler and said "Never fucking mind."

I don't really blame him. I like Jimmy but I've never felt like he was really going to ever be the guy to lead us to promise land. A lot of games we lost control of because our bench or roel players fought us back, and then in comes 4th Quarter Jimmy ready to fuck all the momentum up. He has to be paired with a guy who is more dominant than him. Someone who can shut him down and tell him to do his job. The reason the Three Alpha gimmick didn't work is because he was the best one of the group. But you pair him with an Alpha like Westbrook or even John Wall, I think he'd fall in line because they back it up with elite play.

Cleveland missed out. I think if they got Jimmy, they would have seen a ton of Lebron Lobs to Jimmy Buckets plays.

I'm not terribly worried about the on-court fit.  Harden and Paul are both incredibly smart players and if there's one thing D'Antoni knows it's offense.  

But I am a little concerned about how CP3's knees will hold up playing at the Rockets pace and about their perimeter defense.

So Chris Paul as a Clipper ended up only somewhat better than Deron Williams as a Net right? Who would've seen both those trades ending up pretty underwhelming/disappointing when they were done?