DVDVR Message Board

2017 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

Interesting tidbit about the Clips I hadn't realized:

Vinny Del Negro's best season with the Clippers: 56-26, lost in the first round

Doc Rivers' best season with the Clippers: 57-26, lost in the second round

Huh.

• Like 2

He's had some questionable drafting in Toronto but he did fleece New York twice. I'm guessing the Raptors would ask for a hefty price to let him go. If he does, I hope the Raps go all in on The Process and get Hinkie.

Chris Paul is a Rocket.  Can't believe it.  I imagine both Harden and Paul are going to find themselves in catch and shoot situations with one setting up the other.  What they gave up wasn't substantial at all: I'll miss Mr. 94 Feet Patrick Beverley, but we clearly upgraded at the PG position.  Dekker and Lou Williams aren't much and the first round pick will be in the high 20s. 

Reports are that the Rockets aren't done and hoping to move Ryan Anderson and change for Melo or Paul George.  I'm not getting my hopes up, but who am I to doubt El Morey? 

EDIT: Wow, didn't realize we traded Montrezl Harrell and Kyle Wiltjer too.  And we traded for guys named Darrun Hilliard and DeAndre Liggins just to throw them into this deal.  I have no idea how any of this works.  And we have apparently traded for guys named Tim Quarterman, Ryan Kelly, and Shawn Long.  I wonder if these are real people, or just create-a-player on NBA 2k17 with a random name generator.  Well, I have no idea who is on our roster now.  But I think it's safe to say we have the best starting backcourt in the NBA now. 

Chris Paul is a great player, and great players usually figure it out together, but his style seems to literally be the anti-Rockets. Slow, methodical, loves md-range jumpers...

I think it makes perfect sense from Paul's perspective. He can hit 3s. He's on the wrong side of 30. Why not go to the coach that made Nash an MVP in his 30s? Good way to extend your career. Paul has been a volume 3 point shooter the last 3 years. Over 300 attempts each season. His 5 attempts per game last year is more than Nash ever attempted in a season. Hit over 40% as well. Close to 50% on catch and shoot 3 point attempts. I don't know I'd be shocked if there were fit issues. 

If Griffin stays around I'm looking forward to seeing him play without Paul. His playmaking is pretty underrated. Compare his passing numbers to someone like Lamar Odom. 

12 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

They can surround Blake with Beverly, Williams,  and Rivers to give him and Jordan plenty of space as well.

Speaking of Rivers the story that is out there now that it was the acquisition of Austin, and the way he was treated, that led to Paul losing faith in Doc Rivers is interesting. I did wonder when they added Jerry West how that would be addressed if West had a negative view on Austin. Can't help but wonder if dumping Doc would get them a legit shot at Paul George. Since it is very likely that Paul George's old relationship with Doc Rivers' daughter is why you hear Lakers only rumors about George heading to LA.

54 minutes ago, Cole Miner said:

Speaking of Rivers the story that is out there now that it was the acquisition of Austin, and the way he was treated, that led to Paul losing faith in Doc Rivers is interesting. I did wonder when they added Jerry West how that would be addressed if West had a negative view on Austin. Can't help but wonder if dumping Doc would get them a legit shot at Paul George. Since it is very likely that Paul George's old relationship with Doc Rivers' daughter is why you hear Lakers only rumors about George heading to LA.

Doc's kids are single handedly bringing down the Clippers. Well, that and the early playoff exits.

Harden/CP3 is going to be nuts together. The other thing everyone is sleeping on is just how good Paul is on defense. He's one of the best defensive guards in league history. Harden's "lack of commitment" on that end of the ball is pretty defining. Also: The Spurs in the playoffs did their best to make Houston take mid-range shots. They protected the rim and stayed with shooters. Having one of the only great mid-range players in the league is a great counter for that. 

I think CP3's best bet to get to the finals was by signing with the Spurs and teaming with Kawhi and Pop. But this is going to be really fun to see how it works. 

I'm so glad Phil got shown the door. I have zero care about the Knicks. I'm glad Phil's going out though with a big dose of comeuppance. He's one of the luckiest people in the history of the planet. He coached arguably four of the 20 best players in NBA history. And he always had a superior hand putting together the teams for him. Once he had to judge the talent and manage them off the court, he was showed the door. 

The reliance on the triangle really came back to kill him. Every good team in the league has a lot of triangle influence in them. Anytime you see Curry pass the ball to Draymond in the high post and then retreat to the corner is the start of a triangle set. But imagine an entire friggin' game of Curry moving to the corner as opposed to making magic happen with the ball in his hand? But wanting teams to do that the entire game and with all sorts of contingencies in the triangle -- If A does B, then C goes to D, and etc. -- is the old overcoached NBA. 

• Like 1

I'm a little confused by the cash considerations stuff.  Are teams strapped for cash that they need to trade players for money?  Do the cash considerations go to cap relief?  Or just relief to the owner's pocketbook? 

It is free money for the owner's pocket. Since they are selling contracts that aren't guaranteed. Works the same as selling draft picks. There is a limit of how much cash you can bring in that way each season. Sixers were only 100,000 away from this years limit. Which is 5 million. Which is why Houston also sent a draft pick to the Sixers in the deal for Long.

On July 1st this resets with the new year. Sixers sold 2 draft picks at the draft this year. Those deals haven't actually gone through yet since they need the new season the start on the 1st to get more money.  

IT BEGINS: Bulls released Rondo.

Also Woj starts on ESPN at 12:01 tonight, which feels like some real Rick Rude showing up on Nitro shit.

EDIT: Rubio to the Jazz, terms not announced yet.

2018 first rounder going to Minnesota. I'm a  Rubio fan and want the Jazz to succeed, so I'm pretty excited about this move despite liking George Hill a great deal. How has Rubio's shot come along the last few years? That was a real issue for him early on. I could see him doing some pretty magical things with Snyder's half court offense. Lots of opportunity to find shooters and create openings using up the clock.