DVDVR Message Board

2017 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

Fun context in regards to the Otto Porter deal

Assuming the Wizards match - Porter will be the 2nd highest paid DC player (behind only Max Scherzer

Memphis is retiring Z-Bo's #50 and fans are making $50 donations in his honor to a charity he supports that pays the utility bills of low-income people.

Memphis is perhaps the only good sports fanbase.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Memphis is retiring Z-Bo's #50 and fans are making $50 donations in his honor to a charity he supports that pays the utility bills of low-income people.

Memphis is perhaps the only good sports fanbase.

My favorite athlete/city relationship is Z-Bo and Memphis.  That dude is more Memphis than Lawler and Elvis combined.

I really hope that when Z-Bo retires he can get 1-day contract with Memphis so he can retire a Grizzly.

Has there been a better and more appropriate pairing of team and city than Grit 'n Grind with Memphis?  The only other one I can think of is maybe the Showtime Lakers.

2 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I really hope that when Z-Bo retires he can get 1-day contract with Memphis so he can retire a Grizzly.

Has there been a better and more appropriate pairing of team and city than Grit 'n Grind with Memphis?  The only other one I can think of is maybe the Showtime Lakers.

I think the biggest difference between the two is that the Showtime Lakers would have been loved in any city in the country.  Memphis is one of very few cities in the country where they would embrace a team full of dudes who embrace the gritty, hard nosed, blackity black, Memphis Grizzlies.  They chant "WHOOP THAT TRICK," in the arena.  They were beloved, because they were a team full of dudes who could...and would beat your ass if you got out of line, and they played like it.  If you put that team in any other arena, there is a better chance of them being hated than loved.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm biased but Detroit and the defense first, no superstar Pistons on the '00s and the Bad Boys were a pretty perfect match.

The Bad Boys are definitely on the list, but I honestly think those 2000s Pistons teams were better than anyone gives them credit for.  You could argue that four of the five starters are hall of famers.  

6 hours ago, supremebve said:

I think the biggest difference between the two is that the Showtime Lakers would have been loved in any city in the country.  Memphis is one of very few cities in the country where they would embrace a team full of dudes who embrace the gritty, hard nosed, blackity black, Memphis Grizzlies.  They chant "WHOOP THAT TRICK," in the arena.  They were beloved, because they were a team full of dudes who could...and would beat your ass if you got out of line, and they played like it.  If you put that team in any other arena, there is a better chance of them being hated than loved.  

I'd cite my beloved early-mid 90's Knicks. They are still beloved even though they didn't win it all. Oak, Mase, Starks, Bonner, Patrick. God did I love that team fucking people up. Mase was my freaking hero in high school.

• Like 1

Starks 4 life.

Rudy Gay to San Antone and old man VC slides into Sacramento. I'm guessing Gay is off the bench ready made offense for when Kawhi is resting? Or do you slide one of them to the 4 and have them play a lot together? Gay is on a pretty great deal, too. 2 years, $17 million.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

And in order to make room for James Johnson and Olynyk, Miami will be shipping McRoberts and a future 2nd to the Mavs for AJ Hammons.

Leaving Miami with bags of money with dollar signs on the bags. At least one good thing came from this. 

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

I'd cite my beloved early-mid 90's Knicks. They are still beloved even though they didn't win it all. Oak, Mase, Starks, Bonner, Patrick. God did I love that team fucking people up. Mase was my freaking hero in high school.

In a lot of ways, they were the not quite as good Bad Boys.

And it's funny that Riley went from Showtime to that.

5 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

In a lot of ways, they were the not quite as good Bad Boys.

And it's funny that Riley went from Showtime to that.

Those Mourning/PJ Brown/Hardaway Heat teams also resembled that remark. Good, full of BAMFs, but not quite at that level. 

Before hand checking was abolished you absolutely could put together a team like that and be successful. 

The big difference was that Isiah and Joey and Vinnie could switch gears into running and gunning if needed.

Man, Joe Dumars would be a GM's dream in this day and age. Never gets in any trouble off the court, one is the greatest perimeter defenders of all-time, a solid three point shooter who can play point or wing... Teams would be lining up to offer him the max.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Fun context in regards to the Otto Porter deal

Assuming the Wizards match - Porter will be the 2nd highest paid DC player (behind only Max Scherzer

ESPN is reporting that Washington will match.  

I'm looking forward to Dion Waiters murdering Olynyk.

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The big difference was that Isiah and Joey and Vinnie could switch gears into running and gunning if needed.

Man, Joe Dumars would be a GM's dream in this day and age. Never gets in any trouble off the court, one is the greatest perimeter defenders of all-time, a solid three point shooter who can play point or wing... Teams would be lining up to offer him the max.

All of this. Joe D is my favorite player of all time.

Think I might throw on my DVD's of the 88-89 semis and finals games.

• Like 1

Joe Dumars once kicked a puppy. Now, it was an evil puppy planning on taking over the world, but he did it none the less. I can produce uh, badly photo edited proof if need be. May involve Cobra Commander.

evilpuppy1.jpg

11 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

ESPN is reporting that Washington will match.  

I do like that the Nets did add in some fun things into the contract just to be dicks to the Wizards

Like Porter gets half of his salary upfront before the season starts. Ted's not gonna like payroll that month.

The Boston Celtics are trading guard Avery Bradley and a second-round pick to the Detroit Pistons for forward Marcus Morris, league sources told ESPN.