DVDVR Message Board

2017 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

I'm waiting on Hayward's article on the Players' Tribune before I believe anything. Okay, just the headline on the article, but you get what I'm saying. 

"The Jazz Scene in Utah really isn't that Great" By Gordon Hayward

If Boston does end up with Hayward it's a great signing BUT I have to wonder what they are going to do with Crowder/Hayward/Tatum/Brown.  That's a lot of small forwards, they can play small and will against most teams but they need a PF.  Ainge is going to have to make more moves too.  I think there's a strong possibility that Crowder,  Smart and Rozier are all gone. 

Jazz are pretty hooped. Otto Porter at max would be a terrible step backwards and a team built around Gobert P&R isn't going to get it done in this Western Conference. Should they tank? I'm usually too quick to say yes, but what's the best they can hope for by overpaying some jabrone and finishing in the 12-8 range? Losing 4 games in the playoffs?

EDIT: FUCK IT. All aboard the Donovan Mitchell hype train:

I suggest tanking. 

PG SG SF PF C
Starters Ricky Rubio
11p 4r 9a
Joe Johnson
9p 3r 2a
 Rodney Hood 
13p 3r 2a
Boris Diaw
5p 2r 2a
Rudy Gobert
14p 13r 1a
Rotation Dante Exum
6p 2r 2a
Alec Burks
7p 3r 1a
    Derrick Favors
10p 6r 1a
Lim PT Raulzinho Neto
3p 1r 1a
    Joel Bolomboy
2p 2r

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

Saves Washington needing to give him the fifth year. Unless they want to lose Wall and go full rebuild, they pretty much have to match this.

Are you high?  Giving Otto Porter Jr. a max contract is flat out stupid.  He's the third best player on a barely above average team and is not a top 20 player at his position.  Kelly Oubre could probably be as good as him in a year or two for half the price.

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Are you high?  Giving Otto Porter Jr. a max contract is flat out stupid.  He's the third best player on a barely above average team and is not a top 20 player at his position.  Kelly Oubre could probably be as good as him in a year or two for half the price.

It's not about Porter. It's about making sure Wall signs his massive extension.

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

It's not about Porter. It's about making sure Wall signs his massive extension.

If overpaying a dude who isn't going to get John Wall any closer to a championship is the only way to get him stay, he's probably leaving anyway.  Building a team that he feels can contend for a championship is the only way to go.  John Wall is not sticking around to play basketball with Otto Porter no matter how much they pay him.  Matter of fact, if they blow their cap space on Porter, he's probably more likely to leave, because they can't afford to pay anyone who is actually good.  

No,  Celtics aren't done yet.  At least not if the goal is to win a championship.  So,  I do like bringing Hayward in. He'll be a great fit reuniting him and Stevens.  Hayward averaged 22 a game last year on an offense that is the slowest in the league. He can flat out score.  He'll take some pressure off IT.  But now they have like 4 small forwards and no PF.  Probably have to move either Smart or Crowder or both soon. 

The most important thing about the Hayward signing is that they added an all-star free agent without giving up anything.  Unlike Butler/George,  they got him for nothing and he is not a rental. They still have all the picks and Brown/Tatum to offer for another star down the road.  

The Gallinari deal is done

The LA Clippers have acquired Denver Nuggets free-agent forward Danilo Gallinari on a three-year, $65 million contract as part of a three-team sign-and-trade deal, league sources told ESPN.

Los Angeles, Denver and Atlanta reached agreement Tuesday night on a deal that will have the Clippers send Jamal Crawford, Diamond Stone, a 2018 first-round pick previously acquired from Houston and cash to the Hawks, league sources said.

Atlanta will send a 2019 second-round pick it previously acquired from Washington to Denver to complete the trade, league sources said.

Now the word going around is that Utah is open to a sign and trade with Boston with Crowder coming to the Jazz. I mean, I guess so. 

In other news,

A more positive story, Dante Exum is looking pretty great. Yeah, he's 21 and has 168 games in the Association but people were starting to write him off. He's got the tools and physical abilities to be a special player still.

Tatum is lighting it up offensively but showing holes defensively already. 

b12.gif

Doesn't deserve nonplussed Stevie Ray.

So, how do Boston fans think they're going to get a Marc Gasol level center through trade when they have to basically gut their entire bench just to afford Hayward? The NBA cap confuses me so, but even this seems out of touch.