DVDVR Message Board

2017 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

And Detroit has renounced their rights to KCP.

Didn't see that coming at all.

They're going all-in with Reggie and Dre. It's a mistake, but that max contract they gave Dre last year forced their hand. I don't see any team in the league taking that on.

On the bright side, the trade of Marcus Morris means Henry Ellison is pretty much guaranteed a rotation spot this year.

Hahahaha, holy shit the Knicks offer to Hardaway Jr also includes a 15% trade kicker and the same "gets 50% of his salary before the season" clause that the Net's offer to Porter has.

So they may be giving an inflated contract to a mediocre player, but at least they're also making him impossible to trade.

The Knicks don't really have any leverage over Carmelo.  They signed the deal with the no-trade clause and they're committed to paying him.  They can ask him nicely, they can try to make him even more miserable in NY, but that's about it.

Reportedly wanting to buy Melo out was one of the things that got Phil fired so I don't think it happens.

Everyone not named Golden State is sort of screwed. As long as they can keep their core four together and healthy, they are almost unstoppable. You can try and make moves to get better, but how are you going to get good enough to beat them? You almost have to hope that GS loses at least one of the four to an injury after the trade deadline, so they can't even attempt to replace them.

If San Antonio had added somebody key like Lowry on top of what they already had and stayed healthy, I could see that Spurs team beating the Warriors. They'd be big underdogs but they're the only team I can see beating them. Even with just the addition of Gay, I think it'll be pretty competitive. Houston will push them if they meet up too but they're still one great player away from becoming a serious threat.

But I agree with the general sentiment that if you aren't the Warriors then you need to be working hard to get high end prospects and picks. Otherwise what's the point of going for an endless jog of mediocrity on the treadmill? 

Bradley is a better player than KCP right now, but he's all two and half years older and will be a free agent after the season. He's not really enough of an upgrade to offset both KCP and Morris and see the team improve, but it's certainly not a tanking move. Another year picking between 11 and 17. Yay.

My team is basically just sitting there because we don't have any money to do anything. Anyone want Greg Monroe? We'll take a 2nd round pick in 2022!

They also let their (very good) GM walk because they got cheap, passed over the up and coming executive they considered the GM in waiting they already had on the payroll, gave the GM job to someone even a lot of actual NBA front office guys have reportedly never heard of, and at least some of the owner partnership has publicly questioned if the current head coach is the right guy for the job.

Somehow the future is still twice as bright as Detroit's.

12 hours ago, Josh Mann said:

Dirk reups with the Mavs. 2/10. Not a misprint.

Cuban better buy him something sick as a retirement present.

Been kicking this around in my head for a while. My strong theory is that Cuban is going to keep Dirk on the payroll somehow, LONG after he retires. As an ambassador, a made up front office position, shooting coach, SOMETHING. All the reports beforehand said that they'd give Dirk whatever he wanted on this contract, and it wouldn't shock me in the slightest if he requested a deal like this. He's just never struck me as someone who cared that much about the money.

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

They also let their (very good) GM walk because they got cheap, passed over the up and coming executive they considered the GM in waiting they already had on the payroll, gave the GM job to someone even a lot of actual NBA front office guys have reportedly never heard of, and at least some of the owner partnership has publicly questioned if the current head coach is the right guy for the job.

Somehow the future is still twice as bright as Detroit's.

Drafted talent I guess. Also lucking out on Giannis.

Note: Apparently Ball played like hot garbage in his debut, worse than you'd even expect, so that's a positive sign considering he's not facing top NBA talent yet.

1 hour ago, RandomAct said:

Been kicking this around in my head for a while. My strong theory is that Cuban is going to keep Dirk on the payroll somehow, LONG after he retires. As an ambassador, a made up front office position, shooting coach, SOMETHING. All the reports beforehand said that they'd give Dirk whatever he wanted on this contract, and it wouldn't shock me in the slightest if he requested a deal like this. He's just never struck me as someone who cared that much about the money.

It has to do with the cap I think. He had a really small deal two years ago, and they had cap space. Once they had lined up the team, they gave him the 1+1 $50 million deal with both sides knowing they'd never pick up the option.

Now his cap number or hold would've both been huge this offseason, so they'll sign this deal first to clear the salary space. I expect if he doesn't retire, they'll decline the option again, take advantage of the tiny cap hold, and then use Bird rights to give him another big payday.

He should demand to be traded to the Bucks and retire with us in his final half year to complete the cycle of shame of our crappy trade for Tractor Traylor. RIP

• Like 3

He became part of a Steve Nash deal and retired with the Magic. This is the last thing wikipedia has: As of 2009, he is taking classes at the Fuqua School of Business at Duke University.

Edit: He works in your team's front office. Was up for the Magic GM job.