DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

There was also the episode where Will vandalizes the desk but I don't know if that really counts. People ask me why I love Will Smith so much, it's not really because I love his film catalogue (although there's some good stuff there too) it's all about Fresh Prince...  I was young when Fresh Prince was on the air but looking back you can tell Will always had a superstar quality about him. His on-screen presence is ridiculous.

• Like 1

The special episode of Fresh Prince where Will's dad comes back still to this day gets to me and I'm 26. Fresh Prince really was good at that kind of thing without coming off as hokey or lame.

That scene at the end with Uncle Phil where he goes from the false bravado about not needing his dad straight to "why doesn't he want me" is quite possibly the best scene in the history of sitcoms.  Just so fucking raw and real.

(Granted, I went through something fairly similar when I was in high school when my dad suddenly started calling me and talking to me on a semi-regular basis for the first time in my life, and then after a couple months, just stopped again.  But, still...)

• Like 2

I don't totally remember how it went, but there was an episode of the Jeffersons in which George came into contact with an openly racist father and his adult son.  It ends with the father getting so deeply into his racist rantings that he has a heart attack and keels over.  George administers CPR / mouth-to-mouth and saves him.  The son then makes the babyface turn and thanks George for helping.  The father comes to, learns that George saved his life, then says to his son "YOU SHOULD HAVE LET ME DIE!!!!!"

Dude, you know that the racist heart-attack guy was the great James Karen, right?

And his kid who learns to love tiny black men ends up getting burned up by radiation in WRATH OF KHAN, right?

Go to 5:27 for the required audience "Oooooooohhhhhhhh......"

• Like 1

I don't totally remember how it went, but there was an episode of the Jeffersons in which George came into contact with an openly racist father and his adult son.  It ends with the father getting so deeply into his racist rantings that he has a heart attack and keels over.  George administers CPR / mouth-to-mouth and saves him.  The son then makes the babyface turn and thanks George for helping.  The father comes to, learns that George saved his life, then says to his son "YOU SHOULD HAVE LET ME DIE!!!!!"

Gimme a Break had a similar story line, where a racist is injured and needs blood, but it must be a specific type.  Nell has that type and gives a pint.  He wakes up and Nell decides to go see him--racism ensues.

Gimme a Break also had the ep where one of the girls put little Joey Lawrence in blackface for a talent show Nell was sponsoring because she was mad at Nell for punishing her. It was one of the first times I had heard the n-word when Nell told the girl that was she bascially calling Nell with the Al Jolson bit.

Gimme a Break. That show was kind of fucked up.

So the past few days have brought out a lot of rumors that AMC has ordered a pilot based on Preacher. Seth Rogen tweeted later that he was contacted by AMC about it. I can't even begin to think who he would play. Maybe one of the sex investigators?

He's not necessarily playing anybody in it. The rumor is that he and Evan Goldberg are producing it, which means they'll likely write the pilot and maybe direct it. Beyond that, who knows. It's difficult to see them signing up to run the show full-time.

You would think one of these networks would be looking to adapt the comic Scalped.

You mean Y: The Last Man....

A couple of months ago, the DC Chief put out the idea that DC maybe looking into doing a Sandman film series too.

I can't see Seth Rogen doing a Preacher television series without keeping the Arseface stuff in...which is unfortunate.  I'm not a fan.

Just take the country music stuff out, and it'll be fine. 

Really what makes me excited about the Rogen involvement is that they are obviously approaching the series with a comedic mindset. Which is exactly what Marvel Films failed to do when they developed the Ennis based Punisher films.

Ever since I read the complete Y The Last Man, I've said that would make a great tv series. Especially if they got it on an HBO or Showtime where they could push the envelope a little more.

And, hey, Ross's monkey from Friends could probably use the work. Those residuals can't last forever.

At one point, there was a Y movie in development, but I assume it wound up in hell.

They have been talking about a Sandman movie or tv show for literally decades.  One of these days, maybe it will be true.