DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

Last night in it's prime time slot, the ever dependable MeTv network ran a 1990 made-for-t.v. Perry Mason movie.  Now, the target demographic audience for that is women 75-94...so of course I DVR'ed that shit.

It was worth it for a fantastic scene of a secret poker game in Las Vegas featuring maybe the greatest collection of t.v. heels in one room ever.  The party included:

- Robert Culp

- Robert Vaughn

- Jere Burns (Wynn Duffy from JUSTIFIED and Anson Fullerton on BURN NOTICE)

- Kevin Tighe (AKA Locke's dad)

Plus two other guys I didn't recognize.

All just laying it on to out-smarm each-other until we find out which one gets murdered and which one made it happen.  It was magnificent.  I think Culp won.  But I'm a massive Culp mark.

Also I'm just now realizing that Kevin "Locke's dad" Tighe is the guy from EMERGENCY!  I watched the crap out of that show as a kid, I even had the board game...and I never caught that it was him.

Holy crap, this movie also has a scene of Barbara Hale, who played Perry Mason's secretary since 1957 comforting Lois de Banzie, who was playing Robert Culp's long-time secretary.  Two secretaries...played by two women with roughly 100 years of t.v. roles between them shooting the shit about what it's like to be stuck in the same part forever. 

....aaaand Harry "No, sir I am not Giancarlo Esposito" Lennix just showed up.  The casting director on this thing was on fire.

update:  Is that Non from SUPERMAN 2?  Holy fuck, that's NON FROM SUPERMAN 2!!!!!!!!!!!

If all that isn't enough, the girl from the Fred Savage/Nintendo Power Glove movie THE WIZARD is all over this.  She became the lead singer of Rilo Kiley. 

and now that the murder investigation is on, we get one-on-one scenes with all of the remaining heels.  They each get to show off their dickishness in full close up.  Locke's dad is hammering this.

The lesson here is watch the shit that old people watch.

JESUS CHRIST, THE LEAD ACTRESS FROM BOTH BREAKIN' and BREAKIN' 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO is supposedly in this movie somewhere! I am now scouring it, because I haven't seen her yet. 

YOU STAY ALIVE, SPECIAL K!  I WILL FIND YOU!  NO MATTER WHAT OCCURS I WILL FIND YOU!!!!!

• Like 1

Been watching Bob's Burgers this week (Comcast has all of season 3 available via On Demand).  It's actually funny.  Actually, it's consistently very funny.  I had no idea.  It's never looked like much to me, so I the only episode I've ever watched is the pilot.  Maybe.

Are seasons 1 and 2 as good?  'Cause if they are, I need to track down the season sets asap.

• Like 1

I gave Arsenio a try last night. I had heard it was a carbon copy of his previous show from the 80s. Took me a minute to find it as it isn't on Fox anymore, it's on CW. I was disappointed they had new music & new graphics instead of the iconic Arsenio signature graphic. I don't think this show is going to last that long. The monologue & segments therein were LAME and the blue curtain set looked really low budget. Arsenio himself still has a lot of presence & charisma but the content just wasn't there. Granted some of the disconnect could be due to me not getting "Black humor" but it seems like the genre has passed him by. 

Not to mention quite a few of his writers are simply dudes Leno got rid of this past year due to budget.

Been watching Bob's Burgers this week (Comcast has all of season 3 available via On Demand).  It's actually funny.  Actually, it's consistently very funny.  I had no idea.  It's never looked like much to me, so I the only episode I've ever watched is the pilot.  Maybe.

Are seasons 1 and 2 as good?  'Cause if they are, I need to track down the season sets asap.

I love Bob's Burgers.  Been watching them on Netflix and I think I'm about at the end of season 1, and I find it hilarious.  Like prime Simpsons level hilarious sometimes.

Last night in it's prime time slot, the ever dependable MeTv network ran a 1990 made-for-t.v. Perry Mason movie. Now, the target demographic audience for that is women 75-94...so of course I DVR'ed that shit.(...)If all that isn't enough, the girl from the Fred Savage/Nintendo Power Glove movie THE WIZARD is all over this. (...)

Jenny Lewis is her name. I had a thing for her when I was younger.
  • Like 1

I didn't bother setting my DVR for the Emmys because who has time for Hollywood wankfests when my time could be much better spent getting prickteased by the Steelers but this morning I watch highlights and see Nathan Fillion cameo'd during NPH's obligatory song-and-dance number so now I must downlo...er, find it through other means.

*hopes for a Captain Hammer reference*

Whoever thought up the "Tributes" sprinkled throughout the show for the In Memoiram thing, and then choose certain people to get special tributes needs to go, and they never need to do that ever again.  Fuck giving a tribute to Cory Montheith, while Larry Hagman, Roger Ebert, and Jack Klugman got the little blip treatment.  

• Like 4