DVDVR Message Board

NXT MARCH 2017 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

BTW - they definitely are airing the taped stuffed out of order because the Ohno/Roode match was literally the last thing they taped.

So I also wonder if this means not everything that was taped will make it to broadcast

Saw ProwrestlingSheet tweet out that Io Shirai was at the NXT tryouts and mentioned on a WWE.com article but the article was pulled and references to her were gone, so don't know if they're trying to make her a surprise signing.

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/io-shirai-wwe-tryout/#.WMm4HRIrJE4?platform=hootsuite

http://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/gallery/wwe-performance-center-tryout-march-2017-photos#fid-40092263

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

"Hey! Do you do custom lettering for 1991-92 New Jersey Nets jerseys? Extra small? You do? GREAT!" - Apparently what Kassius Ohno said when getting his new gear together.

That's obviously the 92 olympic dream team, come on.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

That's obviously the 92 olympic dream team, come on.

Yes, came in to say that. 

Asuka's video package was great.    I didn't love Roode vs. K.O. but it was okay.   Roode almost never clicks for me in-ring.  I find myself bored half the time.

I think Asuka's the same badass tweener she's always been, at least since she won the belt. She's still going to get cheered over Ember, who hasn't really caught on with the crowd outside of her finisher.

At this point, they'd be smart to have Asuka beat Ember at Orlando and head to the main roster undefeated. They've mostly kept Nikki out of Asuka's path, so she can pick up the vacant belt and they can build the division around her since she seems a little more "catchable" for the current crop. Then they can reload the division after the women's tournament in the summer. Asuka's just way too good for NXT right now and between the gigantic skill gap and language barrier, she's not even in a good position to help anyone get better. It'd be like sending Russell Westbrook to a Chinese amateur team for a year (to continue with the basketball references).

I haven't seen much of Ember. I'm going more off of word of mouth there, but generally speaking I've always found Asuka to be somewhat overrated. She is talented and can be great at times, but it was never on a consistent level. Even now I don't think she is better than any of the Horsewomen. NXT's problem is that they put her on way too high a pedestal.

I thought Hero/Ohno was getting into shape. When they announced him at 270 and him wrestling in that shirt tonight, If it's a thyroid thing, I got a thyroid thing. Those things suck.

Maybe it's because I'm not some Indy fan who's all OMG OMG about every guy that is signed from the Indy's, but I've never seen his appeal. What exactly is it that he does that Punk, Joe, Bryan, ect haven't.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I haven't seen much of Ember. I'm going more off of word of mouth there, but generally speaking I've always found Asuka to be somewhat overrated. She is talented and can be great at times, but it was never on a consistent level. Even now I don't think she is better than any of the Horsewomen. NXT's problem is that they put her on way too high a pedestal.

She hasn't really had the opponents either. Look, I'm not nearly as high on Bayley as most on here are but she's a good worker. Bayley and Asuka just don't mesh well. I thought Asuka's match with Mickie James was good, really good even. But other than that, she's been working Nia Jax, who I think she's gotten the best out of in their encounters (I seriously loved both of their big matches–way more than either Bayley match), and a lot of green girls or above average workers. Asuka is great but she isn't going to carry these green and less than stellar women, like Liv Morgan, to high end matches. She's not exactly easy to work with too because she's real squiggly like, moving in unorthodox manners and is a little unpredictable with her offense. It's fucking great to watch and I wish more people had that sort of uniqueness about their movements and attack (Muta/Mutoh may be the best at this) but it's a bitch to work with especially if you're not doing a house tour loop to get accustomed to. The problem is that once they promoted everybody, there was nobody remotely near Asuka's level both in kayfabe and in skill terms and therefore it's been pretty much squashes to certain degrees outside of the Mickie James match, which delivered. I think those two have a better match in them but it was still a quality match. I  haven't seen a tonne of Kana matches but I saw some of her in Shimmer and a handful or so of her matches in Japan and was really impressed with her. She's so slick but she needs a higher level of opponent. Ember Moon is a step in the right direction and I think they'll have a good match in Orlando. The brief moments of Nikki Cross vs. Asuka at the last takeover left me desperately wanting to see more. If Asuka is sticking around post-Mania, which all things point to, it would be nice if we could a legitimate Nikki Cross/Asuka match for the title should Ember Moon not win.

If you haven't seen it, here's Kana vs. SDR from Chikara in 2011. Great match with a great opponent.

Spoiler

• Like 2

I liked Mickie more in the Takeover match. I liked Nia more in the Osaka match. I think Sasha/Nia from Fastlane was better than any of Nia's NXT matches sans maybe the first Bayley match which is weird to me since I think Nia has gotten considerably better since then. Asuka's only noticeable match with Liv Morgan was a squash so I'm not really sure why she was brought up. Asuka's style is shoot with a mix of what she was doing before then which was somewhat standard joshi so I don't find her super unorthodox like Mutoh. Whats more she actually does do NXT tours so she is essentially doing house shows. Never saw her and SDR's Chikara match, but I did see their Shimmer match which was good but nothing amazing. You have to understand I'm getting most of what think of Asuka from her Japan work and what I've seen her of this last year and half in NXT. I haven't seen too much of her US indy work, but I can't see it making a big change in my opinion. She hasn't been given the best of opponents, but neither was Bayley who I felt did solid to good work with lesser opponents when she was champ. I think Asuka is good and can be booked better, but I don't think she is so much better than every other female talent in NXT. I think she would honestly have it worse on the regular roster as she would be either similarly screwed like Nia so the Horsewomen can remain the top talents or she would be on SDL trying to carry most of her opponents like Becky.

Macey was rocking the retro pin-up look but I hope the beat down leads her to redo the gimmick to something more like Leona.

Good match with Ohno but he seriously needs to borrow Jose's pants. I hope someone behind the scenes gives him some wardrobe advice :\

Can't wait to see what CFO$ does with Black.

7 minutes ago, turk128 said:

Can't wait to see what CFO$ does with Black.

For the purpose of authenticity, I'm hoping it includes absurd levels of distortion and blast beats. The font on his merch should be totally illegible, also.

Spoiler

i-have-a-new-black-metal-band-really-wha

• Like 5