DVDVR Message Board

MMMMM-Good!!! The Food Thread Returns

OSJ

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I was just about to ask "who the fuck eats ketchup with pasta" and now you have answered my question ? Seriously I have never heard of that anywhere, and this is a country where we put chili on top of spaghetti. 

Yeah, don't look at me, but it was pretty much standard when I was growing up. All the other kids did it, and probably stuck with it when they grew up. Growing up, the only pasta that was generally available in stores was macaroni and spagetti, if you were feeling fancy. I mean, you propably could get the others from some special stores in bigger cities, but not where I grew up. Macaroni was mostly used for beef casserole (probably not beef, either). Ketchup was standard with that.

• Like 1

Half Italian, wife is all Irish and also a vegetarian so we often plate without sauce unless it's vodka sauce which we both love equally... and almost always have bread sticks, not sure if that counts towards garlic bread.

Putting oil in the water sounds bizarre, never even considered that! That's what salt is for! Oil is for lightly tossing the drained pasta in so it won't get sticky.

I thought both the salt and the oil thing were discredited along with either cold or hot water initially put in the pot changing the cooking of the pasta. Maybe it was just the oil addition. 

On 2/5/2022 at 1:41 PM, Cobra Commander said:

seems like a meal that you make when you're running short on edible food

This reminds me of William Sadler eating ketchup and mustard combined together in a bowl in the movie Demon Knight haha

Edited by Curt McGirt

If y'all belong to Costco they have big jars of roasted hatch chiles for like $6 each. 

I've already made a bunch of dank-ass enchiladas and Ill probably throw a pork butt in the slow cooker with some this weekend.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2022 at 11:17 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I thought both the salt and the oil thing were discredited along with either cold or hot water initially put in the pot changing the cooking of the pasta. Maybe it was just the oil addition. 

This reminds me of William Sadler eating ketchup and mustard combined together in a bowl in the movie Demon Knight haha

Adding salt is purely for flavor, and an absolute must-do in this house. 

Got a drive to Arcadia, CA in a couple weeks, which is the home of the first Din Tai Fung (a high end chain of Taiwanese restaurants) location in the states. Doughboys reviewed it this week to perfect scores, so now I'm wondering if any of y'all have had it. Good stuff?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing a quick road trip with the fam in a couple of weeks. Landing in Nashville, driving to Memphis and then driving to Atlanta.  Does anyone have and restaurant recommendations for Memphis and Atlanta? Or any cool quick stops in Mississippi or Alabama on the road from Memphis to Atlanta?

6 hours ago, Infinit said:

I'm doing a quick road trip with the fam in a couple of weeks. Landing in Nashville, driving to Memphis and then driving to Atlanta.  Does anyone have and restaurant recommendations for Memphis and Atlanta? Or any cool quick stops in Mississippi or Alabama on the road from Memphis to Atlanta?

Only place I ate during a short overnight in Memphis was the Central BBQ location in the downtown area. Good ribs (to be expected of Mempis).

Edited by JLowe
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JLowe said:

Only place I ate during a short overnight in Memphis was the Central BBQ location in the downtown area. Good ribs (to be expected of Mempis).

My airbnb is actually right by there lol. Did you have any of the sides with your ribs?

My favourite takeaway is curry. Keema Saagh is what I get from the curry restaurant I go to. Yesterday there was a small festival with a stall that has a restaurant I've read good things about. I had curried goat, a first for me with chips and sauces squirted on. I went with that as it was the most popular dish by far. Right enjoyed it and will have to get something from said restaurant. Thought it funny eating goat and not that GOAT I always refer to in Bryan Danielson!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

Whoa that Nandos stuff looks great. 

Natural you've never had Chinese food before?! That's hard to comprehend given the amount of Chinese places we have all over the States, guess it isn't the same over the pond. 

...and you aren't missing out on Taco Bell ?

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

My wife used to work at the Bonchon that was in Baltimore.  The double fried chicken was outstanding with the rest being good as well.  Too bad the people that ran that didn't know what they were doing and closed one Thanksgiving day.  But I'm a sucker for Nando's and if there was ever one close to me now I'd maybe go there at least once a week.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Contentious C said:

There are Nando's all over the DC area.  I think they're a little too talked up, but pretty good.

If I'm going for "I can taste the tastiness in spite of the chemical burn I now have," I'd go with Bonchon over that.

I used to love Bon Chon's hot wings but, for some reason, the Bon Chon closest to me took a serious dive in quality.  Last time we got wings from there, you could tell they were old and had been refried to sell.  Just nasty.  So yeah, stay away from the Bon Chon in Germantown, MD.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Ooooooh gimme a half chicken from Nandos any day! There's VERY few in the states but I grab it whenever I see it ???

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Whoa that Nandos stuff looks great. 

Natural you've never had Chinese food before?! That's hard to comprehend given the amount of Chinese places we have all over the States, guess it isn't the same over the pond. 

...and you aren't missing out on Taco Bell ?

15 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

My wife used to work at the Bonchon that was in Baltimore.  The double fried chicken was outstanding with the rest being good as well.  Too bad the people that ran that didn't know what they were doing and closed one Thanksgiving day.  But I'm a sucker for Nando's and if there was ever one close to me now I'd maybe go there at least once a week.

I should try Nando's at some point so it's one to cross off and chicken has always been my favourite meat.

@Curt McGirt: Nope, never had Chinese. Wouldn't know where to begin. There's more Indian restaurants where I am than any other. Suits me as curry is my go to takeaway. Good to know I'm not missing out on Taco Bell!

My Sister hasn't had a Subway, Nando's, KFC, Sushi, Nandos, Taco Bell or Five Guys. Laura's the only person I know who has a peppers allergy. I had to run to my doctors for an emergency Epipen once for her.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Natural said:

should try Nando's at some point so it's one to cross off and chicken has always been my favourite meat.

@Curt McGirt: Nope, never had Chinese. Wouldn't know where to begin

These go perfectly hand in hand.  Chicken fried rice, the most basic Chinese food to start with.  Almost nobody can fuck up chicken fried rice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1