DVDVR Message Board

MMMMM-Good!!! The Food Thread Returns

OSJ

Last Sunday I did a chuck roast and a chuck steak in the crock pot. I added a can of Our Family sliced potatoes(4 oz), one can of OF sliced mushrooms(8 oz) and a sliced yellow onion. I cooked it on low for 5 hrs. After portioning it out in bowls there was quite a bit of liquid left over, so I added in a cup of Mahatma rice and crocked it for an hour or so. The whole thing was amazing(and there is still a bit to go) and goes to show that even a cheap(er) cut of meat can made to be so tender it melts like butter. I've outdone myself. When this is all gone it will be either crock pot chili or spaghetti. No idea which.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I never realized, until watching a random-ass episode of Basics with Babish, how easy it is to make your own tortillas for tacos and such.  So I just annihilated about 7 small tacos with the homemade shells - it's nice!  Probably not so great for my blood sugar, but that's a problem for 2 Hours in the Future Me.

• Like 2

Curry is my favourite takeaway by far. Yesterday I went to Aagrah for the £9.95 3 Course Buffet Lunch. You can get as many starters, main course and dessert as you want. Haven't had a 3 course meal since 2006. I stick to two normally, main and pudding. For starters I had: Chicken Tikka, Machi Masala, Chicken Wings, chips and mango chutney. Main: Balti Gosht, Karahi Chicken, Chicken Korma, Pilau Rice, chips, nann bread and mango chutney. Dessert: Chocolate mousse and square of chocolate cake. My bill came up to £15.50. Stupid Peroni pint!

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 5:29 PM, Contentious C said:

I never realized, until watching a random-ass episode of Basics with Babish, how easy it is to make your own tortillas for tacos and such.  So I just annihilated about 7 small tacos with the homemade shells - it's nice!  Probably not so great for my blood sugar, but that's a problem for 2 Hours in the Future Me.

We got into that show about less than a year ago.  It really opened my eyes as to what can actually be doable and I love when they take stuff from shows/movies and make it happen.  Considering I'm not the best at cooking one day I'm going to check out the basics videos and try and get good with stuff we like.

• 2 weeks later...

For me lately, the get-good has been pizza.  Another YouTuber I can highly recommend - especially if you like videos that are straight to the point, accessible regardless of your cooking level, and full of red meat recipes (which I can't eat anymore, but alas) - is Brian Lagerstrom.  He also has a good-sized pile of pizza videos, and I made my own dough for a Super Bowl pizza and I'm doing it again tomorrow (the dough is in the fridge fermenting right now!).  The first dough was super bready but it crisped up really well and was quite Pizza Hut in nature, which of course was 100% the intent of making a pan pizza with my cast-iron skillet.  I bought a Trader Joe's dough ball to make one on Wednesday as well, and while it turned out pretty well, I realized their dough needs a LONG time to proof before it's really usable - like 90 minutes or so in the pan to get it back to room temperature and let it rise, otherwise it doesn't actually fit a 12" pan like the packaging claims. 

Edited by Contentious C

And my continued Brian Lagerstrom-based food improvements have now made their way to homemade bread.  Holy crap.  His BLT video has a really nice recipe for simple, straight-ahead white bread with some good character to it.  The one disadvantage that's kind of an advantage to homemade bread is that it goes stale faster, so I keep thinking, "Hey, I'll get to make some awesome French toast with this!" And then...uh, it just doesn't last that long.  It's too tasty.  I've been hammering the grilled cheese sammiches in a way that would make my mother cringe (she loves them, I always used to think they were trash, and they are when your bread sucks!). 

Hell, a part of me just wants to make poolish every couple of days just so I can smell it for an hour or two.

• 1 month later...

Had a Naga Donner with chilli sauce on for tea. I get hot spicy food and that's the hottest thing I've ever eaten. Producing more snot than Heather from The Blair Witch Project (1999) which reminds me of THAT ending.

• Like 1

I did something last night almost by accident that went well: I fried eggs, over medium. Turns out I like them! Not much of a fan of runny yolks, so medium helps in that regard. Probably broke about a 25-year streak of only preparing them scrambled.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just polished of a Desi Keema Saagh, rice, chapatis, poppadom (on the house) and mango chutney for tea from Smoking Grill while watching the final day of the Premier League. Smoking Grill only started doing curries a fortnight ago. Curry is my favourite food. All that for £12, curry on its own is £14 from Shimla Spice. Smoking Grill do great curries, doners and burgers too, two minutes away from my house too. Curry chef kept praising me as a man of my word as I'd said I'd be there Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

Lately I've taken a strong liking to Bilinski chicken sausage. The best way I've found to fix it is in the microwave. Put the sausages in a bowl about half covered in water and heat for a few minutes. This way they cook fully but don't split. Also started doing the Our Family shells n cheese cups in the microwave. After they've heated and I'm stirring in the cheese sauce I also add a couple slices of any other cheese I have on hand. Let it sit for a few minutes and it's just as cheesy as any dad joke.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Went to Italiano's after swimming today. I tend to even though you gain the calories you burned in swimming. I normally go for the 12". I wasn't sure whether to go with the Bolognese pizza or the Chilli pizza, my two favourites so I went with the Combination pizza when you can choose 1/2 of one and 1/2 of the other. As I was walking home my bus was stuck in traffic so I sprinted to the stop and got it but had to navigate getting on and off a packed bus with a 12" pizza but it worked out. For the first time ever, I ate a 12" in one sitting and I'm stuffed.

• Like 1

it seems like this thread is supposed to be for GOOD food, but i'm going to take it in another direction. 

i'm kind of obsessive, and like to try all the flavors of Mountain Dew. So, naturally, i had to track down a bag of the Dew-flavored Doritos and give them a shot. Sure, they only released in Australia, and they expired in 2020, but how bad can they be?

https://youtu.be/fy69jpWiZOU

• Haha 3

• 3 months later...

DC specific:

This is kind of a genie in the bottle thing, but now that I'm forced back to the office three days a week instead of two, it's just sad to see all of the Ma and Pa and the older fast casual places that I relied upon didn't survive COVID. What's replaced it are a bunch of trendy fusion places which between how expensive it is to start a restaurant and inflation are general all feel about ten dollars more expensive per lunch than what they replaced. A lot of the food trucks are gone. A lot of the creature comforts I had (like the by the pound frozen yogurt places) tend to be gone. A few buffet places are still hanging on so you can get a high protein lunch relatively inexpensively in a pinch but it's all pretty depressing. If there were ten places I went to fairly regularly in 2019, maybe two are still there. 

• Sad 3

• 1 month later...

Over the winter I've taken to making slow cooker chili, and never the same way twice. Yesterday I pulled out the crockpot and dove into making some chili. I used a lb. of Mushroom & Swiss sausage, two cans of kidney beans, one can of diced tomatoes, elbow macaroni, a can of Tex-Mex Corn(corn with diced green and red peppers), a chopped Serrano pepper, and a packet of Spicy Kung Pao seasoning. It cooked for four hours with zero remaining liquid. I let it sit in the fridge for a few days before I get into it.

One nice thing about Walmart lately has been the display of $1 bottles of different types of sauces.

The week before I did the chili I put chicken breast, pork roast and sausage in the crock pot. After each was done I put teriyaki and mild bbq on the chicken, a bottle of Blues Hog Smoky BBQ on the pork roast and nothing on the sausage. SInce there was a tone of liquid left over I poured in a cup of Basmati rice and let it absorb all of the goodness of the pork and chicken. Almost an hour later and it was done with zero liquid left over. Crock pots make life a hell of a lot easier.

• Like 3

I was cracking eggs at work recently and decided to try a salt cured egg yolk. I did a wet cure using Frank's Red Hot and left it for two weeks. It came out awesome. I thought it might melt more with heat but it was more of a spreadable consistency. I put it on a burger for my coworkers and I. The last yolk I had left got spread onto a grilled cheese and that was amazing. It was like a creamy scrambled egg. I'm going to try a dry cure with cherry cola BBQ salt next.

Also, for Midwestern people, Vernors has a black cherry limited edition right now. It's REALLY good. 

• Like 3

My folks are ready to toss their crock pot and use a dutch over exclusively. I told them to use an egg timer with it like Alton Brown but they just say "so what he does everything different" and ignore me.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I’m of Irish descent I had to have at St. Patrick’s Day style dinner so I made my sister and I eggs, bacon and Irish style sausages I picked up from the international market. I had a Guinness with it. Perfect way to finish off St. Patrick’s Day.

• Like 2