DVDVR Message Board

MMMMM-Good!!! The Food Thread Returns

OSJ

Triple play

Turducken may be the greatest invention ever. 

I smoked one that I ordered online and served it over the summer for the 4th of July shindig and everyone lost their shit, so requests are flying in for me to prepare one so that the family can have it instead of the usual Thanksgiving turkey.

New traditions!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got the Starbucks holiday panini  (turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, gravey). Not bad but small and pricey. The Wawa gobbler is much better, but that goes without saying as the Wawa gobbler is mankind's greatest culinary achievement.

Last year we did two Thanksgiving dinners here, my niece from Alaska and her family were visiting so we did one with turkey and traditional Native American foodstuffs from AK that she'd had flown here (she and her hubby are loaded), so we enjoyed some dried seaweed and salmon, halibut and seal meat as side dishes. Dinner #2 was the turkey with Navajo side dishes, fry bread, mutton, etc. It was all good but just too much for us, this year, just the two of us, the cats and a huge piece of salmon. Mmmm, mmmm, good. Anyone that chooses turkey over salmon is foolish.

• 6 months later...
4 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I made some shrimp pico de gallo yesterday and had plenty of leftovers. So this morning I made breakfast tacos with it. 

Verdict: Better than oatmeal. 

Thank you for reminding me that I need to whip up some salt n' pepper shrimp before the shit gets freezer burn. (Note to self, next time don't buy six pounds even if it is a good deal.) ;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/25/2017 at 3:31 PM, OSJ said:

seal meat as side dishes. 

Cute loveable seals are like dogs of the sea so that's like eating a dog. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! I want a pet seal, high matinence but totally worth it!!!

45 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Cute loveable seals are like dogs of the sea so that's like eating a dog. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! I want a pet seal, high matinence but totally worth it!!!

If it's any consolation, it's really rich and oily, didn't care for it at all. Far as I'm concerned if you can have halibut, turbot, salmon and king crab by expending minimal effort, why would you fool with seals?

• Like 1

They are changing International House of Pancakes to International House of Burgers.  Who the fuck has even eaten a cheeseburger at an IHOP.  <_<     Do these fuckers go to Waffle House and ask for chicken tenders as well   <_<

• Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 1:58 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I made some shrimp pico de gallo yesterday and had plenty of leftovers. So this morning I made breakfast tacos with it. 

Verdict: Better than oatmeal. 

One of my favorite things to do with leftover Mexican food is huevos rancheros.  All you need to do is crisp up a tortilla in a skillet, top it off with the leftover taco filling and salsa and plop a fried egg on top.  It is one of the best breakfasts you'll ever eat.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

They are changing International House of Pancakes to International House of Burgers.  Who the fuck has even eaten a cheeseburger at an IHOP.  <_<     Do these fuckers go to Waffle House and ask for chicken tenders as well   <_<

Are you not supposed to put those on the waffles?

(I'm kidding I swear)

The funny bit about that is their claim that, "We want people to know we take our burgers as seriously as we take our pancakes." 

I think we already knew that. What we didn't know is how much they were shitting themselves on the quality of their pancakes.

About twice a decade I get nostalgic about pancake restaurants I went to as a kid and I go to IHOP. Then I eat an IHOP pancake and I remember I never went to IHOP as a kid, I went to Walker Bros in Wilmette, IL. That generally keeps me away from IHOP for another five years.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2018 at 8:46 PM, Contentious C said:

Can you deep-fry them outside? Or does that just shift the -5 stars to "Neighbors ate all my fucking onion rings"?

The smart thing to do is make some OSJ Salt N' Peppa Shrimp (recipe below) and share the dish with the neighbors; they will go home and not come back and you can make your onion rings or blooming onion in peace.

OSJ's Salt N' Peppa Shrimp or the Revenge of the Decapods

Ingredients:

For this dish you'll need

A dozen shrimp 16-20 ct (you can go a bit smaller if you have to, 20-25 ct, but if your grocery store doesn't have at least the latter size, just put the project off for another day.  

2 eggs

flour

panko breading

salt

pepper

Da Bomb (We are going to be very specific about this for two reasons, the taste which has a nice citrus/smoke thing going on and the heat, which at 120,000 Scoville Units gets this counted as a "food additive".) 

Sriracha (This is something that should be on every table like salt, pepper, & sugar. If you don't have some go get a bottle, we'll wait.)

Surgical gloves or baggies for your hands. This is a good habit to develop, particularly if you are cooking with spicy stuff like Da Bomb, you don't want that stuff getting on your skin and you damn sure don't want to get it in your eyes; if you do, go to the emergency room at once. You'll have to call 911 or have someone take you because you'll be blind and screaming, which are not optimum driving conditions. Also, don't go to the bathroom and handle your junk after working with a pepper extract, the skin on your hands will put up with stuff that the rest of your body won't. Just don't do it. Rolling around on the bathroom floor holding your package and screaming is no way to spend the afternoon or impress the ladies. Better to wear gloves and not have to worry about any of this. 

Vegetable oil

To begin, butterfly your shrimp, chances are if you got a package of frozen shrimp the heads are likely removed as is one of the two veins which is actually the intestine which is why we're doing the butterfly thing, (I'm not fond of shrimp poop.) If you don't know how to butterfly a shrimp, Google is  your friend.

Get about a cup of flour and mix in a tablespoon each of sea salt and fine ground black pepper, Yes, I know that's a fuck-ton of salt and pepper, this dish is all about extremes, it may even make you chant "E C Dub". Add about a half cup of panko breading and mix well. Set aside.

The wash: Get a good size soup bowl and fill it about 2/3 with water, add the two eggs and add around a third of a teaspoon of Da Bomb. Mix really, really well. This egg-wash is what's going to make your breading stick to the shrimp so this is important.

Okay, let's do this: Holding the shrimp by as small a surface area as possible without dropping the damn things dunk in the egg-wash and get it thoroughly covered, dip into the flour/panko mix and get a good coating on it. Place on plate to rest. Repeat process until all shrimp have been breaded. Put plate of shrimp in the fridge while you heat oil to 350 degrees or thereabouts. How do you know the temperature without a thermometer? Simple, when you flick in a drop of water and it hisses and spits like Naito facing Tanahashi it's ready. Now don't skip the step about putting the shrimp in the fridge, leaving the plate on the counter won't do at all. We want ice-cold batter hitting hot oil, it seals the batter closed on the shrimp and makes for a perfect golden color. Cook your shrimp two at a time, more than that will cool down the oil and you don't want that. 

When all are cooked arrange on a plate and paint a thin red line on each shrimp with Sriracha. This is a decoy, anyone can handle Sriracha, that's what your neighbors will taste first before they experience Da Bomb in all its ghost pepper glory. The poor bastards will probably gulp down water, soda, or beer... That only makes it worse. Cold milk helps. Now don't get me wrong, these are actually very good, but it helps to know that you have a hot food experience coming, straight out of the blue is not the way to enjoy these. Anyway, the neighbors will go home, may not speak to you for a week or so, but you can now make your onion rings in peace. Oh, here's the other thing about the ice-cold batter, it seals the taste in and keeps your oil clean enough to use for other items without imparting a fishy taste. Do strain out any excess batter that's floating around, (you shouldn't need me to tell you that.) Finally, always make your onion rings last, ice-cold batter does a lot of good things, but it can't work miracles. Onion taste is always going to escape and permeate the oil imparting an onion taste to everything that's cooked afterwards. Mrs. OSJ made fish and chips after I made onion rings and was all about "the oil's still clean, I'm not going to be wasteful!" Shit tasted nasty, let me tell you...

Anyway, enjoy your shrimp and rings, the perfect appetizers to chow down on as you watch Pete Dunne or Naito kicking the stuffing out of someone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think I'm particularly dour or grim,  or lack a sense of fun-loving, but I cannot for the life of me see how, in a world where little kids and babies starve and die in their mothers' arms seeing some pudgy, pasty-faced fuckhead shove a bunch of hot dogs down his gullet is entertaining or admirable. Now if he wants to do this with hot dogs that are right at their expiration date or past it (and let's face it, grocery stores allow themselves plenty of wiggle-room when it comes to expiration dates. For meat, you might as well add two weeks to whatever the expire date is and you'll be fine. 

Anyway, let's have these contests using food that's about to get tossed anyway, to my way of thinking that's the only possible way to justify these gluttony contests, though I will confess to a certain morbid curiosity as to how many hot dogs Mr. Chestnut and his fellow competitors can shove up their asses in ten minutes...

1 hour ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Made ropa vieja with patacones last weekend 

p_Pck5du.jpg

Ropa Vieja is one of those things I eat maybe once every 3 years, but it's always delicious.  I need to run to the store on the way home...I might have to grab some flank steak.

• 1 month later...

i am posting this from a Cracker Barrel. it's my first visit.

what the fuck is happening here? why is there a trashy gift shop in the front of the restaurant? why does everything come with grits? I'm in northern Illinois, nobody eats that here. why are they presenting themselves as "down home southern" but have less than mediocre service?

i'm not upset, just very confused. also, this place is out of the way but inexplicably packed.

UPDATE:

grits are tasteless and unenjoyable. the food is mediocre. the service was abysmal. left without paying, as the waitress ignored me for over half an hour. will not be back again.

23 hours ago, twiztor said:

i am posting this from a Cracker Barrel. it's my first visit.

what the fuck is happening here? why is there a trashy gift shop in the front of the restaurant? why does everything come with grits? I'm in northern Illinois, nobody eats that here. why are they presenting themselves as "down home southern" but have less than mediocre service?

i'm not upset, just very confused. also, this place is out of the way but inexplicably packed.

UPDATE:

grits are tasteless and unenjoyable. the food is mediocre. the service was abysmal. left without paying, as the waitress ignored me for over half an hour. will not be back again.

The only things I eat from Cracker Barrel are the pancakes and hashbrown casserole.  Everything else including the eggs are hit or miss.