DVDVR Message Board

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 SINGLE PLAYER

RIPPA

I was shocked how quickly it installed. It would have been even quicker if I hadn’t fallen asleep before I had to swap discs 

Still need to install the preorder bonuses

Apologies if this was covered elsewhere, but I found an article on The Guardian about the absurd level of detail they put into RDR2. How absurd?

Spoiler

(I)f you are riding a male horse, its testicles shrink in the cold.

"Gentlemen, your homework for the weekend is..."

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

Apologies if this was covered elsewhere, but I found an article on The Guardian about the absurd level of detail they put into RDR2. How absurd?

Hide contents

(I)f you are riding a male horse, its testicles shrink in the cold.

"Gentlemen, your homework for the weekend is..."

How'd you like to be the people who had to develop that for a month.

Me and the guys in line with me last night were joking about the poor saps who bought the RDR2 PS4 Bundles.

Little do they know how many system updates they were gonna have to run before even getting to install the game...

• Like 1

I'm pleasantly surprised by how well this runs on a standard PS4.  It doesn't even sound like a Harrier taking off when you start it up.

I only got to play about 45 minutes last night and it definitely feels like more Red Dead, which is exactly what I wanted.

My only problem so far is that I haven't played the original in so long that I have no idea which of these characters I'm supposed to recognize outside of John.

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Me and the guys in line with me last night were joking about the poor saps who bought the RDR2 PS4 Bundles.

Little do they know how many system updates they were gonna have to run before even getting to install the game...

Hey, out of the box PS4's are only *checks notes* 6 versions behind... ok, yeah, they got some waiting.

Watching the first couple hours or so of this last night on twitch, it felt unlike any other Rockstar game of the past. I mean that in a good way. Like, I'm someone that 100% thinks a fair criticism of Rockstar is post GTA-3 they've done relatively little actual creative work and just made a few billion on "reskinning the mayhem factory". This game... is not that, certainly at the start. Looked special.

Everything feels weighty and deliberate and holy crap am I loving it. Got to Chapter 2 and dicked around town for a bit, but I had to quit lest I just keep playing all day. Got places to be later and boy, do I wish I could cancel those plans. 

• Like 1

These more modern Rockstar games always start very slow. This one, because of all the systems layered on top of one another, starts slower than most and is about as slow as the first RD Redemption game.

Spoiler

So I made my own fast start by trying to clap a bear that Charles wanted to sneak around. 

In truth, I accidentally shot at him with my shotgun while pulling it out, but same thing.

Charles was freaking the fuck out and being useless while I put pellets in that bear's head. Felt great!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

My only problem so far is that I haven't played the original in so long that I have no idea which of these characters I'm supposed to recognize outside of John.

This

My wife is asking me all these questions and I am like "fuck I don't remember shit. Just ask me about John and Abigail"