DVDVR Message Board

NFL OFF FIELD ISSUES

RIPPA

Even better for Jimmy.  His contract with the Raiders includes a provision that voids the guaranteed years if he's popped for a PED violation.  So he just cost himself $11.25m in guaranteed salary and handed a gift to the Raiders, who can now cut him without any cost to them.

6 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Imagine how bad he'd be without performance enhancers.

If he decided to fight this, that could be his defense.

”Your honor, I refer you to Exhibit A: my client’s entire season. Now, could any reasonable person say that this performance was enhanced?”

• Haha 2

Q: How many random non-pro athletes does it take to win a fight with Cam Newton?

A: Apparently more than 4.

(If you haven't seen the video, Cam appears to be attacked by four men. He tossed one of them off the platform thing they were standing on, wrapped one arm around a second, grabbed a third by the hair, and no sold multiple punches by a fourth like he was early days Undertaker, until security broke it up.)

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Q: How many random non-pro athletes does it take to win a fight with Cam Newton?

A: Apparently more than 4.

(If you haven't seen the video, Cam appears to be attacked by four men. He tossed one of them off the platform thing they were standing on, wrapped one arm around a second, grabbed a third by the hair, and no sold multiple punches by a fourth like he was early days Undertaker, until security broke it up.)

One guy runs up, gets a full wind-up and DRILLS Cam in the face with a punch that ... Cam doesn't even acknowledge.  It's 1-on-4 and there's not even a glimmer of a moment where Cam looks like he's in trouble.

• Haha 1

I have never even heard of anyone being anywhere near Cam Newton without thinking that Cam is the largest person they've ever seen. People who have been covering sports for 30 years all have the same reaction. LeSean McCoy while discussing the fight said,  "I just saw him at the Super Bowl, and I had forgot just how big he is." Spencer Hall who spends his life covering college football said,  "I know Cam Newton isn't the largest person I've ever met,  but Cam Newton is the largest person I've ever seen." Bomani Jones said something to the effect of,  "if you heard a 7 year old upon seeing Cam Newton say, "who is that big motherfucker over there?" You would not be surprised that he cursed,  you'd be surprised that a child so young knew the correct technical term." I say all of that to ask,  "why do you think you can beat up Cam Newton?"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, supremebve said:

I have never even heard of anyone being anywhere near Cam Newton without thinking that Cam is the largest person they've ever seen. People who have been covering sports for 30 years all have the same reaction. LeSean McCoy while discussing the fight said,  "I just saw him at the Super Bowl, and I had forgot just how big he is." Spencer Hall who spends his life covering college football said,  "I know Cam Newton isn't the largest person I've ever met,  but Cam Newton is the largest person I've ever seen." Bomani Jones said something to the effect of,  "if you heard a 7 year old upon seeing Cam Newton say, "who is that big motherfucker over there?" You would not be surprised that he cursed,  you'd be surprised that a child so young knew the correct technical term." I say all of that to ask,  "why do you think you can beat up Cam Newton?"

Cam is a huge human being.  I'm a big guy myself.  The first time stood next to Mark Rypien, was immediately struck by how BIG he is.  Like, significantly larger than me.  And Cam is bigger than Rypien.  I didn't have that same reaction when I was near Richard Fox, the former Gonzaga player, and that guy is 6'10" or more.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tabe said:

Cam is a huge human being.  I'm a big guy myself.  The first time stood next to Mark Rypien, was immediately struck by how BIG he is.  Like, significantly larger than me.  And Cam is bigger than Rypien.  I didn't have that same reaction when I was near Richard Fox, the former Gonzaga player, and that guy is 6'10" or more.

I met James Harrison once, and I'm pretty sure he is the most physically imposing person possible.  Cam Newton is 6 inches taller and 20 lbs. heavier.

• Like 1

Jerry Jones is evidently caught up in a paternity suit with a 27-year-old.

Thankfully for those of us not in possession of copious amounts of brain bleach, the suit alleges he is the 27-year-old's father, not the father of her child. 

On 2/29/2024 at 1:33 AM, Tabe said:

Yeah there's a difference between tall and big.

When I stood basically next to Rhyno I was absolutely stunned just how fucking big he was. He's about the same height as me, give or take, but his shoulders and chest were as big as a guy wearing football shoulder pads. Not modern lightweight small shoulder pads either, but like 1990's shoulder pads. He is just wide, and I don't mean fat. Just his frame from shoulder to shoulder...

(Although tall is also a thing. One of the only times in my life since late high school that I've felt legitimately short was standing next to former NBA player Tim Thomas. There was also once a wedding I attended where I met the bride's 7' older brother and that was just a real "damn" moment.)

• Like 1

During the Baltimore Comicon one year, I was staying in the Hilton, which is connected to the convention center and across from Camden Yards and the football stadium. The Ravens were hosting Cincinnati on Sunday and I was in the elevator going to the lobby and we stopped going down and 3 of the Bengals linemen got In and were just massive human beings. Surprised everyone fit in there.

I think the strangest moment I've had with meeting an athlete was when I met Clinton Portis. I remember looking at him and thinking, "were about the same size," then I looked at his forearm while he was signing something and it looked like the muscles in his forearm were replaced by steel cables. I'm about 5'7 and can be in damn good shape at about 200 lbs. I'm not tall,  but I'm a big strong guy. Portis looked like he could ball me up and shoot me like a fake jumpshot.

Edited by supremebve
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Look at The Bus' hand. Freaking MASSIVE.

The Bus has that Ryhno style of wideness, but he's a little bit taller and a good bit wider, both are super nice guys too!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

Look at The Bus' hand. Freaking MASSIVE.

That looks like an AI hand. Good grief. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Jerry Jones is evidently caught up in a paternity suit with a 27-year-old.

Thankfully for those of us not in possession of copious amounts of brain bleach, the suit alleges he is the 27-year-old's father, not the father of her child. 

Thank God. I am sure he is only shooting dust out of that thing by this point

5 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Thank God. I am sure he is only shooting dust out of that thing by this point

That’s what Al Pacino and Robert De Niro thought they were shooting!

All these stories about meeting big guys makes me wish I could find the picture my friend and I took with the Giant back when he debuted with WCW. Yes, I'm a short woman, but good lord his hand was like the size of my entire shoulder blade.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JLSigman said:

All these stories about meeting big guys makes me wish I could find the picture my friend and I took with the Giant back when he debuted with WCW. Yes, I'm a short woman, but good lord his hand was like the size of my entire shoulder blade.

I got to meet Andre back in the late 80s and I've never been able to get over the size of his hands.

Had an 8x10 signed and his hand covered covered the entire thing with ease.

And for the people that mentioned Rhyno, I still think there's 2 normal sized wrestlers inside that skin suit.

• Like 2

My cousin Christine's college roommate at Michigan State was some sort of relation to The Sheik, and Christine told me about seeing a baby picture of her sitting in Andre's palm.

23 hours ago, JLSigman said:

When I was in college, a friend and I were at the mall in Champaign. We went into whatever Sam Goody to Sam Goody-like record store the had there at the time. The clerk ran up to us as soon as we walked in, and said, “Do you guys watch wrestling?!!?” We said yeah. He said do you know who The Giant is? I remembered that WCW had a house show in town that night. Clerk went on to tell us how The Giant had just been in there. Said when he shook hands with him, his hand engulfed his whole forearm. I asked the clerk, what did he buy? “The City of Angels soundtrack.” Paul must’ve loved him some Goo Goo Dolls. 

• Haha 5

Former Michigan and various NFL teams WR Braylon Edwards apparently saved an elderly man from being beaten to death in the locker room of a gym.

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-nfl-player-braylon-edwards-helped-stop-locker-room-attack-on-80-year-old-man-200114530.html

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

A Missouri hospital is reporting that they've had to do multiple amputations for fans who attended the Miami-KC playoff game.