DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2013: WEEK 2

RIPPA

I don't know.  They're starting to go down a slippery slope for hitting.  Can't hit high--concussion.  Can't hit low--blow out a knee.  It doesn't matter if the hit player moved in such a way as to where specific contact couldn't have been avoided. Suh's past did him in here, but in isolation--I'm not sure how this is supposed to work.

Well, they banned peel back blocks several years ago.  This was a borderline peel back, though not quite.

They added the low blocks outside the pocket thing this year. 

It isn't Suh's past doing him in here.  It's that he hit a defenseless lineman 7 yards behind the play with a shot to the knees from the side.  What he needed to do was hit the guy in the shoulder, which may still have been illegal, or recognize the situation and not hit him at all.

Giants sign Jacobs, per Adam Schefter.

I am sadly excited about this.

Of course - in 3 weeks when he fails to convert a 4th and 1, I will will start having Nam like flashbacks

Coach Rivera - of #fireronrivera - says the Panthers gameplan on Sunday was too conservative.

In other Panthers news of similar obviousness, Weinke's not the QB anymore. It'll be interesting to see what less conservative means this week against the Bills. A close loss to Seattle is one thing, a loss to the hapless Bills would be pretty bad.

Even if Carolina only wins two games this year, at least it will be fun ranting about it on the board. One good thing to take out of the Seattle game is that we almost beat Seattle with a conservative gameplan. Maybe good things are in store by opening up the playbook.

Philadelphia's offense was amazing to watch Monday night. It will be interesting to see if teams can find a way to slow that juggernaut down, or if Philly will find ways to shoot themselves in the foot. There are still kinks in the new system, but they may be a force come the drive to the playoffs.

I don't think they sustain it for a full season. Besides general fatigue, there's more opportunity for someone to hit and ultimately injure Vick and McCoy.

They don't even get a bye week until Week 12. That's a lot of plays between now and then.

For all the talk of how awesome the Eagles offense was, and it was certainly fun early on, let's bring things back to reality: they gained 443 yards, a nice number but hardly earth-shattering.  They scored 33, again a good number, but only the 5th most in the NFL this past week.  And when things got a little tight, the offense disappeared.

I'm a big Chip Kelly fan, love what he was able to do over in Eugene, but it's not like they gained 700 yards and scored 50.

I thought the schedule makers weren't kind to the Eagles giving them 3 games in 11 days to start the season. If they can keep from getting worn out it is a potential advantage I suppose. That 3rd game against the Chiefs on Thursday night should be interesting for that reason. There is also the whole Andy Reid coaching them thing as well.

I don't know.  They're starting to go down a slippery slope for hitting.  Can't hit high--concussion.  Can't hit low--blow out a knee.  

Next it'll be broken ribs. And then football will be played in these:

Posted Image

Should I be concerned that I can't distinguish between surprised Eric Catman face and boobs?

It sounds as if I am lost in the lights regarding the Eagles offense. It will be interesting to see how things play out over the course of a season much longer than college, and that late bye date is rough.

I thought the schedule makers weren't kind to the Eagles giving them 3 games in 11 days to start the season. If they can keep from getting worn out it is a potential advantage I suppose. That 3rd game against the Chiefs on Thursday night should be interesting for that reason. There is also the whole Andy Reid coaching them thing as well.

To be fair, they went from 80 to 10 midway through the 3rd.I am convinced any of the NFC West teams could win the AFC East. Maybe the AFC North too.

It sounds as if I am lost in the lights regarding the Eagles offense. It will be interesting to see how things play out over the course of a season much longer than college, and that late bye date is rough.

Hey, enjoy it while it lasts, and if it lasts a long time, even better. It's certainly a fascinating experiment that I'm eager to watch unfold.

I think I'm most interested in seeing how quickly, if it all, these O-Line guys deteriorate. That's some big bodies to be moving so fast and lots of up and downs on those knees. It feels like the kind of offense that really requires lots and lots of young bodies to work. How old are the O-Line guys?

And in the Sunday Night game, two SB favorites battle it out in the Clink. Loser loses an eyebrow?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23575192/russell-wilson-colin-kaepernick-bet-shaved-eyebrow-on-seahawks-49ers

San Francisco had better win.  The face of dear Kaepy must remain untouched! (though Wilson is quite adorable in his own right)

And in the Sunday Night game, two SB favorites battle it out in the Clink. Loser loses an eyebrow?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23575192/russell-wilson-colin-kaepernick-bet-shaved-eyebrow-on-seahawks-49ers

San Francisco had better win.  The face of dear Kaepy must remain untouched! (though Wilson is quite adorable in his own right)

It'll grow back. Hopefully in time for the next Hawks/Niners game. 'Kaepy' will be alright with one eyebrow.

An Eyebrow hardly seems sufficient for the blood feud that the "What's Your Deal?" Bowl seems to have become.

At the very least I'm thinking a Yakuza-esque loss of finger for the failure of losing.

• Like 1

The rivalry between Harbs and Pete is hilarious but for me the Seahawks are still behind the Rams on the "fuck them" list.

Yeah the Rams should be the traditional rival of the 49ers and they are in the since they've played each other twice a year since 1950 and thus it's as close to a Packers/Bears ANCIENT RIVALRY thing as either team could ever have...

...but it's just not the same with them not being the Los Angeles Rams anymore.  If they moved back, though....

For all the talk of how awesome the Eagles offense was, and it was certainly fun early on, let's bring things back to reality: they gained 443 yards, a nice number but hardly earth-shattering. They scored 33, again a good number, but only the 5th most in the NFL this past week. And when things got a little tight, the offense disappeared.I'm a big Chip Kelly fan, love what he was able to do over in Eugene, but it's not like they gained 700 yards and scored 50.

I understand the stats youre throwing out but they don't portray the actual situation. Nearly all of that was in the first half. They didnt slow down in the second half because they were ineffective but because they were up 33-7 and you tend to go into a different mode of play when you're protecting a lead. If the game was closer i do believe they'd have gained those kind of yards and put up those points.
  • Like 1

Are there any suicide picks that anyone is leaning toward this week? 

The only game that jumps out at me as a guaranteed victory is Atlanta over St. Louis, and even that is questionable. I don't want to be a mark by taking the Eagles over the Chargers, but jeez that Chargers MNF game is tough to ignore.

Picking games in the first three weeks of the season sucks.