DVDVR Message Board

RAW is UNIVERSALLY AWESOME

Niners Fan in CT

Sasha Banks is the new WWE Women’s Champion. This didn’t happen at WrestleMania XXXII as expected or SummerSlam 2016 but now. I can see why it happened here wanting the first post WWE Draft RAW/the New Era to be memorable. The two had a great match, Sasha’s landing on the Suicide Dive made me wince and put my hands to my head. Jesus that was nasty.

Finn Balor did very well in NXT. The longest NXT Champion in history so you knew WWE liked him. We didn’t know how much. Top five pick in the WWE Draft 2016 and on Balor’s main roster debut on RAW wins a Fatal Four Way match against Cesaro/Kevin Owens/Rusev and beat Roman Reigns clean in the same night will wrestle Seth Rollins to crown the first WWE Universal Champion at SummerSlam. Hope we get to see the belt before that having always had an interest in the way belts look.

In the Battleground 2016 thread, I said its rare Roman Reigns loses cleanly. Reigns jobbed without interference/shenanigans to Seth Rollins at Money in the Bank 2016, Dean Ambrose at Battleground 2016 and Finn Balor at RAW. Reigns was pinned in the classic Wyatt vs. Shield Elimination Chamber 2014 match but it was 3 on 1.

What the shit, WWE.  I didn't fast forward that show once.  I'm gonna pay for it at work tomorrow. 

Fantasy booking the Mr Universe title: I know WWE is way too safe to turn Finn heel but I'd love to see the Club interfere in the title match and get him the win and then Finn can Naito the title all over Raw for weeks.

57 minutes ago, bink_winkleman said:

Worst title name all-time.

Other than that, maybe the best Raw in like 15 years.

You don't remember the Western States title ? Now that was an awful name for a title.

I'm sure when the actual belt is revealed, the neckbeards will have something to complain about, too. (Not saying you're one of them...)

Oh, and inherently bad person Vince Russo said Finn beating both Roman and Rusev is the "nail in the coffin " for him. Too bad it's not his actual coffin.

• Like 2

It doesn't roll off the tongue like the ICW/ICWA Texarkana Television Championship did.

So if Gallows & Anderson come out to align themselves with Balor, that would make him a heel by default and depending on the circumstances make Rollins a face?

• Like 1

The only real problem I have with the Universal Title is that it would have worked better if all of the World Title, Tag Titles and Women's Title ended up on Smackdown and Raw had Stephanie announcing while her brother had the World Titles, she had the Universal Titles and the Universe is bigger than the world.

I don't mind the name of the title. It's more important how they handle it and if we get more shows like tonight then fuck yeah.   I'm very interested to see what happens with SD! also. It's a thinner roster but that will give guys a chance to elevate themselves and it's only two hours.  It's the writers from NXT who have always done a great job handling an hour program. Now they have an additional hour but a bigger roster than they had down there. If they can book the show as well as they did with NXT I think everyone will love it.

• Like 1

Did the WWE also revamp creative as well? This show was amazing. Aside from the little filler spots, though I'm just picturing one of the younger writers trying to explain Pokemon Go to Vince and how people run out into traffic to catch monsters they can only see on their phone and the bewildered look he must have had on his face.

That match Charlotte and Sasha had. Was that so hard to let them have the other women have a match like that all along during this revolution thing? I'm so glad Sasha won. The rematch is going to be amazing. Sasha/Charlotte will be the women's Flair/Steamboat. Too bad they would never give them an hour 2/3 falls match though.

I was amazed at how well the commentary was tonight. I mean Cole said professional wrestling and he read off all of Finn's pro championship wins. NWA Ireland got a mention. They finally made a star on the first night and Finn vs. Seth will be an amazing match. I suspected Roman might have been losing just because of the pissy look he had on his face when the match started. But when it happened I was like HOLY SHIT I couldn't believe it. Build Reigns back up. You turn him into this entitled type of guy and he will be a huge heel. But if you keep him the same way he is now, he'll be sunk.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

It's fun to read the thread and see the people that will not be happy with anything.

I woke up this morning thinking "Well people might not the quality of the matches for whatever reason but clearly the new structure of this RAW has to be appealing" and then it was immediately FUCKING HELL!!! I HAVE TO SUFFER THROUGH ROLLINS/BALOR AT SUMMERSLAM!!!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Peck said:

For those wondering, Braun's jobber James Ellsworth is "Pretty" Jimmy Dream. Works a lot in Maryland.

https://twitter.com/pjimmydream

DON'T SHOW THEM HOW THE SAUSAGE IS MADE! 

Was hoping that clip Odessa put up had Terry's promo after he won the title. "What's bigger than the world? The universe, that's right!" 

• Like 1

First things first; the name of the title is shitty. 

Other than that, what a great show. I didn't fast forward at all, I was interested in everything, everybody laid their shit in nice and stiff, commentary was professional, and Balor pinning Roman CLEAN was a shocker. 

Also, love that jobber that was fed to Strowman. I really liked his strategy of going in there without a chin so Braun couldn't rip it off. It didn't pay off but you've gotta take risks. 

52 minutes ago, Pete said:

DON'T SHOW THEM HOW THE SAUSAGE IS MADE! 

Was hoping that clip Odessa put up had Terry's promo after he won the title. "What's bigger than the world? The universe, that's right!" 

I looked quickly. Also tried to find the Cowboy retiring the North American belt and unveiling the UWF belt.