DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

The people who listen to new rock don't listen to radio stations. They listen to internet radio, Grooveshark, Spotify, Pandora. My dad has no desire to ever figure out any of those. I expect most in his generation are fine with that.

speaking of how dead rock is, here's new songs from The Men!

This one's called Another Night

This one's called Different Days

And if you missed it they also put out this one, called Pearly Gates

And here's an in-studio radio performance of another one, called Settle Me Down.

goddamnit i need this record

EDIT: for a fun reminder, here's what they sounded like in 2010, back when they were a three piece band

• Like 2

New Sun Kil Moon is out and it's good.  I think 'Ben's My Friend' is already one of my favourite Mark Kozelek songs ever, in which he complains about not being as famous as his friend Ben Gibbard (of Death Cab For Cutie and The Postal Service fame), worries about his mother, has a middle-aged moment and croons increasingly ridiculous phrases like "blue crabcakes" and "sports bar shit" and then there's some "ba-bas" and it's amazing and then sax comes in and it's the best thing I've heard in forever.

I haven't listened to Jedi Mind Tricks in years, and I recently got back into them. I listened to a few different songs at random on Youtube, and one of them really struck me as pretty amazing.

If you havent heard this before, you really REALLY need to listen to it. I can't come up with the words to describe how awesome R.A. the Rugged Man is. He is telling the story of his father during the Vietnam War and what happens afterwards, It's gripping. 

This entire (pretty good) Beatles special is justified by that amazing John Legend/Alicia Keyes Let It Be performance. Holy shit

I thought the John Mayer/Keith Urban thing was better than expected. I like Mayer more than most, but I had forgotten that Urban is a pretty good guitar player.

Also, if you're into Band of Horses at all, I highly recommend their Acoustic at the Ryman live album that released yesterday. That venue was built for their sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZscWmIizzw

The first single from the upcoming new album from THE MENZINGERS. Their last album, On The Impossible Past, is one of the best albums of the past two decades and I'm not lying to you about this. This song RULES so much. Them and The Hold Steady are waging war for the hearts and souls of rock dorks everywhere.

I will always love this board for introducing me to Devin Townsend. Back in my lurker days, I came across the metal thread where someone posted a song by him and I was intrigued. Went down the youtube rabbit hole and got hooked.

Because this is a wrestling message board, I can only assume that everyone agrees with me that the greatest song ever written is Badstreet USA. While the Michael Hayes version is glorious and probably can't be topped, I pose the question: Which of your favorite bands would do the best cover of Badstreet USA? 

For the record, my first thought was Swans, but someone on facebook/twitter suggested Tom Waits. He might be the front runner so far. 

Because this is a wrestling message board, I can only assume that everyone agrees with me that the greatest song ever written is Badstreet USA. While the Michael Hayes version is glorious and probably can't be topped, I pose the question: Which of your favorite bands would do the best cover of Badstreet USA? 

For the record, my first thought was Swans, but someone on facebook/twitter suggested Tom Waits. He might be the front runner so far. 

The Replacements

• Like 1

The Replacements

I'd want to hear the Mats version, but it would have to be live in a tiny bar and Westerberg would have to be obliterated drunk. No polished studio versions allowed. Maybe a medley with Badstreet, Louie Louie and Gary's got a Boner as an encore that no one but me would like. 

• Like 1