DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

I visited Milwaukee over the summer on a Great Lakes field trip. I had no idea what to expect. I certainly wasn't expecting it to be my favorite city not named Philadelphia. It's such an awesome place -- the locals there who didn't leave for greener pastures in Chicago or elsewhere love it so much; they eat an unhealthy amount of grotesque foods; their sports tailgate scene is legit and it's shockingly beautiful (since it's on Lake Michigan). If I was a younger man I would totally move there.

Anyways, the great Aimee Mann and Ted Leo collaborated on a song called MILWAUKEE, hence my rambling lede paragraph. It's really worth a listen and is a great song.

Teenage Fanclub's Bandwagonesque ---> Thirteen ---> Grand Prix is a pretty great three album stretch. Then again, not everyone listens to or knows of the band so I guess it's a bit of an odd contribution here.

Huge Teenage Fanclub err fan here. I love Bandwagonesque so much. I got that album sophomore year in high school via that Columbia House scam. Also along with it was The Lemonheads "It's A Same About Ray." I ended up being way more into punk growing up but in my advanced age I've grown a real appreciation for power-pop. Those two albums (and Matthew Sweet's "Girlfriend") were such a great introduction into that genre.

Also, here's a fun-fact/opinion: Teenage Fanclub was the musical guest on the episode of Saturday Night Live hosted by Jason Priestly. I'm not kidding when I say that episode is, top-to-bottom, the best episode of SNL in its history. I'm not alone in that opinion, either, in the comedy nerd community.

• Like 2

In news that like 3 people on this board will understand

Captain & Tennille are getting divorced

As cool as The Captain gimmick was when I was a kid, it was a waste of an already awesome name.  Guy's real name is Daryl Dragon.  If someone told you that was their name, you'd tell them to stop fucking with you.

His father was a Dragon, too. And he doesn't have any kids.  Do you know what that makes him?

the_last_dragon_movie.jpg

• Like 2

So Restorations posed this question on twitter and I found it pretty interesting, so I figure I'd throw it up on here: 

Which band (or bands) in your opinion have had a perfect three record stretch? Also, for bands with more than three records, please define the period. 

Since he always had a band--Prince, and it covers nearly 15 years.

You could talk me into downgrading Graffiti Bridge with some ease, expect it features "Round and Round" from Tevin Campbell and "Melody Cool" from Mavis Staples.  Plus, D&P was good, so GF stays IMO.

• Like 1

Jesus, there's nothing worse than the Grammy's trying to be "profound" and ending up with Madonna showing up to do an Iron Sheik-esque run-in singing one of her old songs at half tempo...like demerol tempo.

Music is, like, the worst of the arts/hobbies sometimes.  Like when it's bad, no other art can touch how bad it is.

• Like 1

LOL. Madonna as Boss Hogg made a horrible idea somehow better and worse at the same time!  She even had a pimp cane which she was inexplicably using as a real cane!  Like, I wasn't sure if she could stand on her own until she actually did it. Are those couples just going to lie about how they got married going forward?

Some of the other performances were fun, I guess.  Beyonce/Jay was cool and Kendrick/Imagine Dragons was the highlight.  GKMC got robbed, but nobody gives a shit about anything other than the performances.  Kendrick still came out on top.

I'm just saying that the idea that the grammys have fuck all to do with music as an artform is ludicrous. The grammys are just spectacle, and spectacle has nothing to do with the artful uses of sound and silence. Spectacle might incorporate music, which is where you might be getting this all twisted, but the point has never been music.

Something that would make the grammys actually interesting is if they gave up the artifice of honoring the achievements of an art form and presented it like a playoff game. Experienced sports commentators crunching the business numbers and talking about the stories of the artists leading to their moment of supreme profitability. Tested veterans against young underdogs, long-standing fringe characters taking on financial forces making the same power moves. That'd build some actual tension for the awards!

basically my main point is that peyton manning is daft punk and they can all burn in shit forever

and also fuck the grammys

• Like 1

Music is, like, the worst of the arts/hobbies sometimes.  Like when it's bad, no other art can touch how bad it is.

This is the truest statement I think I've ever read on this board.  I'd add an addendum to this though it is always at its worse when musicians start sucking each other's dicks about how great they are. 

I'm trying to think of a single end of award show performance where they get a bunch of people on stage to do the whole, "look at how great we are," that isn't a giant shit show.

I'm just saying that the idea that the grammys have fuck all to do with music as an artform is ludicrous. The grammys are just spectacle, and spectacle has nothing to do with the artful uses of sound and silence. Spectacle might incorporate music, which is where you might be getting this all twisted, but the point has never been music.

Something that would make the grammys actually interesting is if they gave up the artifice of honoring the achievements of an art form and presented it like a playoff game. Experienced sports commentators crunching the business numbers and talking about the stories of the artists leading to their moment of supreme profitability. Tested veterans against young underdogs, long-standing fringe characters taking on financial forces making the same power moves. That'd build some actual tension for the awards!

basically my main point is that peyton manning is daft punk and they can all burn in shit forever

and also fuck the grammys

Totally, but this is still the best place to make fun of it!  Fuck Peyton Manning.

I don't understand why people watch the Grammys.

Kendrick performing with Imagine Dragons basically ruins him for me, and Led Zeppelin was nominated for Best Rock Album in fucking 2014.

No one watches the Grammys, silly. Youtube is a thing..  

Kendrick can not be ruined, BTW.  That performance was legit except for the censors playing whack-a-mole.

I don't understand why people watch the Grammys.

Kendrick performing with Imagine Dragons basically ruins him for me, and Led Zeppelin was nominated for Best Rock Album in fucking 2014.

The Macklamore thing is getting some backlash, and everyone is trying to act like it is a race thing and not a, that wasn't the best rap that came out this year thing.  They should make a seperate category for rap that is actually liked by people who like rap. I don't know any rap fans who would say that is the best rap song, album, performance, or anything else this year.  The thing is, it isn't exactly bad, but I'd bet the people who bought the Macklamore album didn't buy 3 other rap albums last year.  It seems like rap for people who don't really like rap, which is fine except that shouldn't be winning awards for a genre that it really doesn't represent. 

Another thing I don't understand is how the fuck is Good Kid Maad City nominated in the 2014 Grammy's isn't that album like two years old? 

But Lindsey Buckingham playing the opening synth loop on "Copy of A" on acoustic guitar was kinda badass though, right?

Even though it's kinda sad that unless you're willing to duet with a rapper or a Top 40 act, the only way a rock act can get on the show is at the very end while they play ads for airlines over your song.